Chit Chat
Options

Random Thoughts That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Re: Random Thoughts That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

• Options
    Grocery shopping. Always and forever.  

Sometimes, I cut the corn off with a knife. Other times, I eat it kernel by kernel off the cob with my fingers. But I always eat it with Old Bay.  DH thinks I'm a wackadoodle.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    @AtomicBlonde I was just talking to a coworker about Old Bay, and how it's good on a lot of things. I put it on popcorn. Makes sense to put it on corn on the cob, considering both corn on the cob and Old Bay are in a seafood boil, arguably the best meal ever.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I've lived my whole life in NYC (mostly Queens) and I usually say "I'm going to the supermarket" (usually naming specifically where since there are like 6 different ones depending on what I need)...though I think I've said grocery shopping a few times.  Def never food shopping.

My random thought it that yesterday and today were our first two really hot days (80s and humid) and I have no idea how I'm going to make it to the fall.
  • Options
    Grocery shopping. Always and forever.  

Sometimes, I cut the corn off with a knife. Other times, I eat it kernel by kernel off the cob with my fingers. But I always eat it with Old Bay.  DH thinks I'm a wackadoodle.
    I'll have to try Old Bay on corn on the cob. FW doesn't like corn except as popcorn or tortillas (weird, I know), but she loves putting Goya Adobo on popcorn, and so do I. 
  • Options
    @AtomicBlonde I was just talking to a coworker about Old Bay, and how it's good on a lot of things. I put it on popcorn. Makes sense to put it on corn on the cob, considering both corn on the cob and Old Bay are in a seafood boil, arguably the best meal ever.
    One of the other shift captains puts Old Bay on ice cream. He puts it on everything in excessive amounts.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    One of the other shift captains puts Old Bay on ice cream. He puts it on everything in excessive amounts.
    My dad does this, too!  His family is originally from South Jersey, so I think that's where he picked it up.
  • Options
    My dad does this, too!  His family is originally from South Jersey, so I think that's where he picked it up.
    I tried it on cheerios once, but it didn't mix well with the milk. 

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    FI is making red sauce pasta for dinner and usually I have wine but tonight I grabbed a beer. I feel like I'm a traitor.
  • Options
    I have no idea how I eat corn.  I can't remember now that I have to think about it. 

I sunburned the part in my hair coaching outside last week and now it's peeling and I look like I have dandruff

• Options
    I'm from New England and go grocery shopping. Sometimes I call the grocery store the market. I think that's old timey.

I try to grow my short hair out once a year. I lose patience with the ugly phase after a few months and get it chopped again. Also, I need want a pedicure, but whenever I have time to get one, I opt for a nap instead.
    I'm also from New England and H & I say food shopping, market, or just "the store."

I eat corn row by row - like a typewriter.

My office closes at 2pm today for the holiday weekend and there was zero traffic on the expressway this morning. Thank goodness for my regular radio morning show - otherwise I would have thought today was Saturday.

I really just want avocados with salt & pepper on them for dinner.
  • Options

I don't like corn. :/

It's been nearly two years since I stopped biting my nails and it's still really hard for me. I got a manicure last Friday and it still hasn't chipped. I may have to get these more often because I really mess with my fingers and nails much less.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I went food shopping at lunch today.  H loves watermelon and they had some really nice looking ones for a good price.  So I bought one.  While driving back to the office, it kept rolling around in the trunk.   I went to go find it and it had rolled out of its shopping bag and was hiding in the corner.  I can't wait to cut into this thing and see if its watermelon or slush.

Is "food shopping" a northeast thing? Maggie (BTW, where the hell has she been?) is from the NE and she says "food shopping" or "food store". We say "grocery shopping/store" - is that a Midwest thing?

I grew up in South Jersey (where OliveOilsMom is living I presume!) and call it grocery shopping/grocery store. So, personal preference?

I will use food shopping and grocery shopping interchangeably.   I didn't realize food shopping was a regional term!  The More You Know!

• Options
    Good morning,
    a) Grocery store. Grocery shopping. 
    b) I eat corn in rows. Cuts down on the amount of non-eaten corn that squishes on the side of your mouth if you go around the circumference before going down the length.
    c) Did what I just write sound dirty or is that just me?
    d) We've lived in our new place a month now and are oddly fascinated by our neighbors. The building has individual balconies and it's in a U-shape so we can spy on everyone. We know who's grilling what for dinner, who smokes (answer- tons of people), and who likes to lounge in bare feet and/or their pajamas (which grosses DH out but I don't care). Now I know where the phrase "good fences make good neighbors" probably came from...
    It sounds dirty to me, but I'm filth. It sounds like it should be accompanied by that Michael Buble photo posted earlier in the thread.

• Options
    I'm from New England and go grocery shopping. Sometimes I call the grocery store the market. I think that's old timey.

I try to grow my short hair out once a year. I lose patience with the ugly phase after a few months and get it chopped again. Also, I need want a pedicure, but whenever I have time to get one, I opt for a nap instead.
    I'm also from New England and H & I say food shopping, market, or just "the store."

My office closes at 2pm today for the holiday weekend and there was zero traffic on the expressway this morning. Thank goodness for my regular radio morning show - otherwise I would have thought today was Saturday.

I really just want avocados with salt & pepper on them for dinner

STUPID BOX

I'm also from New England, I use a mix of grocery/food shopping/store and also "go to the market'.

The expressway may have been clear this morning, but wait til this afternoon when all the holiday traffic heads out of town.  I don't envy anyone that needs to commute today.  We are also closing at 2pm so I chose to work from home.

• Options

Don't think this is a South Jersey thing as I have never heard of it!  I do love my Old Bay though!  I use it as the primary spice in my tomato sauce I can each fall. 

I like to cook my corn on the cob on the grill.  I wrap each cleaned ear of corn with a pat of butter and Old Bay.  Wrap them in aluminum foil and roast on the grill while I prepare my meat on the grill.  I then eat the corn like a typewriter.  Left to right, usually a few rows of kernels at a time.

• Options

STUPID BOX

I'm also from New England, I use a mix of grocery/food shopping/store and also "go to the market'.

The expressway may have been clear this morning, but wait til this afternoon when all the holiday traffic heads out of town.  I don't envy anyone that needs to commute today.  We are also closing at 2pm so I chose to work from home.
    I live on the South Shore and I think half of the people heading down the Cape went last night - because it took me over 90 minutes to get home from Boston. I'm fearful of my commute home this afternoon. I might just take back roads the whole way.
  • Options

STUPID BOX

I live on the South Shore and I think half of the people heading down the Cape went last night - because it took me over 90 minutes to get home from Boston. I'm fearful of my commute home this afternoon. I might just take back roads the whole way.
    Yikes!  That's a nasty commute.  I take the T so I don't have to worry about the traffic, but then the T isn't all that reliable most of the time either.

• Options

STUPID BOX

Yikes!  That's a nasty commute.  I take the T so I don't have to worry about the traffic, but then the T isn't all that reliable most of the time either.
    LOL - no it is not! I used to take the red line to Harvard Square and back every day - yikes!!
  • Options
    People are dumb. I'm researching grills and reading reviews. Someone gave this grill 1/5 stars because it "didn't come with a propane tank, which we found quite expensive" and several more gave it less stars because they had to assemble it.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    Haha I love reviews, especially with dumb people. On a related note though, I was looking at door stoppers with alarms. One of the reviews was simply, "Don't buy if you have cats. I will be returning mine." (And that's truly very helpful advice!) I can just picture a poor cat stepping on this alarmed door stopper and jumping 8 feet into the air before bolting down a hallway (apparently the alarm is as loud as a boat horn). 

• Options

I was just talking with a co-worker about dumb reviewers this morning!  When I was looking at stoves, I really wanted a heavy duty one with cast iron grates on top.  One reviewer docked it a few stars because when she wipes down the grates with paper towels, they tear up and leave little bits of towel all over it.

And the person who set their grill on fire was probably cooking something really greasy.  I purchased cheapy burgers once and every time I cooked them, there was a grease fire at the bottom of the grill after I finished cooking.  We never bought those burgers again!

We also made sure we purchased a pre-assembled grill when we moved to our new house.  They can be worse than ikea furniture to put together!  If we have to, we will pay for assembly on a grill.  But we purchased our current grill from Lowes and they had them all pre-assembled for free.

• Options
    That's what we did, we got ours pre-assembled.  We had to rent a truck to get it home, but it was so worth it.

Dumb reviews are more often than not the best.  This wasn't a review, but I was looking at magnetic spice tins on Amazon a few weeks ago, and you know how people can ask questions about the product that other purchasers can answer?

Some smart ass posted this: "The description says that these will "hold up to three ounces of your favorite spice." What is the capacity for spices that aren't my favorite?"

Part of me thinks the individual was actually serious...
    This reminds me of an Amazon review I saw the other day. I was looking at tagines (cast iron or ceramic pots with conical lids, commonly used for Moroccan cuisine). They are usually quite large. There was one that caught my eye, a Le Creuset Mini Tagine for $24.99, which should lead anyone familiar with kitchenware to read the description - Le Creuset products usually run in the hundreds of dollars. There was a one-star review, because the person thought the description should have been more clear that it's meant to hold spices, and it was much smaller than they thought and they were disappointed it was not larger. The product title, in big letters at the top, clearly states it has a 3.5 oz capacity. Do people just not know how big a fluid ounce is? Does "mini tagine" not give you a hint about the size? And something from Le Creuset for $25 is most definitely going to be tiny. 

People buy shit without actually reading product descriptions, and then get mad when the product doesn't match their expectations. People are dumb.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    People are dumb. I'm researching grills and reading reviews. Someone gave this grill 1/5 stars because it "didn't come with a propane tank, which we found quite expensive" and several more gave it less stars because they had to assemble it.
    Not long ago, H and I were doing the same thing.  We about lost it when one reviewer complained that "anything higher than the low temperature setting will cause the unit to catch on fire, this has happened twice."

The fact that he tried again after the unit was (as we imagined it to be) engulfed in flames was hilarious.

FTR: We bought the grill and it has not set anything on fire.
    I'm pretty sure the people who leave these kind of reviews are the same people responsible for the warning label on my flat iron that says "do not use while sleeping"

Or the prescription medicine commercials that always disclaim, "Do not take Invoflyzine (totally made this word up) if you are allergic to Invoflyzine or any of its ingredients."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That's what we did, we got ours pre-assembled.  We had to rent a truck to get it home, but it was so worth it.

Dumb reviews are more often than not the best.  This wasn't a review, but I was looking at magnetic spice tins on Amazon a few weeks ago, and you know how people can ask questions about the product that other purchasers can answer?

Some smart ass posted this: "The description says that these will "hold up to three ounces of your favorite spice." What is the capacity for spices that aren't my favorite?"

Part of me thinks the individual was actually serious...

If I were the seller, I would have responded, "Six ounces for spices that are not your favorite.  Three ounces for initially putting in a spice you don't like and then another three ounces when you dump it out and put in a more favored spice."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards