Wedding Etiquette Forum

Help...kids at wedding...with a big twist

13»

Re: Help...kids at wedding...with a big twist

• MCmeowMCmeow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2016
    Hi there. This is the "OP" speaking. I've learned a lot since submitting my first post ever to an online forum, at the age of 38 years old. I went to the knot.com site and posted what I thought was a fairly innocent question for those to comment. You see, this is my first wedding (clearly most of you are pros at this) and I wasn't quite sure how to handle an awkward conversation with a member of the wedding party about a child being presumptuously invited to an adult wedding. I've receive more sh*t than I ever imagined receiving from some people on this website. Where's my "FI" in all of this??? Guess what?? He's working!! He has a job! I'm sorry I can not converse with him. Every. Second. Of. The. Day. He's not missing nor is he dead (sorry, just didn't appreciate the joke). We are contributing members of society and don't play on forums all day. Totally my bad to think that posing a quick question on a forum would be constructive. I will NEVER do so again.

***Already writing your comments....why don't you continue reading my whole post first****

I've been told to "be an adult" and "suck it up" and "deal with it" and "don't judge", etc. I've been told I make too many assumptions....WTF?? It's rude for me to bring something up proactively  but my bad if I make an assumption that someone wouldn't be rude but when they are just suck it up?? And then I'm the rude person?? Huh?? Do you people hear yourself talking?

***Still writing your comments....again why don't you continue reading the whole post first****

I am so disgusted by this one brief "online forum" experience. I grew up without social media and online anything and thank goodness. I can't imagine our young generation and what some of them must go through each day. There's signs in our neighborhood as there may be in yours to "Stop Bullying". Have any of you "parents" thought perhaps it should start from home. I'm an adult so I don't really give a sh*t what you say about me or my FI on this stupid post but this whole experience got me thinking about the kids that are cyber-bullied each day on other forums, blogs, social media, etc. Are you, as the great intellectual contributors you set yourself out to be in the knot.com posts, really setting good examples for our future generations???  I worry. I really worry. 

***I'm not done....seriously why don't you continue reading the whole post first****

Light bulb moment: Your kids are not entitled to anything that You. Do. Not. Provide. I get it, every kid nowadays gets a participation trophy so it might be confusing to parents and kids alike. But, they are not entitled to go to someone else's wedding just because they are your pride and joy. I couldn't give two sh*ts about your kid. You want me to be honest about my feelings?? There's my honesty. You get offended that your kid isn't invited and therefore don't want to come? I don't give a f**k. You can't afford to take a couples only long weekend? Not my problem. Get a job. A better job.

Mic Drop.

P.S. GM was totally OK when FI spoke with him about kid not invited. Sounds like he must be reasonable.

Okay, now write your dumb a$$ comments.

Woah that went out of hand fast.
    News flash, most of us and our grandmas have jobs. Both me and FH have full time jobs and we still talk to each other about everything, bad excuse there. Also you were literally on a forum just now. You think everyone here just stares at the screen every minute of everyday going "what should I comment on next?!" No dude, no

And the "this generation and their internet" thing came out of nowhere too. Strangers online don't care about what you end up doing in real life. And it's easy to knock social media, But it has made people more informed than previous generations, it's helping us get organized politically, plus the real world and baby boomers screwed us over much more so don't feel bad for us.

Also who said people will get offended about their kids not being invited? You got plenty of advice coming from both sides that weren't the least bit harsh, you have to seriously chill.

Also that was definitely not a mic drop. I don't see how strangers come on these forums-> get logical advice-> then get pissed off, wtf

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • And look up the actual definition of bullying and grow a thicker skin if you want to Internet. 

• edited July 2016
    Hi there. This is the "OP" speaking. I've learned a lot since submitting my first post ever to an online forum, at the age of 38 years old. I went to the knot.com site and posted what I thought was a fairly innocent question for those to comment. You see, this is my first wedding (clearly most of you are pros at this) and I wasn't quite sure how to handle an awkward conversation with a member of the wedding party about a child being presumptuously invited to an adult wedding. I've receive more sh*t than I ever imagined receiving from some people on this website. Where's my "FI" in all of this??? Guess what?? He's working!! He has a job! I'm sorry I can not converse with him. Every. Second. Of. The. Day. He's not missing nor is he dead (sorry, just didn't appreciate the joke). We are contributing members of society and don't play on forums all day. Totally my bad to think that posing a quick question on a forum would be constructive. I will NEVER do so again.

***Already writing your comments....why don't you continue reading my whole post first****

I've been told to "be an adult" and "suck it up" and "deal with it" and "don't judge", etc. I've been told I make too many assumptions....WTF?? It's rude for me to bring something up proactively  but my bad if I make an assumption that someone wouldn't be rude but when they are just suck it up?? And then I'm the rude person?? Huh?? Do you people hear yourself talking?

***Still writing your comments....again why don't you continue reading the whole post first****

I am so disgusted by this one brief "online forum" experience. I grew up without social media and online anything and thank goodness. I can't imagine our young generation and what some of them must go through each day. There's signs in our neighborhood as there may be in yours to "Stop Bullying". Have any of you "parents" thought perhaps it should start from home. I'm an adult so I don't really give a sh*t what you say about me or my FI on this stupid post but this whole experience got me thinking about the kids that are cyber-bullied each day on other forums, blogs, social media, etc. Are you, as the great intellectual contributors you set yourself out to be in the knot.com posts, really setting good examples for our future generations???  I worry. I really worry. 

***I'm not done....seriously why don't you continue reading the whole post first****

Light bulb moment: Your kids are not entitled to anything that You. Do. Not. Provide. I get it, every kid nowadays gets a participation trophy so it might be confusing to parents and kids alike. But, they are not entitled to go to someone else's wedding just because they are your pride and joy. I couldn't give two sh*ts about your kid. You want me to be honest about my feelings?? There's my honesty. You get offended that your kid isn't invited and therefore don't want to come? I don't give a f**k. You can't afford to take a couples only long weekend? Not my problem. Get a job. A better job.

Mic Drop.

P.S. GM was totally OK when FI spoke with him about kid not invited. Sounds like he must be reasonable.

SITB 

My whole post was eaten! Damn it. 

OP, I work full time and my husband owns his own business. We managed to plan our wedding entirely by ourselves, and we communicated frequently about it! Imagine that. It's how adults get things done (BTW, you are two years older than me). 

Your problem is that you just kept assuming things without actually having a conversation directly with this person. It's not that hard to do, or figure out. 

Also, I don't have kids. I only invited 4 older kids (no younger than 12 to) to our wedding. I personally would have been annoyed if someone assumed their kid was invited. But again,  all you need to do is have a conversation with someone. You made this into a whole drama it didn't need to be. 
  • How close are we to a bingo? 
  • Is the "big twist" that the 7 year old kid sees dead people? 
    It's that the groom is actually dead. 
    Seriously??? "The groom is dead" is your comment?? WTF is wrong with you???

You seriously found that offensive? I mean, really, though....he's a ghost and that explains why you haven't said what he feels about this. 
  • Yes, OP people gave you plenty of sound advice. A lot of brides on here have no children at their wedding - No big deal. However, the groomsman didn't know you weren't having kids - I don't believe your invites had gone out when you talked to him. Most of the people here were just saying communication is key when planning such an event as a wedding. I'm glad GM was understanding about the house/wedding being kids free. Not everyone would have been able to attend from such a distance without bringing their kid along. My daughter and son-in-law had several such declines and no one was offended on either side.
  • And nearly all of us said it was perfectly fine to not want his kid there, you just have to talk to him about it if that is the case. That's pretty mild advice really. 
    So much this. Would it really be so terrible, OP, to just say, "OK, good, so I'm not unreasonable or irrational for not wanting kids there? Cool. And you're right. We shouldn't have made any assumptions and just need to clear this detail up with him." Or some variation of that? Newp. Instead you had to go on a tirade about how awful we are and how wonderful you are because you didn't grow up with social media. (Which many of the rest of us didn't, either, but ok). 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • All you people and your logic. That's not what the OP wanted to hear. Validation people, validation, her circumstances are speshul, don't you understand...SPESHUL! Just because most of us are the same age getting married for the first time, is not what she wants to hear. Logic, Pfft!
  • I think we can safely assume OP has sand in her vagina.
    Just like Kyle? 
  • I think we can safely assume OP has sand in her vagina.
    Just like Kyle? 
    Definitely not!

• Hi there. This is the "OP" speaking. I've learned a lot since submitting my first post ever to an online forum, at the age of 38 years old. I went to the knot.com site and posted what I thought was a fairly innocent question for those to comment. You see, this is my first wedding (clearly most of you are pros at this) and I wasn't quite sure how to handle an awkward conversation with a member of the wedding party about a child being presumptuously invited to an adult wedding. I've receive more sh*t than I ever imagined receiving from some people on this website. Where's my "FI" in all of this??? Guess what?? He's working!! He has a job! I'm sorry I can not converse with him. Every. Second. Of. The. Day. He's not missing nor is he dead (sorry, just didn't appreciate the joke). We are contributing members of society and don't play on forums all day. Totally my bad to think that posing a quick question on a forum would be constructive. I will NEVER do so again.

Mic Drop.

The Butthurt is strong with this one.

What was said that was oh so terrible that you felt you needed to write out this petulant screed?

You and your FI screwed up, several times, in communicating with each other and this GM.  We gave you ideas on how to approach solving this issue.

So why all the shock and drama?
    Just snorted at the bolded. Excellent way to describe it.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • The specific "big twist" isn't even all that special of a circumstance. There was a thread here in recent memory about a woman bringing her infant to a beach house rented by the bride for a Bachelotette weekend...

People have adults-only weddings all the time. People have adults-only parties and vacations all the time. People miscommunicate or misunderstand the number of people invited to events all the time. It's a quick fix to just say, "Oh actually we're not able to accommodate children. Here's a list of nearby hotels if you'd like to make this a family vacation!"

I get being surprised that a child you didn't know existed was presumed to have been invited, but your FI should've communicated more clearly to both the GM and you from the start. I get a bit of panic or dread at having what could potentially be an awkward conversation, but that's just part of event planning/life. I get feeling like the two pages of responses was a bit of a dog-pile, but it's a big forum and no one bullied you.

Glad everything worked out with the GM and you can go back to your social-media-free life now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards