Wedding Etiquette Forum

Can you refuse a gift?

2»

Re: Can you refuse a gift?

• My parents sent us a bottle of wine to the hotel where we were on our honeymoon. 
  • When I was in college as my bday gift my parents would "throw" me a birthday party by doing the same thing and picking up the check at a dinner with me and my friends. They would call the restaurant before hand with their CC info and approval (which I'm guessing the server wrote down with the reservation). I assume they also specified a tip on the card. 

Can confirm - pretty easy / standard thing to do (especially with restaurants on the higher end of average) and not even remotely a logistically nightmare.

Op - you are overthinking this. Enjoy yourselves. Don't order like, two entrees so you can have one for lunch the next day or anything crazy like that. Don't get the most expensive bottle of wine. Get whatever entree you want and enjoy.
    Thank you - it's good to hear people have done this successfully, as I've never heard of it being done before!
  • If you haven't already I would check with the restaurant that they would be okay doing this. Just because other places will do it doesn't mean this restaurant will. I would also get confirmation from a manager working there, not just a regular staff member just to be sure. 

I've never heard of people doing this before, is it a common thing? 
    It's not uncommon in a nice restaurant.  I know several people who have done this and had it done for me like I said before.  A diner or Applebee's might not be willing to do it but a fine dining restaurant is probably not going to be lost at the request.
  • If you haven't already I would check with the restaurant that they would be okay doing this. Just because other places will do it doesn't mean this restaurant will. I would also get confirmation from a manager working there, not just a regular staff member just to be sure. 

I've never heard of people doing this before, is it a common thing? 
    It's not uncommon in a nice restaurant.  I know several people who have done this and had it done for me like I said before.  A diner or Applebee's might not be willing to do it but a fine dining restaurant is probably not going to be lost at the request.
    Agreed. It happens in business all the time. Where I work, if we have a rare big team outing, there's an events person that sets up the event and that includes ensuring the company card is billed. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards