Attire & Accessories Forum

Black MOB dress?

My mom just told me that she is thinking of either a navy or a black dress for our late autumn wedding. My initial thought was "great! Whatever dress you feel good in!" But then some people have made snide comments about her wearing a black dress and now I'm second guessing that option, mostly for her sake. It will be a late afternoon/evening wedding in the fall, so a black dress doesn't seem completely inappropriate.

Do you think people will side eye her for wearing black? I don't care either way but I don't want her to suddenly feel uncomfortable because she thinks people are judging on the day of. 

Re: Black MOB dress?

• My personal opinion is that most people under a certain age have let go of a lot of the old ways of thinking regarding wedding attire. Some brides even have black as their wedding color. Navy would be perfectly acceptable and no one should side-eye it. I wouldn't side-eye her for wearing black, but I'm pretty easy going about that stuff. 
  • She might end up wearing navy, and I agree that no one would think anything of that. It's just if she chooses black....
  • Let her wear whatever she wants. It's not her problem if "those" people are limited in their thinking. Let them clutch their pearls. They can get over it. What are you saying back when you hear these snide comments from them?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Either black or navy for an evening wedding in the fall would be very classy. She can glam it up with some accessories if she's worried about side-eye (a colorful scarf or pashmina, bold jewelry, glitzy shoes, etc.) 

Take her shopping if you two live close!  :)
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    For my DD's wedding, I wore a navy dress and her MIL wore black.  We both looked and felt fantastic because it suited us.  To be honest, I came "this close" to wearing pants as the MOB.  To my knowledge, no one was critical of my choice, but then again, it would not have swayed me one iota.
  • edited June 2016
    MobKaz said:
    For my DD's wedding, I wore a navy dress and her MIL wore black.  We both looked and felt fantastic because it suited us.  To be honest, I came "this close" to wearing pants as the MOB.  To my knowledge, no one was critical of my choice, but then again, it would not have swayed me one iota.
    My mother is wearing black pants with a black, teal, and royal blue top. She'll look great. Not sure what FMIL plans to wear; we may go shopping when she comes to visit in August.
  • If people judge, that's their problem. My bridesmaids wore black dresses of their choosing for my late afternoon wedding, and they looked awesome. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It was traditional that guests not wear white or black to a wedding. This has pretty much been discarded. I see no reason why anyone would have every thought navy was inappropriate. One of the dresses I considered for a MOB dress was black. I ended up wearing it to the rehearsal dinner instead. It would have been totally appropriate for the wedding though.
  • Both my mom and MIL wore black dresses to my wedding. If someone judged them for it, screw them. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards