Moms and Maids

Wedding

Re: Wedding

• auriannaaurianna member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2016
    BBQ meat, fruit, and Rice Krispie treats sounds honestly like plenty of food to me! How long was this shower?
    This!
    Also, was the cheese too pasty to eat around in the caprese salad? If not, that could have also been something.

A meat, a side and a dessert. I fail to see the problem here. I go to plenty of showers with very similar options (or lack thereof).
    Was OP expecting 15 different gf/df things even though 90% of the guest list didn't have the same restrictions?
    It sounds like mom had done a huge spread, and apparently there were beautiful decorations... and first thing she gets called into private to be chastised/complained at. While it certainly might not have been OP's intention, it could have come off as very ungrateful to her mom and hurt her feelings.

Would it have been nice if Mom had perhaps thought about OP's favorite dish and included it? Yes. It's nice to keep the guest of honor in mind. But the shower is also about inviting a whole bunch of people to give their time and money (via gifts), so it's good to think about them too.
    Often you want a mix of the following: serves lots of people, easy to make (or buy), inexpensive, tasty, varied. Unfortunately it can be hard to get lots of gf food that fits all of those
  • A DD!  At least poster had the kahuna's to do her own editing this time!
  • Of course she did.  What a speshul snowflake.  

• I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that she needs to be dairy-free, but can totally eat a Rice Krispie Treat with no problem.
  •              
  • I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that she needs to be dairy-free, but can totally eat a Rice Krispie Treat with no problem.
    Vegan margarine. Earth Balance is the bomb.
  • Curious if there was any follow up on this @KnotRiley? Wondering if you had any response to the concerns voiced here and why they pushed so hard for this post (and hoping it won't happen again).  Thanks again for the explanations earlier. 
  • I'm just now seeing this. WTF? Yeah, I'd like to know what made this OP so special. I realize you may not be able to answer that, though, Riley, and I respect your silence if that's the case. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieCake said:
    I'm just now seeing this. WTF? Yeah, I'd like to know what made this OP so special. I realize you may not be able to answer that, though, Riley, and I respect your silence if that's the case. 
    I'm guessing she's related to someone in XO. . .

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• At Christmas dinner at my dad's house Ibwas served a piece of gluten free bread and one twice baked potato.  Literally everything else had gluten in it. I have been gluten free for years and not by choice.

Was I annoyed? Yes. Was I pissed? A little.  Was I "traumatized". Uhhhhh...NO. I got the fuck over it. Next time I go to dinner at Dad's house I will bring my own food.

• I still don't understand why the OP's post had to be edited. It makes no sense. 

Also, rice crispy treats are not vegan, unless you use Earth Balance and vegan marshmallows. 
  • edited June 2016
    I still don't understand why the OP's post had to be edited. It makes no sense. 

Also, rice crispy treats are not vegan, unless you use Earth Balance and vegan marshmallows. 
    Forgot about vegan marshmallows. Marshmallow Fluff has egg white, so that's out.

I was a caregiver for an older lady who taught me how to make Rice Krispies treats with corn syrup and peanut butter as a binder instead of marshmallows. 
  • I still don't understand why the OP's post had to be edited. It makes no sense. 

Forgot about vegan marshmallows. Marshmallow Fluff has egg white, so that's out.

I was a caregiver for an older lady who taught me how to make Rice Krispies treats with corn syrup and peanut butter as a binder instead of marshmallows. 
    Peanut butter! That sounds really delicious. I am going to try to make those! 

Also - I had no idea marshmallows weren't vegan. *The More You Know!*

Marshmallows are made with gelatin. You can get Kosher or Vegan marshmallows made with agar. 

Marshmallows are made with gelatin. You can get Kosher or Vegan marshmallows made with agar. 
    Thanks! I'm not vegan, but I always love trying new things. The next time I am in Whole Foods I will keep my eyes peeled for vegan or Kosher marshmallows. :-)

Thanks! I'm not vegan, but I always love trying new things. The next time I am in Whole Foods I will keep my eyes peeled for vegan or Kosher marshmallows. :-)
    I grew up with Kosher marshmallows when we would make Rice Krispie squares for Girl Guides and was on the lookout for them when FI became Vegan, then I found out they make vegan ones (which are also Kosher). 
    Vegan margarine. Earth Balance is the bomb.
    If mum and sis went to the effort of making krispies with vegan margarine then the OP can piss off!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Look for Sweet &  Sara. I'm almost positive she's at Whole Foods. Her vegan marshmallows are really good. 
  • MCmeowMCmeow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper

Look for Sweet &  Sara. I'm almost positive she's at Whole Foods. Her vegan marshmallows are really good. 
    Ooh back when I used to be a vegan (for seven years damn) these were the bomb, forgot about them, especially the coconut covered ones *drools*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MCmeowMCmeow member
    And also back when I was a vegan I never got food specially made for me. There were so many parties where I filled up on chips and soda and that was my meal. I found out later I have epilepsy and my diet was pretty terrible for my symptoms. I stayed a vegan for another two years (until my body couldn't take it anymore) and would either bring my own snacks or scavenge what was there. Your situation only sounds inconvenient. I can't imagine feeling traumatized by this... The choices you listed sound great. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MCmeow said:

Ooh back when I used to be a vegan (for seven years damn) these were the bomb, forgot about them, especially the coconut covered ones *drools*
    Coconut-covered vegan marshmallows? You are speaking my language, girl!
  • MCmeowMCmeow member
    Time to go on a hunt for these babies: 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MCmeow said:
    I have to see if you can get these in Canada...
  • kylexo said:
    there is a lot to unpack here, but how are you eating rice krispies treats if you're DF? they are full of butter.

ETA: TREATS
    And, at least in Canada, Rice Krispies contain wheat (weird, I know). But there are GF ones as well. 

As someone who can't eat wheat (not a gluten problem, just wheat), I always carry extra food - no matter where I go. Usually it's just gf granola bars that always stay in my purse. 
  • edited June 2016
    MCmeow said:
    If I can find them, I'll trade you for Coffee Crisp bars, @TrixieJess!
  • MCmeow said:
    Lol, sold! Large size, minis, or regular? :smile:
  • MCmeow said:
    Lol, sold! Large size, minis, or regular? :smile:

All of the above!

• BBQ meat, fruit, and Rice Krispie treats sounds honestly like plenty of food to me! How long was this shower?
    Yes, how long is a shower, it's not like it's a full wedding day no?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards