Chit Chat

Casual dressy?

We got an invite to a destination wedding in Pennsylvania on July 9th and the dress code is "casual dressy". Can anyone help with what to wear? The ceramony is outside and reception is at a pretty Inn. 

Re: Casual dressy?

• Wtf. That is not a thing.  I would do a sundress and wedges as well.  

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    That's an oxymoron!   :(
    Another vote for the sundress, and definitely wedges since you'll be outdoors.
  • Per Emily Post:

Dressy Casual

Women

• Dress
    • Skirt and dressy top
    • Dressy pants outfit
    • Nice jeans and dressy top

Men

• Seasonal sport coat or blazer, and slacks
    • Dress shirt, casual button-down shirt, open-collar or polo shirt
    • Optional tie
  • Funny thing is about these "dress codes" is that the restaurant business uses them like crazy. I appreciate it for Open Table, so I don't go looking like a schlub to a restaurant with polished after-work professionals. 

But weddings, come on. Not that hard to figure out. 

ETA: Sorry OP, didn't mean to insinuate that you should have figured this out. I really meant that you shouldn't have been told a dress code. I'm sure that without a dress code you would have worn what you're comfortable wearing to outdoor weddings at nice Inns and looked perfect. 
    Amen.  We didn't include a dress code and have had countless people text us to say "what is the dress code/what should we wear?"  I'm just over here like "dude TBH I barely even care what the bridesmaids are wearing.  You are an adult and you can figure out what to wear to a wedding."
    Anniversary>
  • SP29SP29 member
    I'd wear a nice summer dress.

• Per Emily Post:

Dressy Casual

Women

• Dress
    • Skirt and dressy top
    • Dressy pants outfit

Men

• Optional tie
    According to Ms. Emily my life is dressy casual. Which is also why I hate dress codes. I agree with the others, dress or skirt set based on the weather and flat sandals or wedges. I can wear heels but not wedges without rolling an ankle so this bride is getting flats if I'm her guest. 
  • edited June 2016
    Double post, sorry. 
  • CMGragain said:
    Emily Post died in 1960.  She never heard of "dressy Casual" and would have disapproved of the term.
    I know, I think it's her daughters or something. I just meant it was on the Emily Post website. 
    kimmiinthemitten said:
    According to Ms. Emily my life is dressy casual. Which is also why I hate dress codes. I agree with the others, dress or skirt set based on the weather and flat sandals or wedges. I can wear heels but not wedges without rolling an ankle so this bride is getting flats if I'm her guest. 
    I just wanted to show her, since her bride insists on a dress code, what several places says it means. This is probably how most people would dress anyway depending on where the wedding is being held, but some people like it written out.
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    These "codes" are just as useless and meaningless as the wedding "themes" of rustic elegance and urban chic.  What I consider a "dressy" top is vastly different than how my daughter would interpret that.  I would (personally) almost never consider jeans appropriate for a wedding.  Even written out, these descriptors are much too vague and open to interpretation.

• CMGragain said:
    Emily Post died in 1960.  She never heard of "dressy Casual" and would have disapproved of the term.
    I know, I think it's her daughters or something. I just meant it was on the Emily Post website. 
    kimmiinthemitten said:
    I just wanted to show her, since her bride insists on a dress code, what several places says it means. This is probably how most people would dress anyway depending on where the wedding is being held, but some people like it written out.
    I no longer recommend Emily Post Institute as a guide on wedding etiquette.  They are a corporation, run by her great-grandchildren and  other relatives.  They have caved in to the wedding industry, and permit almost anything, including Honeymoon Registries.  Some of their wording for invitations is vague and eyebrow raising.  I only use them as an example of "if Emily Post says no, then that means NO!"
    I like Miss Manners, although sometimes she is too conservative.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • edited June 2016
    Per Emily Post:

Dressy Casual

Women

• Dress
    • Skirt and dressy top
    • Dressy pants outfit

Men

• Optional tie
    How can women wear jeans, but men can't? That right there tells me it's a made up BS thing. (no offense DScat)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• How can women wear jeans, but men can't? That right there tells me it's a made up BS thing. (no offense DScat)
    None taken, I didn't make it up. 
  • I love that dress! Very classic.
  • That dress is perfect. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Super cute. Love the polka-dots.
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse
  • Per Emily Post:

Dressy Casual

Women

• Dress
    • Skirt and dressy top
    • Dressy pants outfit

Men

• Optional tie
    So dressy.

Casual and Dressy are on opposite ends of the spectrum, so this is a huge oxymoron ><

I hate these stupid, nonsense dress codes!

Another vote for a sundress and wedges! Or a super cute pantsuit romper!

Also "casual dressy" or "dressy casual" is one of those phrases that makes my brain want to implode. The snarky side of me wants to wear sweatpants and stilettos to any event that dictates a "dressy casual" dress code.
    I'll be your date.  Let's do it!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards