Wedding Etiquette Forum

Family Only wedding & pre wedding events

So a family wedding has recently been changed from a big event of about 180 guests to just immediate family. People had originally been asked to be bridesmaids, groomsmen, ushers, etc. Now that has all been cancelled along with the reception venue and changed to ceremony and dinner with just immediate family. That part is all good.

However, there were also plans in the works for a bachelorette party along with a few bridal showers. Now, I'm thinking those are cancelled as well because you don't invite people to a party for an event when they're not being invited to the event. But it's looking like people still want to throw showers, etc. 

I was supposed to help host these events, but I'm not comfortable inviting people to come and celebrate when they won't be invited to the actual event we're celebrating. How do I handle this? Just say I don't want to help host? I'd still like to help with a small event, just only invite the appropriate people (those invited to the wedding).

How do I deal with all of the "But people want to celebrate" comments? Would love some ideas!

Re: Family Only wedding & pre wedding events

• You're absolutely right, if they're not invited to the event they shouldn't be invited to a shower. Unfortunately, when you elope (kind of what they're doing) you forfeit all the other things that go with a wedding. 

If it's your family pressuring you, just tell them that you're not comfortable hosting a shower under those conditions. 
  • You're correct, it's not appropriate to invite anyone to a shower or other wedding-related event who isn't invited to the wedding.

If someone says to you, "But people will want to celebrate your wedding!" I'd respond, "I'm sorry but it isn't possible for us to do that" without further discussion or explanation, and bean-dip them if they keep bringing it up.
  • It's likely going to be the brides sister and/or friends that are throwing these parties. I just don't want to look like the a$$hole that doesn't want to have the party & invite people that aren't invited to the wedding.

They called off the big wedding due to money (and the grooms parents being extremely childish). So it's literally going to be "We don't want to spend the money to host you at our wedding, but please bring the bride/groom gifts anyway". Ick!! 

I just know I'm going to be the only "host" who thinks this as the brides sister is obviously still invited, so she won't even think of it from the other non-guests point of view.
  • dAsch14 said:
    It's likely going to be the brides sister and/or friends that are throwing these parties. I just don't want to look like the a$$hole that doesn't want to have the party & invite people that aren't invited to the wedding.

They called off the big wedding due to money (and the grooms parents being extremely childish). So it's literally going to be "We don't want to spend the money to host you at our wedding, but please bring the bride/groom gifts anyway". Ick!! 

I just know I'm going to be the only "host" who thinks this as the brides sister is obviously still invited, so she won't even think of it from the other non-guests point of view.
    No is not a naughty word. If you still want to host a party, when they give you the guest list, check that everyone is invited to the wedding. If they insist that people are invited that aren't invited to the wedding, just say "I'm sorry, I can only host a shower for people invited to the wedding." if they press just say "I think our party visions are different so maybe it is best if we skip this shower. I am looking forward to celebrating with you at your wedding".  
  • dAsch14 said:
    So a family wedding has recently been changed from a big event of about 180 guests to just immediate family. People had originally been asked to be bridesmaids, groomsmen, ushers, etc. Now that has all been cancelled along with the reception venue and changed to ceremony and dinner with just immediate family. That part is all good.

However, there were also plans in the works for a bachelorette party along with a few bridal showers. Now, I'm thinking those are cancelled as well because you don't invite people to a party for an event when they're not being invited to the event. But it's looking like people still want to throw showers, etc. 

I was supposed to help host these events, but I'm not comfortable inviting people to come and celebrate when they won't be invited to the actual event we're celebrating. How do I handle this? Just say I don't want to help host? I'd still like to help with a small event, just only invite the appropriate people (those invited to the wedding).

How do I deal with all of the "But people want to celebrate" comments? Would love some ideas!
    This sounds exactly like what my sister did. 
    She did not have a shower. 
    However, I still threw her a bachelorette party. As it turned out, her friends totally understood the change to immediate family only, and did still want to have a girls' night out. It was not a gift giving occasion, it was one night out on the town. 

I'm not endorsing breaking etiquette. Just sharing that her friends (it was a small group, like 6) did still want to do the bachelorette, so I threw it. 

If I were you, I definitely would not touch a shower with a ten-foot pole. But a girls' night out ...ehhhh. Tread carefully.

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I was supposed to be a BM in a friend's big wedding last year, and it ended up getting scaled back to justice of the peace with their parents.  
    We still ended up having a bachelorette party (dinner and drinks), just the bride and a handful of girlfriends, but it took me a good month to convince the MOH to cancel the shower, much like @thisismynickname
    Any gift-giving event should absolutely be canceled...even a Bach party is know-your-crowd.
  • dAsch14 said:

They called off the big wedding due to money (and the grooms parents being extremely childish). So it's literally going to be "We don't want to spend the money to host you at our wedding, but please bring the bride/groom gifts anyway".  

--------------SITB--------
    Sorry but the grooms parents are not required to pay for a big wedding. They aren't being childish for that. Idk if they're doing other things to act childish, but simply not paying for a wedding does NOT make them childish. 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • dAsch14 said:

They called off the big wedding due to money (and the grooms parents being extremely childish). So it's literally going to be "We don't want to spend the money to host you at our wedding, but please bring the bride/groom gifts anyway".  

Sorry but the grooms parents are not required to pay for a big wedding. They aren't being childish for that. Idk if they're doing other things to act childish, but simply not paying for a wedding does NOT make them childish. 
    I didn't take this to mean the groom's parents weren't paying for the wedding. I thought she meant there were some personality issues going on.
  • dAsch14 said:

The childish behavior had nothing to do with paying for the wedding. That was a jump! The couple is paying for their own wedding.

The parents were acting childish by throwing fits about "not being included" on things like dress shopping and demanding to know the relationship and reason for inviting every single person on the brides guest list.
  • dAsch14 said:
    dAsch14 said:

The childish behavior had nothing to do with paying for the wedding. That was a jump! The couple is paying for their own wedding.

The parents were acting childish by throwing fits about "not being included" on things like dress shopping and demanding to know the relationship and reason for inviting every single person on the brides guest list

-----SITB---

ah, my bad! Reading skills :( 

well sounds like they made the best decision then. Ufff, people! Weddings can bring out the crazy
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • You could throw a party AFTER the wedding and honeymoon to celebrate the couple's marriage if you like.  It would not be a part of the wedding.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards