Wedding Etiquette Forum

124»

Re: .

• I've been on the knot for over a year, ever since I got engaged. I changed my email address after I got married to accommodate my new last name and opened a new account. Just trying to give a little advice, that's all. 
  • I've been on the knot for over a year, ever since I got engaged. I changed my email address after I got married to accommodate my new last name and opened a new account. Just trying to give a little advice, that's all. 
    It's bad advice and comes off as you being the OP trying to prove to us that you're right and everyone else is wrong.
  • Looks like I'm a little late here- but having recently had my wedding I certainly have some advice.  I was in a similar situation and did in fact have a B list.  I did a lot of research on the subject and while it is seen as a taboo by some the reality is, a lot of people also think it is completely fine.

I mean, take a look at the comments here, have a registry, don't have a registry...there are a million different people out there with a million different opinions and I think you should just do what is right for you.  Every couple is different, every wedding is different, and what works for someone else won't necessarily work for you.

"Other people are rude so therefore it is ok if I am also rude" is a really childish, selfish way to approach any situation. It also says a lot about the mentality of the person throwing the wedding and where their priorities truly lie. Furthermore, it isn't remotely in the same category as whether or not you opt for a gift registry.
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2016
    Looks like I'm a little late here- but having recently had my wedding I certainly have some advice.  I was in a similar situation and did in fact have a B list. 
    Knottie1466815565, are you saying that you chose a building over "loved" ones?  I honestly do not know anyone that would find that "completely fine". 
    I did a lot of research on the subject and while it is seen as a taboo by some the reality is, a lot of people also think it is completely fine.  I truly never felt like I was being deliberately rude to my family and friends, but ya know, different people, different opinions, and I respect that. 
    Deliberately rating guests in order of importance, obligation, or affection is about as rude as one can get.  I am always curious as to what scale is used to determine criteria for these ratings.
    Do what you think is right and be tasteful about how you approach it.
    If you have to add a cautionary disclaimer, that alone should send a signal that what is being done is not just rude, it is wrong.  How do you do "rude" tastefully?
     Honestly, we had great luck with it.  Lots of our rsvps came back very quickly and we were able to add without any trouble.  Ultimately we were both really happy we invited more people and the wedding was perfect.
    Congratulations on having great luck with your rudeness.  I am so pleased it made you happy.  I wonder how your B listers would express their attitude knowing they were deferred guests.
    I completely understand the sentiment wanting to get as many of your loved ones there as possible, and if that is truly how you feel then go for it.  I mention this because everyone is adamantly against b lists (which again, I respect) but many brides have done the same,
    Every flipping time I read this excuse, the adage, "If someone told you to jump off a bridge....." reverberates in my head.
    I wouldn't sweat it. Just give yourself some extra space for people who change their minds!  HOWEVER, what struck me about this thread is not the B list but the charity conversation. I also did this for my wedding.  I know 2 other couples who have done this for their wedding.  It never crossed my mind that it was rude, both as a bride and as an attendant.  If anything it contributed a certain warmness to our wedding.  For instance my nephew has cancer a many people donated to that cause.  It meant a lot to my family.  Also a friend of ours is from Nepal and raising money to rebuild towns destroyed by the earthquake and a lot of our friends donated to that cause.  Our friend from Nepal wasn't able to make it to the wedding but we recieved such an incredible letter from him thanking us for our help.  It made for some great conversations at the wedding, and I think it raised a lot of awareness for charities people may not have otherwise known about.  I suppose it may have offended people and we are just unaware, but given the incredibly positive affect it had I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.  I mean, take a look at the comments here, have a registry, don't have a registry...there are a million different people out there with a million different opinions and I think you should just do what is right for you.  Every couple is different, every wedding is different, and what works for someone else won't necessarily work for you.

Polite and thoughtful hosting works for everyone.
  • auriannaaurianna member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2016
    @Knottie03547205
    I want to get something straight:

Are you only sending out one batch of invitations (and not sending out new invitations every time you get a 'no'?)
    Is everyone you sent a STD to getting an invitation?

If the answer to both of those questions is 'yes' then you aren't actually B-listing and I doubt many here would have a problem with it (as long as you have a contingency if any of the people who RSVPd on your website as no, turn around and say yes).

It's ok to only send STD's to VIPs. But as long as all guests get the same invite at the same time, everyone is an invited guest of the same level, so it's ok.

The B-listing I know I'm very against is when a person sends out new invites whenever they get a 'no.' Or people that send out a second round of invites. It means that not all invited guests are equal. Some guests had to RSVP earlier than is polite. Some guests don't get much notice, which also isn't polite. And here some invited guests are ranked differently than others.
    Send all invitations out at the same time and you're golden.

As far as the charity goes...
    It is rude to mention gifts of any kind because a gift should never be expected. Your saying "Your presence is our present" is really like saying "Normally you would have to bring a gift, however we are magnanimous, so you don't have to."
    It comes off as if you think your guests can't not give you a present without your special permission. They don't need your permission. So don't say it, even though you don't mean anything negative by it.
    Mentioning donating to charity is bad for the same reason above, but has some extra faults as well. Again, it makes it seem like you'd otherwise expect a gift. It's also your directly telling your guests exactly how to spend their money. And it has the added element of showboating. Charity is a private thing.
    "But when you do merciful deeds, don't let your left hand know what your right hand does"
    It can come off as your being flashy "look at what great people we are! We want you to give our wedding gifts to charity!"
    Frankly it's really tacky.

By not registering (and by not saying anything about gifts, no gifts, or charity), many people will just give you cash. And then you can donate that cash to charity, in private. No one gets offended. Your charity of choice gets donations. And you don't come off looking like an attention whore.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards