Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Guest invited herself, I felt bad, now she's invited!?

I have this girl I went to college with who always just happened to be in the same place at the same time as me (same classes, same floor, same study trip, same hometown, et al). She has a touch of Aspberger's and other various mental health issues, where she doesn't pick up on social cues but she's aware enough of what's going on, so I've always been kind to her. She's taken that kindness as best friendship.

She'd message me constantly, and I'd reply once or twice a month. We'd meet up even less than that (per her request) and have the same conversation over and over. This last time she told me how excited she was about me getting married, and how she felt like she was a part of the whole thing (she and I and my fiance went to school together), and how I was her only and very best friend, and how she can't wait for the wedding...then she invited herself. And for whatever reason, I didn't have the heart to tell her she wasn't invited. Because what're you supposed to tell someone like that - OH, ACTUALLY, WE'VE NEVER BEEN FRIENDS, I'M JUST BEING NICE"? 

So I sent her a save-the-date, because I said I would, which I regret doing.

At first, it wasn't that big of a deal. Then she started getting really stalker-y: she messages me 4-5 times a day, she's been going to local places she knows I go to and asking about me, and she's trying to get information from other friends and even finding out who my family is. She thinks I'm hosting a "school reunion" even though I've explained to her time and again it's a wedding, so not everyone we know will be invited and that it's not about that.

Now I'm at the point where I don't want her at the wedding. I've avoided her and haven't replied to her in over two months. I can't handle her neediness, plus my MIL and the family issues, plus wedding planning/DIY-ing, transitioning jobs, AND figuring out moving cross-country after being married! I've tried explaining to her, but she just doesn't get it! 

My videographer and several other friends involved in planning (who also went to school with us) don't want her there because she'll follow them around or get in the way of filming. I'm a little concerned she's going to follow me or my fiance around all night as the hosts! My family and bridal party say I shouldn't invite her. However, my fiance says it's not a big deal and that I should.

We're sending out invitations next week. Any thoughts? 

Re: Guest invited herself, I felt bad, now she's invited!?

• Options
    Two options

1.  Invite her, and offer her a plus one so she has someone else to hang out with that probably knows her and will be better at reigning her in from following you around all night. 

2. Don't invite her, end the friendship. 

Why on on earth you sent her an std when you didn't want her there to begin with is beyond me. I get that you've been thrown into this friendship as a result of being nice / almost an obligation bc you sound like a nice person, but, I feel like you're stuck, for lack of a better word, inviting her. 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Options
    wmam35wmam35 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Answer
    edited June 2016
    I think inviting her with a plus one is your best option.  If you don't send her an invitation it sounds like it's just going to get worse.  Hopefully if you're inviting enough people you'll be able to avoid her anyway. 

Would you be able to sit down with her or call her a few days before the wedding and somehow tell her that you'll be really busy and might not be able to spend very much time with her that day?  I'm not sure how you'd be able to work it organically into a conversation though because I'm not really good at that :/ But if she at least has some kind of heads up that can help prepare her for the day and make you feel a little less stressed about it.
  • Options
    Whatever your friends may say, it's too late not to invite her. I think giving her a plus one is a good idea; if that doesn't work, is there anyone else she'll know at the wedding who can keep her occupied so she doesn't stick to you the entire time? 

I understand that it is very difficult dealing with a needy person who thinks you're better friends than you are. However, you have allowed this to go on for a long time, and if she does have social and mental health difficulties, it's not surprising that she would assume that you are closer than you are. While I do think you need to talk to her about her stalker-like behavior and set some boundaries, I don't think you can abruptly tell her she's not invited to the wedding and end this relationship without causing some serious hurt. If you really didn't want her in your life, you either should've done something about it a long time ago, or you need to wait until after the wedding. This is not the time.
  • Options
    As others said, you've already invited her.  To not send her an invitation at this point would be particularly cruel. 
  • Options

I have family members with Asperger's and every person is a bit different. I would say that generally, social cues are not easily understood and boundaries are often fuzzy.

Since you've sent her a STD, I would invite her with a plus one and then make sure to let her know that you can't spend all your time with her but look forward to seeing her there. If you are worried about stalking, I would draw clear boundaries with her at the time when things start to get out of hand.

Unfortunately, you've let this relationship continue despite your dislike and the cues you've provided = friendship to me. Enjoy your wedding with her in attendance and then know that the friendship will likely fizzle out when you move and put in boundaries.

• Options
    I had a pretty similar situation OP. I had a friend in HS who had Asperger's and I wasn't really pitying him, I did enjoy his company, and I was friendly to him. But then it started getting to the point where he was stalking me and it was really scary. He would show up to my classes and be waiting at my bus stop (when he lived pretty far away). Then he started to keep trying to hug me and pet my hair and stuff and it was too much. It got really scary and stressful for me. I didn't realize he had Asperger's at the time nor did I understand what it was so I ended up going to the school counselor who set up a meeting with my friend and I where he explained first to me what Asperger's was and then kind of facilitated the talk we had so we could draw boundaries on what was acceptable and what wasn't and now we are still friends and it is ok. He didn't realize what he was doing and I didn't realize what I was doing to lead him to think I thought it was ok.

Obviously your situation is a bit different as you're both adults so I agree with PP I think you should wait until after the wedding and then have a heart to heart with this girl. Tell her what makes you uncomfortable and ask that she stops. Ask her what you're doing to make her think you're ok with her behavior and then you stop doing that. Even when dealing with something like Asperger's it's rarely a 1 way street. You are clearly doing things too that make her think you are close friends and you need to correct your behavior as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MesmrEwe said:

Reading this I kind of feel sorry for her too - but mainly because you couldn't just come out and tell her (The fact you know she has Aspies says she trusted you enough to know she needs more direct communications from the get-go).  Boundaries are very important things, and people wonder why those with special needs are so isolated, it's because pity is not a friendship and they've been burned enough times by people they thought were their real friends.  If you're planning to end the friendship, may as well do it before she invests time and money into "the perfect" wedding gift for you.  She considered your friendship to be incredibly valuable, however misguided, and was excited for your wedding because it probably was one of the few non-family ones she'd ever be invited to.  For the future, if you don't like someone, especially someone with a special need, don't string them along "as-if" you do.  They lived life before you, they'll live life after...  Life's too short for fake friends, do her a favor, out hers!

Off topic, but....Is this an ok term now? People have always told me it's really not an ok thing to say, but the first 4 Google results of "is aspie offensive" are pretty chill about it.

Huh?
  • Options
    MesmrEwe said:

Reading this I kind of feel sorry for her too - but mainly because you couldn't just come out and tell her (The fact you know she has Aspies says she trusted you enough to know she needs more direct communications from the get-go).  Boundaries are very important things, and people wonder why those with special needs are so isolated, it's because pity is not a friendship and they've been burned enough times by people they thought were their real friends.  If you're planning to end the friendship, may as well do it before she invests time and money into "the perfect" wedding gift for you.  She considered your friendship to be incredibly valuable, however misguided, and was excited for your wedding because it probably was one of the few non-family ones she'd ever be invited to.  For the future, if you don't like someone, especially someone with a special need, don't string them along "as-if" you do.  They lived life before you, they'll live life after...  Life's too short for fake friends, do her a favor, out hers!

Off topic, but....Is this an ok term now? People have always told me it's really not an ok thing to say, but the first 4 Google results of "is aspie offensive" are pretty chill about it.

Huh?

I think it is a know your crowd thing. My family members that have Asperger's call themselves Aspies, but the rest of the family doesn't refer to them by that term. I might say that I have a cousin with Asperger's.
  • Options
    Looks like OP just wanted validation and wasn't expecting to be told she fucked up.  Oops.  No sympathy here (for OP--I think what she said about the girl is super messed up).

• Options
    ernursej said:
    MesmrEwe said:

Huh?

I think it is a know your crowd thing. My family members that have Asperger's call themselves Aspies, but the rest of the family doesn't refer to them by that term. I might say that I have a cousin with Asperger's.

This is what my friends IRL and parents on the SN groups say when they're referring to the group of symptoms in a non-clinical setting.  It takes it from clinical to a more human level.  Sort of like Down's, unless it's meant in a more clinical description of saying "Down's Syndrome" KWIM...  It's an abbreviation, not derogatory term... 

I kind of felt harsh posting in the tone I did to the OP, but I've dealt with so many of these fake friendships from kids at DD's school to some of our who we thought were "life friends" but disappeared the second the family business was sold..  I just don't have a use for that level of fake, especially to the most vulnerable amongst us...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards