Chit Chat

Fake Proposals

My twin sister sent me a text last night, with a picture of her left hand wearing a ring and the caption "guess what". Of course I acted excited for her, and then she informed me that it was a joke. As I am actually getting married in two months, I thought it was pretty immature. Secretly I was relieved because I think her BF is a jerk, but I won't get into that. 

Are fake proposals actually a thing people do?

Re: Fake Proposals

• My twin sister sent me a text last night, with a picture of her left hand wearing a ring and the caption "guess what". Of course I acted excited for her, and then she informed me that it was a joke. As I am actually getting married in two months, I thought it was pretty immature. Secretly I was relieved because I think her BF is a jerk, but I won't get into that. 

Mostly those craving attention.

My stepdad's wife actually went out and got herself a wedding dress for a fake wedding announcement. I could still smell the desperation 2000 miles away and a year later.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I've seen a few on April Fool's Day, but that's it. 

I also once saw a proposal recreated for the sole purpose of taking pictures of the moment (the girl was a horrible actress, by the way); that couple ended up divorcing within three years...

• My twin sister sent me a text last night, with a picture of her left hand wearing a ring and the caption "guess what". Of course I acted excited for her, and then she informed me that it was a joke. As I am actually getting married in two months, I thought it was pretty immature. Secretly I was relieved because I think her BF is a jerk, but I won't get into that. 

Mostly those craving attention.

My stepdad's wife actually went out and got herself a wedding dress for a fake wedding announcement. I could still smell the desperation 2000 miles away and a year later.

I figured it was an attention thing, but she's never been one to outright lie for attention. Exaggerate, sure, but not lie. She seems to be in a rush to grow up and get married, have kids, etc. 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I've seen that kind of stuff around April Fool's day but not just randomly. I hate it no matter when it is
  • I have a friend from high school on facebook who has a kid with her boyfriend of 2+ years. Sometime last year she posted a picture of her hand with an engagement ring and said "He asked! I said yes!" and it had over 100 likes and comments congratulating them. I went to leave a comment and saw her boyfriend had commented "What the hell??" and she commented "LOL its a joke!". SO awkward! They broke up a few months afterwards.
  • I hate anything that gets emailed or posted to social media as a fake out.

DH fake proposed to me before he actually did.   I knew it was coming and in the weeks before he'd say, "Oooooo what's this shiny thing in my pocket??   It's a QUARTER!!!"

• banana468 said:
    I hate anything that gets emailed or posted to social media as a fake out.

DH fake proposed to me before he actually did.   I knew it was coming and in the weeks before he'd say, "Oooooo what's this shiny thing in my pocket??   It's a QUARTER!!!"

I'm thankful that it was a text message and not Facebook. I'd be more mad then. 
  • SaintPaulGalSaintPaulGal member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2016
    Oops.  Accidental-multi-post-a-palooza in here.
  • I figured it was an attention thing, but she's never been one to outright lie for attention. Exaggerate, sure, but not lie. She seems to be in a rush to grow up and get married, have kids, etc. 

Hold on a second here.  This is your TWIN sister.  By definition, the two of you are the same age.  So why is your swiftly-approaching marriage okay but her desires to settle down mean that she is "in a rush to grow up."  If anything, it sounds like you are the one "rushing."  How old are the two of you?

It is weird and attention-seeking to pretend to be engaged.  Whenever I hear of people who do this, I always think about how painful and unpleasant it must be to come clean and have your desperation laid bare for all to see.  Yikes.
    We are 24. Maybe I should have phrased that differently.There's nothing wrong with her desires to do these things, but I think there is a difference between doing it because you want to and just because other people your age are. I would be ok with her getting married, but she needs to get her life together first in my opinion. She's not in the right place now with her health or finances to do either of these things (marriage and kids). 
    I love my sister and don't want her rushing into things with the wrong guy, and I believe her BF is the wrong guy. 
  • I figured it was an attention thing, but she's never been one to outright lie for attention. Exaggerate, sure, but not lie. She seems to be in a rush to grow up and get married, have kids, etc. 

Hold on a second here.  This is your TWIN sister.  By definition, the two of you are the same age.  So why is your swiftly-approaching marriage okay but her desires to settle down mean that she is "in a rush to grow up."  If anything, it sounds like you are the one "rushing."  How old are the two of you?

It is weird and attention-seeking to pretend to be engaged.  Whenever I hear of people who do this, I always think about how painful and unpleasant it must be to come clean and have your desperation laid bare for all to see.  Yikes.
    We are 24. Maybe I should have phrased that differently.There's nothing wrong with her desires to do these things, but I think there is a difference between doing it because you want to and just because other people your age are. I would be ok with her getting married, but she needs to get her life together first in my opinion. She's not in the right place now with her health or finances to do either of these things (marriage and kids). 
    I love my sister and don't want her rushing into things with the wrong guy, and I believe her BF is the wrong guy. 

• edited June 2016
    I figured it was an attention thing, but she's never been one to outright lie for attention. Exaggerate, sure, but not lie. She seems to be in a rush to grow up and get married, have kids, etc. 

We are 24. Maybe I should have phrased that differently. There's nothing wrong with her desires to do these things, but I think there is a difference between doing it because you want to and just because other people your age are. I would be ok with her getting married, but she needs to get her life together first in my opinion. She's not in the right place now with her health or finances to do either of these things (marriage and kids). 
  • edited June 2016
    I've seen a few on April Fool's Day, but that's it. 

I also once saw a proposal recreated for the sole purpose of taking pictures of the moment (the girl was a horrible actress, by the way); that couple ended up divorcing within three years...
    One of my friends changed her relationship status to engaged on April Fools' Day, and because she has an odd sense of humor, I was sure she was joking. I commented "??????" and she confirmed that she was telling the truth. She and her FI are in their 50s.

ETA: Even if she had been joking, I like her FH a lot more than I liked her xH, so I wouldn't have been more than mildly annoyed, but that's just me.
  • I had a friend get fake engaged on April 1 and then get real engaged less than two weeks later. For the first couple days she had to post, "No, we are actually engaged this time!" I thought that was a hilarious punishment. 
    I told my sister if they do end up engaged this will make me less likely to believe it. She said she read it in Cosmo and that's what inspired her to do it...
  • Oh, speaking of April Fool's, I actually did get engaged on March 30. We were out of the country on vacation and my family were forewarned it would happen (DH had asked for Dad's blessing), so I only was able to text my sister that it happened. We got back April 3 or 4 if memory serves, so I was spared a April Fool's fake-out. Haha. 

• My cousin April Fooled a wedding this year. They had photos and everything. So many congrats and likes. I sort of hope when she does get married that she doesn't get the same response. I really hate it when people mock something so important.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2016
    Five years ago, my daughter called and said, "Guess what, Mom!  I'm pregnant!  No, really, I'm engaged!"  (She wasn't pregnant at the time.)
    Payback - she is now 9 months preggers and stressing because she can't control what is happening to her body now...and she thought it was a joke!  I can't wait to see that new baby when he is born!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • ernursej said:
    My cousin April Fooled a wedding this year. They had photos and everything. So many congrats and likes. I sort of hope when she does get married that she doesn't get the same response. I really hate it when people mock something so important.
    I'm trying to imagine how you would do this... Photoshop your faces onto someone else's photos?
  • ernursej said:
    My cousin April Fooled a wedding this year. They had photos and everything. So many congrats and likes. I sort of hope when she does get married that she doesn't get the same response. I really hate it when people mock something so important.
    I'm trying to imagine how you would do this... Photoshop your faces onto someone else's photos?

Nope, they had a fake ceremony in Vegas. I'm still waiting to find out that they actually had a real ceremony but thought it was fake and are actually married ... joke on them.
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    ernursej said:
    ernursej said:

Nope, they had a fake ceremony in Vegas. I'm still waiting to find out that they actually had a real ceremony but thought it was fake and are actually married ... joke on them.

wtf??  I mean I guess as long as they didn't sign a license it would not be real but seriously wtf.
  • kvruns said:
    ernursej said:
    ernursej said:

wtf??  I mean I guess as long as they didn't sign a license it would not be real but seriously wtf.
    Do they honestly believe that what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas?? 
  • ernursej said:
    ernursej said:

That is way too elaborate an April Fools' Day joke for me. Wow. 
  • This reminds me of the cosmo article where the girls who worked there all tried on wedding dresses and sent pictures to their boyfriends as some sort of experiment. WHY?

I think the best part was most of the guys didn't seem to care at all, but also almost immediately after sending the photo the girls sent another text "JUST KIDDING"...so what was the point?

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/fashion/news/a59007/wedding-dress-text/

• banana468 said:
    kvruns said:
    ernursej said:
    ernursej said:

Do they honestly believe that what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas?? 
    ernursej said:
    ernursej said:

That is way too elaborate an April Fools' Day joke for me. Wow. 

Totally agree. My cousin is an interesting person and I really shouldn't be surprised that they would do something like them.
  • This reminds me of the cosmo article where the girls who worked there all tried on wedding dresses and sent pictures to their boyfriends as some sort of experiment. WHY?

I think the best part was most of the guys didn't seem to care at all, but also almost immediately after sending the photo the girls sent another text "JUST KIDDING"...so what was the point?

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/fashion/news/a59007/wedding-dress-text/

This article is great! My favorite were the guys were like, "uhh babe you look great but I don't think you should wear that to your sisters wedding" or something like that. Cosmo was expecting all these freak outs and all they got was a bit of mild confusion or the guys KNOWING it was a cosmo thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards