Wedding Woes
Options

My husband doesn't praise me like he should.

2»

Re: My husband doesn't praise me like he should.

• Options
    VarunaTT said:
    I don't care what *I* think about someone else's post about their partner.

If your partner says to you, "This would make me feel special and I would like you to do it for me and make me feel special," you *&^%$! do it (w/in logical reason, don't murder someone).  Doing this literally costs this man nothing and helps his wife feel like she's special to him.

Yeah, little projection here.
    I'm with @VarunaTT.  If you love someone, you should by definition want to make them happy.  If they share with you something that would bring them joy and cost you no money and extremely little in the way of time, why wouldn't you do it?  What possible reasonable explanation could you have for denying them that happiness?  I think the unwillingness to take even such a small action for her sake is the real problem here.

She told him what she wants.  Maybe it's silly, maybe it's not inherently his style.  But what kind of a jerk would rather choose to make his partner feel sad and hurt than type the words "Happy Birthday to my lovely wife Jane"?

I think we all have a responsibility to do for our partners, particularly when such actions cost us nothing.
    If my husband told me that he needed some sort of public affirmation of our relationship, I'd be concerned. Why? Why is that a thing you need? I can understand enjoying it if it your partner posts a public affirmation of you, but if your partner isn't the sort of person to do this thing, I feel like it should be much easier to shrug and get over.

I understand simple things like "I wish you'd make more of an effort not to drop your shit on the floor here, I'm liable to trip over it." Or even, "I wish you'd bring me flowers more often." But if it's something that could be symptomatic of a relationship concern, I'd be less likely just to roll with it and post the damn thing to make him feel "happy." Would that really be the thing that makes him happy? I'd want to know more about why he felt I needed to declare my love for him publicly.

Public affirmations can be very valuable in a relationship. Someone who is privately committed but unable to be proud of their relationship in their relationship is concerning to me. You've clearly never been in a relationship with someone who is privately into you but won't introduce you to their friends, family, etc. Feeling like they don't receive public affirmations can be symptomatic of feeling like your partner is "embarrassed" by you, which is super clearly a problem. 

Personally, I think FB is kind of silly, but public affirmations are important to me in some way shape or form, because I want my man to be as proud to be with me as I am to be with him.

There is a huge gap between "OMGGGG MY WIFE IS THE BEST EVERRRR AND SHES MY CUPCAKEPANTS AND I LOVE HER FACE" on facebook and "privately committed but unable to be proud of their relationship in their relationship" (I assume you mean public here). That's a HUGE jump! It's a giant conclusion to jump to, to assume that LW's husband is ashamed of her because he doesn't post sappy-ass shit on facebook.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    lovegood90lovegood90 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2016
    Whoa, some major projection going on here. Since when do people who think it's silly/stupid/unnecessary to have public affirmations about their relationship plastered on social media are all of a sudden trying to be "cool" (and like Jennifer Lawrence, what even?)

This line of thinking is no different than people who go around saying "Oh I'm not like most girls/I'm not like other girls," etc. I don't get why people can't have different opinions about things without one person trying to undermine the other...but I guess that's where the projection comes in, right?

Formerly martha1818

• Options
    edited May 2016
    VarunaTT said:
    I don't care what *I* think about someone else's post about their partner.

If your partner says to you, "This would make me feel special and I would like you to do it for me and make me feel special," you *&^%$! do it (w/in logical reason, don't murder someone).  Doing this literally costs this man nothing and helps his wife feel like she's special to him.

Yeah, little projection here.
    I'm with @VarunaTT.  If you love someone, you should by definition want to make them happy.  If they share with you something that would bring them joy and cost you no money and extremely little in the way of time, why wouldn't you do it?  What possible reasonable explanation could you have for denying them that happiness?  I think the unwillingness to take even such a small action for her sake is the real problem here.

She told him what she wants.  Maybe it's silly, maybe it's not inherently his style.  But what kind of a jerk would rather choose to make his partner feel sad and hurt than type the words "Happy Birthday to my lovely wife Jane"?

I think we all have a responsibility to do for our partners, particularly when such actions cost us nothing.
    If my husband told me that he needed some sort of public affirmation of our relationship, I'd be concerned. Why? Why is that a thing you need? I can understand enjoying it if it your partner posts a public affirmation of you, but if your partner isn't the sort of person to do this thing, I feel like it should be much easier to shrug and get over.

I understand simple things like "I wish you'd make more of an effort not to drop your shit on the floor here, I'm liable to trip over it." Or even, "I wish you'd bring me flowers more often." But if it's something that could be symptomatic of a relationship concern, I'd be less likely just to roll with it and post the damn thing to make him feel "happy." Would that really be the thing that makes him happy? I'd want to know more about why he felt I needed to declare my love for him publicly.
    Hold on a minute here...why is it "acceptable" to ask him to spend money on severed plant parts but not kosher to ask that he not treat her like a dirty little secret?  Just because *you* desire flowers more than you desire public acknowledgment of your relationship?  Not everyone has the same priorities.

Everybody has their own favorite little things that make them feel loved/valued.  Clearly the letter writer enjoys the social recognition that comes from being in a relationship.  "Should" she feel that way?  I don't think that is for any of us to judge.  But she does feel that way, and it costs the husband nothing to extend her that kindness.

Look, I would feel differently if she was demanding daily paragraphs-long treatises on his love for her.  But "Happy Mother's Day to my wife Sally.  Can't wait to welcome our little one in July."  That is like...baseline level acknowledgement that she exists.  There is no possible way that a functional person would find that to be excessively emotionally taxing.

Okay, excessively emotionally taxing, no, but for me, even your little sentence would make me uncomfortable. I, personally, think that's totally unnecessary and cheesy. I'm assuming LW's husband saw her personally on mother's day and/or he has her phone number. Why is speaking directly to her - saying the exact same thing - less great than typing it out indirectly to her?

Regardless, though, LW's husband has made it clear to her that he doesn't want to post sap on the facebook. LW needs to let it go, IMHO.

ETA: If the facebook posts are the only issue, I think LW needs to move on. IF the lack of FB posts are part of a bigger problem, I think that needs to be addressed but that a sappy post on FB is not a solution to a bigger problem.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    Some people like public affirmations.  I mean, hell, WTF is a wedding besides a big damn public affirmation?  I just don't see an issue with it and it seems a really small thing to do for your partner.  And again, it doesn't matter what *I* think about it, it's for her, from him.
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    Some people like public affirmations.  I mean, hell, WTF is a wedding besides a big damn public affirmation?  I just don't see an issue with it and it seems a really small thing to do for your partner.  And again, it doesn't matter what *I* think about it, it's for her, from him.
    I just don't think him doing the really small thing will actually solve her issue, whatever it is.
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2016
    I try to take the LW at face value.  Unless she considers "Tuesday" a special occasion, which then I would say she was out of line, birthdays, Mother's Day, anniversaries, I think are fair game.
  • Options
    H doesn't post on Facebook about me, and I very, very rarely post about him.  We're married, and we love each other, and we know we love each other, and that's more than enough for both of us.  I posted something stupid sappy on the anniversary of the day we met, mostly because it was pure chance that we even met and it still blows my mind that a 10-second random encounter at my front door that happened because I had to cancel my plans for the day has led to a marriage and a lifetime together.

We have friends who are in a rocky relationship (similar to @spockforprez)and they post CONSTANTLY about how much they love each other and how they're so lucky to have each other and how no marriage is perfect, so that's where my disillusionment comes from.  I don't feel the need to tell the world how much I love H, and while I won't deny I'd be flattered if he did that for me, I don't need him to, nor would I ask him to.  The world knows, because a lot of our world attended our wedding and saw for themselves that we love each other.  If I asked and he delivered, that would cheapen it for me.  It's the spontaneity of his small acts of affection that are what really speak to me.

I'm not saying that it's wrong to tell the world.  I just think it's wrong to tell the world solely to validate your feelings, and that's the sense I get from within my social media circle.  The people who don't post don't fight, and the people who fight a lot post a lot.  Obviously, this isn't a universal truth.

LW sounded really whiny to me.  If H shows affection outside of social media, that's what's real.  If H didn't have a Facebook account at all, would she be pressuring him to create one so he could post about her?
    LOL, I would wonder if we know the same people! 

FI and I don't even have our relationship status on FB. When I was pregnant, I asked people not to mention it on FB because there were people that I didn't want to know via FB until after our son was born. 

The most I will do is tag FI when I find something nerdy that I think he'll like and vice versa. Usually if he wants to tell me he loves me, he tells me, or if I'm not right there, he'll text me. 

I agree that LW seems insecure, but it could be because her DH just isn't that affectionate in real life, or because she sees all her friends' relationships being played out on social media and wonders what she's missing. 
  • Options
    Two pages plus pop-offing...It's like the WW days of yore. 

• Options
    edited May 2016
    VarunaTT said:
    Compromise is about both sides giving up something and maybe being a little happy and a little unhappy. 

It feels real odd to hear a bunch of women stating that LW should change her mind and what makes her feel good to protect her husband's feelings over what makes her feel special to him (and again, not talking about murder here, just a FB post).  AND force her to change to not only recognize his love language, but accept that HIS love language is the one she should accept and respect, not ask him to recognize and meet hers.  Isn't the whole point of the love language book to help you recognize your spouse's language and help you meet them?  With the idea that they do the same for you?  I don't remember it being, "Figure out your spouse's and change yours to that so they don't have to work at it".

Then, the judging her for telling him, "This would make me feel special"?  I'm sorry, did I miss the memo where we gave up on, "Use your words" and fostering communication?  Again, just b/c you think the "thing" is stupid, doesn't mean it actually is or shouldn't be paid attention to.  What if she wanted a stuffed teddy bear from the hospital where the kid is born?  What if she wanted him to go to a Justin Bieber concert with her.  I can think of plenty of things I think are stupid for a grown ass woman to do with her husband, but if that makes her happy and he wants to make her happy and that keeps it going, I'd rather be supportive.

I think him posting something on a special occasion like her first Mother's Day, or a big birthday/anniversary (5 years, 30th birthday) and her not bringing it up again after that is a pretty good compromise.  Just b/c you don't like what she likes, doesn't mean she's an idiot or that her wants/needs are invalid.
    I think the first part is a really fair criticism. If this is really something she needs, they should find a compromise that works for both of them. If this is something that is hurting her feelings then yes she should bring it up to him, but I think a number of the posts here were suggesting she should also look at the root of these feelings as well. 

I think the reason im so defensive about this is that I've had a number of people, MIL and other people who know H well, make comments about his lack of affection in public (Facebook or otherwise). We're not public displays of affection people, it just doesn't work for us. It frustrates me that there is an attitude that things are not validated unless they are "Facebook official". I honestly don't think its healthy behavior to be so concerned about what is online to the extent that you devalue what is happening in reality. 

ETA: I'm a feminist and believe it asking for thing you need. But I also respect my H a lot and if I'm asking him to do something that he doesn't feel comfortable doing I'm going to make sure it's something I actually need rather than its something other people's actions or words and making me think I need. 
  • Options
    I get that.  FB is a very odd modern intrusion into our daily lives.  I always had my relationship status hidden and when the divorce hit, I was so goddamn glad I had.  At the same time, this is really no different than the family Christmas letter that everyone used to make fun of too.  For some people, it's eye roll worthy.  For others, they like to hear about that stuff.  

I also tend to think of my FB as my own little dictatorship and people can do whatever the hell they want with it.  I posted too damn much, so I started a Page, so I didn't have to annoy all of my friends.  I figure if you took the time to "like" my personal Page, then you signed up to hear all the random Varuna thoughts that I enjoy sending out in the internets.
  • Options

ETA: I'm a feminist and believe it asking for thing you need. But I also respect my H a lot and if I'm asking him to do something that he doesn't feel comfortable doing I'm going to make sure it's something I actually need rather than its something other people's actions or words and making me think I need. 
    Yes! This!! 

Would I be happy/flattered if DH wrote a post for me on bday? Yes.  But he didn't. 

HE DID get up early to go our favorite doughnut shop to get fresh doughnuts and then got me flowers and cards (and cards are NOT his thing either (he thinks they're a waste of time and end up in the trash)), but he knows I love giving and receiving them (the funnier, the better).

So not knowing if her H is refusing any request from her or just *this* one would make all the difference.  At face value, if it's just the FB shit...she needs to think about why she feels she needs this and also, what her husband DOES do to make her happy. 
    And there's the difference.  He thinks cards are stupid; you love giving/receiving them.  So he did that thing.

I really think this is more about how you guys value/think an FB post.  I really feel like if she had said nearly anything else, you'd be more down on the husband.
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:

Yes! This!! 

Would I be happy/flattered if DH wrote a post for me on bday? Yes.  But he didn't. 

HE DID get up early to go our favorite doughnut shop to get fresh doughnuts and then got me flowers and cards (and cards are NOT his thing either (he thinks they're a waste of time and end up in the trash)), but he knows I love giving and receiving them (the funnier, the better).

So not knowing if her H is refusing any request from her or just *this* one would make all the difference.  At face value, if it's just the FB shit...she needs to think about why she feels she needs this and also, what her husband DOES do to make her happy. 
    And there's the difference.  He thinks cards are stupid; you love giving/receiving them.  So he did that thing.

I really think this is more about how you guys value/think an FB post.  I really feel like if she had said nearly anything else, you'd be more down on the husband.
    I think you might be right. BUT for me, it's the publicity of it. If LW had said that her H doesn't make out with her at the family reunion or wear a t-shirt that says "I'm with her" and an arrow, I think I'd have the same response. It's not just that I'm not a fan of sappy facebook posts, I'm not a fan of public affection at all. If Mrs.Conn was sad that her H did all these wonderful things but didn't post any pictures of the doughnuts on her facebook, that would be a "her" problem, IMHO.
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:

Yes! This!! 

Feelings are hard, as evidenced by all the responses to this post.  

• Options
    edited May 2016
    OK, true confession here: FW and I are one of those disgustingly mushy couples on FB, but I don't expect it of her. We do tag each other in a lot of posts: things related to our various fandoms, recipes, jokes we think the other person might enjoy. But I try to keep a balance between those and the other things I post.

I do think a conversation between LW and her H is in order, so they can discuss ways that they can make each other feel loved. It is a two-way street; what is LW doing for her H?
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:

Yes! This!! 

I think you might be right. BUT for me, it's the publicity of it. If LW had said that her H doesn't make out with her at the family reunion or wear a t-shirt that says "I'm with her" and an arrow, I think I'd have the same response. It's not just that I'm not a fan of sappy facebook posts, I'm not a fan of public affection at all. If Mrs.Conn was sad that her H did all these wonderful things but didn't post any pictures of the doughnuts on her facebook, that would be a "her" problem, IMHO.
    This is really indicative of how I feel about it as well. I also admit to coming from a place of 'it's not just that I think it's stupid, it's something that makes me uncomfortable', so it's possible I'm projecting that on the husband as well.

But I also think it's possible that someone who doesn't post about their personal life on Facebook isn't just doing it because they think "it's stupid". So I also have to take into the account that if the husband is refusing to do something...yeah, it might be because he doesn't value his wife's feelings. But it could also be something more than that. I think it's different from a card, or flowers, or remembering to pick up the dry cleaning (this is literally the best thing my SO can do in my eyes, lol), because it is something that others are experiencing in addition to the couple.

If it's "Facebook post, or I don't feel loved" for the wife, then, yeah, sorry, I have some judgement about that. He doesn't want to make a Facebook post. Find something else that could satisfy that need.

• Options
    I'll jump in and defend LW here because I was BSC during my pregnancy and I definitely made mountains out of molehills. 

FH and I are almost polar opposites. I'm textbook ENFP, he's textbook ISTP. Our primary love language is "quality time," but the rest of them are totally opposite--I value words of affirmation, he values acts of service, etc. So there are times I get frustrated because I like mushy romantic stuff and he's cracking dumb jokes, and there are times that he gets frustrated that I don't realize that the dumb jokes are, like a PP said about USB drivs, the way he's showing me he loves me.

Yes, there is likely a lot more to LW's fixation on Facebook, and a come to Jesus meetin' probably wouldn't hurt, but I can also see where it's a valid concern and a valid feeling. And when you're pregnant, you're already hyper-sensitive and hyper-aware of how stupid you feel and sound when you say/do things you wouldn't normally. It's possible she realizes how inane this is and can't help feeling stupid about it while feeling disappointed. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards