Chit Chat

meh, I need to vent a little

I went to MW yesterday with FI after he got off work so we could pick out suits. Ever since we got engaged, he's been saying he wanted the guys to wear gray suits and so I suggested color palettes with gray in them for us to decide on. He liked the burnt orange, gold, gray and navy blue best. The girls have ordered all of their dresses (navy) and 4 of the 5 dresses have arrived. Fast forward to yesterday, FI takes one look at the suit he's been pining after and says, "I hate it; I really don't want to wear that." So the woman there showed him some different gray suits, and he said no to all of them. He "no longer wants to wear gray because he doesn't think they will look good." I asked him what he wanted to wear and he pointed to a black tuxedo on a mannequin and said "that one." Okay, fine. He tried it on; it looks great and I can see that he likes how he looks in it. I want him to be comfortable in whatever he's wearing, but now I hate my colors. I think that black, gold, navy and orange will look terrible; I toyed with dropping orange from the palette, but I'm still not sold on navy, black and gold. Should I drop the gold for silver? I've already started printing our invitations which have a gold foil on them, but I can easily take the other packs back and exchange them. With the exception of the food, our wedding planning is (was) done, so I'm a little bummed. I realize it's irrational, but I needed to get it off my chest. Plus, I never thought we would go from a more laid-back wedding with gray suits to a fancier affair with black tuxedos (pleated shirts, and bow ties included).

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: meh, I need to vent a little

• I went to MW yesterday with FI after he got off work so we could pick out suits. Ever since we got engaged, he's been saying he wanted the guys to wear gray suits and so I suggested color palettes with gray in them for us to decide on. He liked the burnt orange, gold, gray and navy blue best. The girls have ordered all of their dresses (navy) and 4 of the 5 dresses have arrived. Fast forward to yesterday, FI takes one look at the suit he's been pining after and says, "I hate it; I really don't want to wear that." So the woman there showed him some different gray suits, and he said no to all of them. He "no longer wants to wear gray because he doesn't think they will look good." I asked him what he wanted to wear and he pointed to a black tuxedo on a mannequin and said "that one." Okay, fine. He tried it on; it looks great and I can see that he likes how he looks in it. I want him to be comfortable in whatever he's wearing, but now I hate my colors. I think that black, gold, navy and orange will look terrible; I toyed with dropping orange from the palette, but I'm still not sold on navy, black and gold. Should I drop the gold for silver? I've already started printing our invitations which have a gold foil on them, but I can easily take the other packs back and exchange them. With the exception of the food, our wedding planning is (was) done, so I'm a little bummed. I realize it's irrational, but I needed to get it off my chest. Plus, I never thought we would go from a more laid-back wedding with gray suits to a fancier affair with black tuxedos (pleated shirts, and bow ties included).
    Navy is a great choice for a color (and not just because I did the same thing) but because it fits well with a lot of other colors. It will work with gold or with silver and look really sharp next to tuxedoes. What were you using the orange for? Flowers or accents? I think you can keep that and it will all look great. 

Its a bummer he's changing his mind now, especially after you have everything set. I really do think it will look great just swapping out the suits for tuxes. Had the GM already purchased/rented suits? That would be the only potential problem I could see. 
  • The orange was predominantly in the flowers, but it wasn't a major focal point - some dahlias and roses spread throughout basically. The guys haven't purchased/rented anything yet. It really isn't that tragic, I promise I realize that. I'm just caught up in the feels right now and want an outsider's opinion because if I hear "it's your day" one more time I might lose it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited June 2016
    Sorry about your FH acting like a PITA.

I think a coral, navy, black, and gold palette would look really classy. The coral would still be orangey but not as intense.

Also, @charlotte989875 has the right idea; some accents of sunny yellow and maybe a sage green would make it even more cohesive. In small doses, silver and gold are practically neutrals, so silver would look fine with any palette.
  • I think black sounds better with your color palate than grey! 
  • Sorry for the delay in response, we've been getting dispatched from one call to the next today. Our wedding is October 15, and he has zero desire to budge on the situation - I've tried to get him to do plain shirts instead of pleated and I was only able to win the "argument" for our dads. The bridesmaid dresses are long chiffon and the girls picked whichever style dress they wanted/liked. These are all really great suggestions and I never even thought of changing the color or adding colors to make it cohesive. Thanks all!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Totally agree with everyone that it will look great together (I get your frustration though). Don't even worry about your invitations. They don't have to match your colors that your WP and FI are wearing.
  • drglitterdrglitter member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2016
    I think black, navy and gold sound great together. I second switching the orange accents to blush, or lilac, or something along those lines.

ETF a typo
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I attached a copy of our flowers and dress, I loved the orange and reds with the navy, but adding some yellow and green actually made it look more cohesive. 

Whoa! Stunning! 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards