Getting in Shape

Just Diagnosed Hypothyroid

edited June 2016 in Getting in Shape
So in the past year or so I've packed on a good 8-10 pounds that even though I've been working out well and eating better for three months I haven't been able to lose.  I *need* to lose about 3 pounds if I'd like to sit down at my wedding.  It would also be nice to not have my dress bunch.  Either way, I definitely can't gain anymore.

I've been working really hard and doing all the right things (minus boozing it up on Friday or Saturday) and haven't seen any changes.  Last week I was diagnosed with underactive thyroid (possibly Hashimoto's - will test my blood again at the end of July for antibodies).  

I think this may explain the difficulty I've been having shedding even a couple of pounds (among other things) and am hoping that now that I'm taking medication I will start to see slow results as my levels get more regulated.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  Any tips on what works best?

Re: Just Diagnosed Hypothyroid

• Thyroid disease runs in my family. Just make sure to take your medication as prescribed because it's a bitch to get it regulated if you're willy nilly with it. 
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2016

Focus on things like lifting - and heavy, not light weights! - because you may not be able to move pounds, but you can redistribute and tone.  Tone is what will make the dress fit better, not pounds. 

Know that getting your thyroid leveled is a process!  Some are lucky to get it leveled right away, but that's not the case for most of us.  Don't be surprised when you go in for a blood draw and know exactly which needle and vein works best/fastest better than the phlebotomist!  Dealing with the blood levels vs. the symptom levels is a PITA, but you'll get there.  The bigger thing than the wedding dress is down the road if you choose to have kids it can mess with things BIGTIME so keeping an eye on the level monthly is VITALLY important!  It took me a LONG time to get my levels leveled - only for my body to go wonky and have to start the process over...  Having a GREAT endocrinologist who knows their @$$ from a hole in the ground is the best thing you can do for yourself!

• @MesmrEwe that is great advice for everyone! I used to be a fitness trainer and women would constantly tell me they didn't want to lift weights for fear of getting too bulky. It was a fight to get them to understand that we won't bulk up like a man, we'll just look tighter. 
  • @MesmrEwe that is great advice for everyone! I used to be a fitness trainer and women would constantly tell me they didn't want to lift weights for fear of getting too bulky. It was a fight to get them to understand that we won't bulk up like a man, we'll just look tighter. 
    In the peak of my lifting days - squatting & deadlifting in the 400's, it was IMPOSSIBLE to tell that I was a lifter training 3x/wk on weights and two days of cardio...  I only wish I could have "bulked" because it'd saved me a lot of grief from the medical professionals who didn't believe I was exercising enough.. 
  • Thank you...  I am worried about having kids but hopefully I can keep my levels under control.  I'm finding a little just how crappy I've felt and am hoping that as I get closer I can keep feeling better and better.  

I'll start focusing more on weights which, while I've done some, is definitely the opposite of where my heavier focus has been.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards