Chit Chat

Hashtag Help

2»

Re: Hashtag Help

• Question: How does one "snag" a hashtag? It's not like a domain name you have to register... How does one lay claim to a hashtag?
    Not sure if this meant to be tongue in cheek or not, but just in case:

For us, we want to use it to help collect photos taken that day, so we wanted to find a hashtag that other people were least likely to use.  I use hashtags all the time on Instagram, as do a lot of our friends, so for us it just made sense.

In this case, since the guest list will likely share a lot of the same guests, if both couples used the same hashtag, when looking through the photos, they'd have to figure out if it was their wedding or SIL's so I think OP was just going to let SIL have it rather than create a ridiculous stink over something ridiculous.
    I was being snarky. There is not a way to lay claim to a hashtag other than using it... So if OP decided to use the hashtag, but did not actually begin using it, then it was not really hers to begin with. If that makes sense.

OP, I do agree with @AtomicBlonde that there are a ton of ways to incorporate McMahon into a hashtag while still being clever... #NextMcMahonUp #2017McMahonAndWife and I do enjoy #McMahonCaughtCrabbs

ETA: Who is getting married first? Because most hashtag usage will happen on the day of the wedding, if you're getting married first, there really isn't anything stopping you from using it. Except possibly the wrath of FI's brother and his fiance.
    @madamerwin ... Much to my future SIL's dismay I am getting married first - actually I inadvertently picked her original wedding date that she wanted before she was even engaged. Commence bride wars. 

I do love #nextmcmahonup too. That's fun!!!
    Did she know you planned to use #McMahonandWife? Is it possible that she was so upset you "stole" her wedding date that she decided to steal your hashtag? If so, tread lightly... I mean, you really could just use the original hashtag since your wedding is first, and then you will have established ownership, so to speak. But if she is really upset you might be "stealing her thunder" then using another hashtag could save you a headache.
    That's most likely the case. I asked her opinion on it back in February. Someone else said that was probably the reason she took it which is why I figured I should just get something else. 
  • madamerwinmadamerwin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2016
    #shesthemcmahon
    Love it!

Question: How does one "snag" a hashtag? It's not like a domain name you have to register... How does one lay claim to a hashtag?
    Not sure if this meant to be tongue in cheek or not, but just in case:

For us, we want to use it to help collect photos taken that day, so we wanted to find a hashtag that other people were least likely to use.  I use hashtags all the time on Instagram, as do a lot of our friends, so for us it just made sense.

In this case, since the guest list will likely share a lot of the same guests, if both couples used the same hashtag, when looking through the photos, they'd have to figure out if it was their wedding or SIL's so I think OP was just going to let SIL have it rather than create a ridiculous stink over something ridiculous.
    I was being snarky. There is not a way to lay claim to a hashtag other than using it... So if OP decided to use the hashtag, but did not actually begin using it, then it was not really hers to begin with. If that makes sense.

OP, I do agree with @AtomicBlonde that there are a ton of ways to incorporate McMahon into a hashtag while still being clever... #NextMcMahonUp #2017McMahonAndWife and I do enjoy #McMahonCaughtCrabbs

ETA: Who is getting married first? Because most hashtag usage will happen on the day of the wedding, if you're getting married first, there really isn't anything stopping you from using it. Except possibly the wrath of FI's brother and his fiance.
    @madamerwin ... Much to my future SIL's dismay I am getting married first - actually I inadvertently picked her original wedding date that she wanted before she was even engaged. Commence bride wars. 

I do love #nextmcmahonup too. That's fun!!!
    Did she know you planned to use #McMahonandWife? Is it possible that she was so upset you "stole" her wedding date that she decided to steal your hashtag? If so, tread lightly... I mean, you really could just use the original hashtag since your wedding is first, and then you will have established ownership, so to speak. But if she is really upset you might be "stealing her thunder" then using another hashtag could save you a headache.
    That's most likely the case. I asked her opinion on it back in February. Someone else said that was probably the reason she took it which is why I figured I should just get something else. 
    Isn't she a peach. Honestly, you should just use the hashtag. She can't prevent it, and if she is just being spiteful, that's stupid.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards