Wedding Etiquette Forum

Kids at Vegas wedding

Not sure if this should be in Etiquette but I wasn't sure where else to put it....?

So we are going to Vegas for our wedding in October and I'm just not sure how to handle a situation. We invited just adults, with the exception of a family that has two kids (11 & 13) that are our neighbours, good friends and we generally spend a lot of time as a group. These people are also coming with us on our "Familymoon" to Disneyland two days after our wedding and making it a group trip. Just for the record, my kids are 13 & 17.

I also have a very close group of friends that are invited, however I did not extend invites to their kids for the simple fact that they go to Vegas all of the time and have never once take their kids. Not one of them. None of them even asked if their kids could come and the majority have already booked flights, hotels, etc. The thought to invite their kids never even crossed my mind.

So everything was fine until one of my friends (she is one that has not booked anything) came over to my house a few weeks ago. Now, this friend is my closest of all my friends. She is the Godmother to my daughter and has always been amazing. I love her dearly. Anyways, we were discussing the wedding plans and what we are doing while in Vegas. The conversation turned to the "Familymoon" and our plans at Disney. I can't remember exactly how it came up but I mentioned how my other friends family (they didn't know each other at this point but have since met) are joining us. She instantly got a look on her face, which I know all too well. She was put off by it. "Oh...... you're having kids at the wedding?". I said "well, yes, just the two of hers, plus mine". I also explained how they were driving down (we live in Alberta, Canada), bringing all of our wedding supplies, etc. Then the subject sort of dropped. Looking back on it, I'm not sure if she was put off by the fact there would be kids there or by the fact that I didn't invite her children as well (they are 4 & 7). I'm now thinking it was the latter.

Now fast forward to this past week. Her husband is an amateur photographer and was supposed to be doing our pictures. This had been planned since we announced our wedding date (October 2015). Funny thing is, we wanted someone local but honestly couldn't not ask him to do our photos. I know they would have been highly insulted had we not at least asked him. So, we've planned on using him since last October and have asked several times how much he would charge us (we would never expect him to do it for free). I know he has set rates for friends and family but my friend said "he wouldn't charge you as much as he does for others". Okay, great! How much?

So, I've asked him at least once a month since February. He kept putting us off stating that he's been too busy to sit down and figure it out but he's definitely doing the photos. Now, I have said probably a dozen times, if he doesn't want to do it and would rather just come to Vegas and enjoy his time, rather than working, then that's totally okay! We just needed to know so we could find another photographer. Nope, nope, he's going to do them. Finally, I mentioned it to my friend when she was over (the same day as the whole kids discussion) and she said she still wasn't sure what he would charge but would get him to call me. Well, he never did. Finally last weekend I saw her online and said please, we really need to know. It's less than 4 months until the wedding and we need to book someone if he can't do it. It's our last budget item that is missing and we really need to get it figured out. She said he's been meaning to call me but was busy. Then 1 minute later, the phone rings and it's him. "Thank you so much for asking.....it's an honour.....it would be great to take pictures in Vegas.....I've thought long and hard about it and I just don't feel I could do the pictures that you guys want....." Ummmm, okay? So, you don't want to do our pictures? "No". (We found and have since paid for a Vegas photographer, so not a huge deal I guess..)

Now, am I crazy to think one has something to do with the other? Are they upset that their kids weren't invited and in turn decide to "punish us" by not doing our photos? I know if I asked her she would say no, that's not the reason at all but I just have a feeling it is. I mean I love her kids and I honestly wouldn't care if she brought them but I never even thought they would want to considering they go to Vegas at least once a year and NEVER take the kids. Her kids are little and very, very busy. They love getting away to Vegas without them (their words, not mine lol). Before anyone mentions that it's because they weren't invited to Disneyland, she has been adamant for years that she will not take her kids to Disney until her youngest is at least 7 -- he's 4.

They haven't booked anything, while basically everyone else has. Not that I care if they book in advance. Heck, if they want to book the day before, then that's up to them but she is a BIG planner and does everything in advance. So that's another thing I'm wondering about. She mentioned that her sister in law is planning on coming out to watch the kids while they are in Vegas but now I'm wondering if she upset that her kids weren't invited and will maybe not come now? Or perhaps she will just come alone and the hubby, that is now not doing our photos, will stay home. I mean, that's up to them I guess and none of my business but should I talk to her about the whole kid thing or just leave it and let them make up their own mind? I'm just really not sure what to do about it. Yes, I probably shouldn't have invited some kids and not others but it was done simply because none of my friends ever take their kids to Vegas and the family that is coming is making a family vacation out of it.

Sorry for the long novel. I didn't intend for it to be this long lol

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Kids at Vegas wedding

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2016
    We do tend to advise that couples not hire friends to work at their weddings, regardless of how hurt or insulted the friends may be about not being asked, so that situations like yours can be forestalled. You did have a choice about whether or not to ask him, and not asking him was a valid option.

We also advise getting copies of contracts from all your vendors that clearly indicate rates and other terms and obligations between the parties involved.

You may be right that her husband's not wanting to work your wedding without being able to bring his kids is intended to punish you for not inviting the kids, but why did you mention to his wife that the other kids are invited? It really wasn't her business and as things have turned out, mentioning it was counterproductive. 

Given how they reacted, I think you'll be best off assuming none of them are coming and finding another photographer.  I think you'll also do well to scratch them off your friend list.
  • Jen4948 said:
    I think that there's been a communication problem here all along. You made a lot if assumptions rather than being transparent about whether or not their kids were invited or whether or not you wanted to hire your friend's husband as a photographer.

We do tend to advise that couples not hire friends to work at their weddings, regardless of how hurt or insulted the friends may be about not being asked, so that situations like yours can be forestalled. You did have a choice about whether or not to ask him, and not asking him was a valid option.

We also advise getting copies of contracts from all your vendors that clearly indicate rates and other terms and obligations between the parties involved.

You may be right that her husband's not wanting to work your wedding without being able to bring his kids is intended to punish you for not inviting the kids, but why did you mention to his wife that the other kids are invited? It really wasn't her business and as things have turned out, mentioning it was counterproductive. 

You're right, we should have not discussed hiring him at all because none of this would have been an issue. In the end, the whole photography issue worked out in our favour when it comes to the actual photographs. I love the photographer we booked because he's familiar with Vegas, so I'm totally fine with my friends hubby not doing it. I just wish he would have told us sooner to lessen the panic of finding a photographer less than 4 months before the wedding but in the end, it all worked out. 

I'm not sure what you mean by making assumptions about not wanting to hire him though? We had thought we did hire him and was just waiting for a price. I should state, we had originally planned our wedding for March 2016. He was going to do our photos then as well. We had to postpone the date due to my daughter getting leukemia February 2015. This couple has been very aware of our wedding the entire time. Once my daughter was done treatment in September and doing well, we decided in October 2015 that the date would be October 2016. My friend was one of the first people we told and photography was discussed at that time. Just could never get the price out of him. He verbally confirmed several times that he was doing them but that's all we got. Yes, we should have handled it like we did with all of our other vendors and got a contract but I honestly didn't even think about it. Totally my error.

I didn't come right out and tell her two other kids were coming, just to tell her they were coming. It was a casual conversation and it came up because she was asking questions. I didn't think it would be an issue at all. Now I'm thinking I was totally wrong. Do I call her and tell her she can bring the kids or do I just leave it and wait to see what she does when she RSVP's?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So you told this woman, who is apparently super close to you, that oh actually some kids are invited, but not hers, and this other family, and not hers, is invited to go to Disney with you after your wedding? Yeah it's safe to say she might be annoyed cause that was all kinds of rude. Her husband probably wanted to take photos for close friends, not friends who view his family as second tier. 

You our made a ton of assumptions about what these people would want to do with their kids. Which is always a bad idea. It's fine to not invite kids, but do it because you don't want them there, not because you assume you know what the parents want. 
  • So you told this woman, who is apparently super close to you, that oh actually some kids are invited, but not hers, and this other family, and not hers, is invited to go to Disney with you after your wedding? Yeah it's safe to say she might be annoyed cause that was all kinds of rude. Her husband probably wanted to take photos for close friends, not friends who view his family as second tier. 

You our made a ton of assumptions about what these people would want to do with their kids. Which is always a bad idea. It's fine to not invite kids, but do it because you don't want them there, not because you assume you know what the parents want. 

Well, we didn't invite the other family to come to Disney with us either. We told them where we were going and they said "that sounds like fun! We may crash it!" and they are. Not a big deal, I don't care either way. It's Disney and we would never tell anyone no, you can't come. So no, we never flat out invited anyone to Disney, nor did we purposely exclude anyone either. If my friend had said "hey, we should come too!" I wouldn't have said no. I would have said "sure!", just like I did with the other family that is coming.

But yes, we made the assumption that they wouldn't want to bring their kids to the actual wedding because they never take their kids to Vegas. It was a bad excuse not to invite them but it was an honest error and not done to purposely hurt them. As stated, they go to Vegas at least once a year and never take their kids, so I didn't think anything of it. Obviously, I should never have assumed and I get that. What I'm asking is, what do I do now? -- Do I call her and tell her she can bring the kids or do I just leave it and wait to see what she does when she RSVP's?  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jacques27 said:
    1.  Yes, you were within your rights to not invite her kids.
    2.  Yes, it's presumptuous of her to potentially question the invite list.

That said, it sounds like your not inviting her kids was NOT because you're having an adults only event or due to budget.  It sounds like you decided to make the decision for them based on what you observed of their past behavior.  So I could get why that would maybe irk them.  It comes off as deliberately excluding their children, even if that wasn't the intent and even if you're perfectly within your rights to invite some children and not others (as long as you aren't splitting up a family).  Maybe this is the one time they would have liked to make it a family vacation or maybe it's an inconvenient time for someone else to watch them.  Or maybe the end result would have been the same and they would have made the decision to leave them at home - but then it would have been their decision rather than seeming like you don't like their kids enough to invite them to your wedding.  Sometimes people just like to be invited to the party.

You're perfectly within your rights to just stand firm and wait it out to see how they interact in the upcoming months.  I personally would probably extend an olive branch if I were in the situation, assuming it really is no bother to have the two kids.  If invitations have already gone out, you can just say something like "You know, I realized that I just assumed that you and *husband* would want to come without the kids and have a break, but I didn't mean to imply that the kids aren't welcome.  Of course little Jimmy and Janie are welcome."  Or if invitations haven't gone out yet, you can just simply make sure it's addressed with the kids names as well.

Either way, I don't think I would make it a huge issue and I certainly wouldn't mention it in connection to the husband refusing to do the photography since you're only speculating that it's the reason and the two things may not be connected at all.

And consider it a bullet dodged since working with friends is generally a bad idea.

Yeah, I think you are right and that's probably the best way to handle it. Invitations have gone out (we are all travelling, so they went out last month), so I can't correct it that way but a phone call about it might be in order. I think I'll just say of course the kids can come to the wedding and apologize for assuming they wouldn't want to bring them. If I do call about that, then I'm probably going to have to mention the whole Disney thing as well, correct? Or do I just mention the wedding and if she asks about Disney, deal with it at that point? If they want to come, they can. Her kids are a lot younger than mine and we have been there tons of times, so our touring plans will be quite different but I don't mind if they come.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would see what she does when she RSVPs. But in the meantime, you and your FI need to make a decision about whether or not her kids are invited and own it.

If she RSVPs for her kids, but you've decided not to invite them, then you need to tell her that unfortunately, her invitation was for her and her husband only. Let it go at that and don't engage her in any discussions about whether or not you can accommodate her kids, because she already knows that you're inviting other kids.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    In terms of etiquette, it is perfectly acceptable to invite some kids but not others (as long as you don't split up a family). However, in real life, emotions don't always follow etiquette. They may well be upset about their kids not being invited. It's not on you to feel bad about it; makes sense to me that you would possible invite some children whom your family has a relationship with because they are your own children's age- doesn't mean you have to invite everyone's children. But inviting in circles does smooth the waters (i.e. only children of immediate family, vs. children of friends).

If you want their children to be invited and only addressed the invitation to your friend and her husband, I would call her up and make the correction. I like jacque27's wording- essentially that you made an assumption and apologize if they would prefer to bring their kids with them- of course they are welcome.

I see Disneyland as a separate event from your wedding. You don't have to invite every single guest and their family to Disneyland with you just because your friends' family is leaving with you (though I think it weird your other friends invited themselves along, unless you were talking so much about it they assumed it was open).

• AddieCake said:
    You sent invitations for an October wedding last month? 

Yes and I know that is completely against etiquette. Our dollar sucks right now and not all of the guests that are coming are people we talk to regularly, so we sent them out in June to ensure people had enough notice for exact dates, location (to book hotels close to us, if they wanted to), fly in with us (if they wanted to, which some are), watch the Canadian dollar and book when they could, etc.

SP29 said:
    In terms of etiquette, it is perfectly acceptable to invite some kids but not others (as long as you don't split up a family). However, in real life, emotions don't always follow etiquette. They may well be upset about their kids not being invited. It's not on you to feel bad about it; makes sense to me that you would possible invite some children whom your family has a relationship with because they are your own children's age- doesn't mean you have to invite everyone's children. But inviting in circles does smooth the waters (i.e. only children of immediate family, vs. children of friends).

If you want their children to be invited and only addressed the invitation to your friend and her husband, I would call her up and make the correction. I like jacque27's wording- essentially that you made an assumption and apologize if they would prefer to bring their kids with them- of course they are welcome.

I see Disneyland as a separate event from your wedding. You don't have to invite every single guest and their family to Disneyland with you just because your friends' family is leaving with you (though I think it weird your other friends invited themselves along, unless you were talking so much about it they assumed it was open).

I honestly thought it was all kids or nothing. This is my second wedding, my first being 18 years ago and that's what I was told back then. I was young and just didn't know, so I ran with that. Yes, we did have kids to that. I'll need to let my FSIL know as they are planning a wedding for next year and she mentioned the kid issue as well. Thanks!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AddieCake said:
    I don't think she ever said they had sent invites. She and friend were talking about who was invited during a casual conversation.
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2016
    AddieCake said:
    I don't think she ever said they had sent invites. She and friend were talking about who was invited during a casual conversation.
    Yes, she said they went out last month, and has since come back and explained why. Posted at the same time as you, though, so that's probably why you missed it.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • flantasticflantastic member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2016
    I think you need to talk about your wedding and "familymoon" plans less. Would create fewer issues. Say something short "oh, going to Disney" and then change the subject.

PPs have good advice for your friend.
  • I would not invite them to your honeymoon and I would explain to her that you didn't invite the other family either, but that they decided to tag along.
  • OP, you seem nice enough, so I don't mean this unkindly.  But I think you need to nut up.

Didn't really want to hire the husband, he kept pushing it, so you went along.  And it kind of blew up in your face.  (Although it sounds like it turned out well, so that's fortunate.)

Didn't really invite the other family, they announced they were joining you, you just went with it.  Kind of blew up in your face with the other friend.

It sounds like your instincts are pretty good, but keep getting trampled by other people's decisions.  About your life.  No is not a four letter word.
  • AddieCake said:
    Anyone else think it's weird to invite yourself to crash someone else's vacation? Or to just accept this crashing and go ahead and make plans with the crashers? 
    Like I said in my first post, we do a lot with this family. Vacations together are not unusual, so I know they wouldn't have even thought they were imposing and neither did I. My son went on their family vacation with them across country last summer and the rest of us would have as well, had my daughter not been in treatment. It's just who we are as friends and the relationship we all have. The original conversation was very casual about making a family vacation out of it after the wedding. She had thrown around some ideas for her family and I said we were going to Disney. She liked our family vacation idea better than hers. You know the rest of the story.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards