Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Reception Exit Help

I am having a day of video play at the end of the reception to show all of our guests a recap of the wedding day. I'm having a hard time figuring out what happens after the video is done. Do we just walk out? Do sparklers? Any one have some fun and/or creative ideas that we could do after the recap video plays and we leave?

Re: Reception Exit Help

• I'm going to second that this is kind of an odd idea.  Everyone was there.  They know what happened.  Watching a video of it is just kind of weird. Plus the logistics of it seem too complicated.  

• Agree with PPs. No one will probably be that interested in watching a video of what they just witnessed.
  • I don't get how this will work. Video editing is very time consuming, so have a video recap from that day doesn't seem very realistic or possible.
  • I think it's pretty typical to have some unedited photos of the ceremony scrolling on a screen at the reception - so people can stop by (or not).

But I would definitely not make people watch a video of the day. Just..why? They were there right?

If you decide to do this anyway, you could just make a final mic announcement at the end and say "It means the world that you'd be here celebrating with us on this special day. Thank y'all so much for coming, be safe driving home and don't forget to grab a favor on your way out" (or something).

DON'T DO SPARKLERS.   wedding fabrics + alcohol + people waving sparkling fire = accidents. Plus every. single. wedding. I've been do that does sparklers, it's not an actual send off. They go up and down the sparkler tunnel like 6 times *because pictures!!!* Super anti climactic and weird.

*********************************************************************************

• I don't see any reason for a "recap" video - or actually, any videos. Showing a video to your guests during the reception would make them feel like a captive audience. And given that they just saw what would be on the video, they're going to tune out. When you switch the lights back on, there may not be any need for an "exit" because everyone will be gone!

Also, I think that when it's time to leave, everyone just wants to leave regardless of whether there is an "exit" by the couple. You can make an announcement as @southernbelle0915 suggests, or just start moving around saying good-bye to your guests, but if you're staying until the very end, I wouldn't do a formal "exit."
  • I don't get how this will work. Video editing is very time consuming, so have a video recap from that day doesn't seem very realistic or possible.
    Some videogs offer sane day edits, they usually charge more or try to convince couples that they should hire them bc of this feature.

It's dumb. I can say that bc I'm a videog. I've been editing a 60 second psa all day, it still won't be ready today. Editing takes time. No one wants to watch a hastily, haphazard sane day edit of something they saw in person hours ago. Your wedding is not meant to be aired on sportscenter later in the day, no buzzer beating action happened.
    Ah that must be it. We aren't that interested in having a videographer, so that hasn't been something we are looking into.

I should have put that good editing takes time. I've done basic - read VERY basic - video editing and my brother is a film student who has been editing since middle school, so I get the time it takes to do a good job.
  • What time do you plan to leave your reception? If your reception is ending early (before 9PM) then you'll probably have a fair amount of guests still there and can do a grand exit. Our reception went until 11PM and there were probably only 20 people left out of the 120 that were there at the start. Doing a grand exit wouldn't have made sense.
  • We stayed till the end of our reception because we had to break everything down, so there was no "grand exit."  Our DJ announced the last call for the bar and then announced the last song, so everyone knew it was time to go.
  • This should be such an afterthought to the rest of the evening.. We were the last ones there with the wedding party, everyone else was drunk and/or gone so we just finished up, said goodnight to the people still there and walked to our room.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards