Wedding Woes

When the unimaginable happens 93 days out...

FeelTheRainFeelTheRain member
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment 5 Love Its
edited July 2016 in Wedding Woes
When I was 19 years old, I got married to a guy I've sense dubbed "Captain America." He was in the Army and good old down home country boy that could do no wrong in anyone's eyes. Unfortunately, after the wedding, he turned our happy little lives turned into a blur of abuse and alcoholism. Needless to say, after a year or so of that nonsense I high-tailed it back to my parents. Fast forward 10 years. I've grown into an actual adult and met the love of my life and am so excited for our future together. He is Catholic and I wasn't. He started taking me to church with him and I literally felt like I was home. I loved it and decided right away that I wanted to join the church. It's a huge undertaking though. I found out that I live in a Diocese that is incredibly strict and I was not allowed to join any churches RCIA program (the classes you have to take as a non-catholic to become a catholic) until my previous marriage had been annulled. I literally called every single church in my city and no one would accept me without the annulment. Around here, that's a solid 18-24 month process. I finally found 1 church with a new priest who came from another state who allowed me to start RCIA classes while in the middle of the annulment process. He broke all of the rules for me and I couldn't have been more grateful. This process has dragged out so long that I'm 93 days out from my wedding and the annulment still isn't complete. (I started it in November 2014). However, this priest has been with us, opening doors that have been slammed over and over in our faces, encouraging us, bending some of the stricter rules, allowing us to continue the marriage counseling process in the midst of all of the negativity that I'm getting with all of the higher ups in the church. He is the only reason that my fiance and I are at the point we are at now. He's the voice of reason and calming and encouragement that we both need with the stress of waiting on all of the final paperwork to be processed. Our marriage would not be happening this year without him. I love that we were actually going to be married by someone who knew us both on such a personal level. He just called me yesterday and told me that he found out last weekend about a family function he can't miss back home (halfway across the country) that's the same weekend as our wedding and he has to back out. He made arrangements for someone else (a total stranger to us both) to marry us. I am heartbroken! Out of everything that could possibly go wrong, this is the last thing I could have imagined having to worry about!! There's nothing that can be done. I just have to wrap my head around the fact that he's not going to be there to finish this journey with us. Has anybody else had something this off the wall happen to them? Something that you never even considered to be something that could possibly go wrong and just blows your mind? Thank goodness for Bob Marley. I have "don't worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright" circling in my head!

Re: When the unimaginable happens 93 days out...

• When I was 19 years old, I got married to a guy I've sense dubbed "Captain America." He was in the Army and good old down home country boy that could do no wrong in anyone's eyes. Unfortunately, after the wedding, he turned our happy little lives turned into a blur of abuse and alcoholism. Needless to say, after a year or so of that nonsense I high-tailed it back to my parents. Fast forward 10 years. I've grown into an actual adult and met the love of my life and am so excited for our future together. He is Catholic and I wasn't. He started taking me to church with him and I literally felt like I was home. I loved it and decided right away that I wanted to join the church. It's a huge undertaking though. I found out that I live in a Diocese that is incredibly strict and I was not allowed to join any churches RCIA program (the classes you have to take as a non-catholic to become a catholic) until my previous marriage had been annulled. I literally called every single church in my city and no one would accept me without the annulment. Around here, that's a solid 18-24 month process. I finally found 1 church with a new priest who came from another state who allowed me to start RCIA classes while in the middle of the annulment process. He broke all of the rules for me and I couldn't have been more grateful. This process has dragged out so long that I'm 93 days out from my wedding and the annulment still isn't complete. (I started it in November 2014). However, this priest has been with us, opening doors that have been slammed over and over in our faces, encouraging us, bending some of the stricter rules, allowing us to continue the marriage counseling process in the midst of all of the negativity that I'm getting with all of the higher ups in the church. He is the only reason that my fiance and I are at the point we are at now. He's the voice of reason and calming and encouragement that we both need with the stress of waiting on all of the final paperwork to be processed. Our marriage would not be happening this year without him. I love that we were actually going to be married by someone who knew us both on such a personal level. He just called me yesterday and told me that he found out last weekend about a family function he can't miss back home (halfway across the country) that's the same weekend as our wedding and he has to back out. He made arrangements for someone else (a total stranger to us both) to marry us. I am heartbroken! Out of everything that could possibly go wrong, this is the last thing I could have imagined having to worry about!! There's nothing that can be done. I just have to wrap my head around the fact that he's not going to be there to finish this journey with us. Has anybody else had something this off the wall happen to them? Something that you never even considered to be something that could possibly go wrong and just blows your mind? Thank goodness for Bob Marley. I have "don't worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright" circling in my head!
    That's quite a journey, and you're right, it sounds like you're lucky to have found the pastor you did.  You're allowed to be bummed for a day or two, but remember, regardless of who pronounces you husband and wife, you'll be married and that's the end goal.

I'd trust that Pastor who has done so much to see you two married would take your trust seriously and that the person he asked to replace him is likely someone up to his standards and someone he trusts to finish the journey with you.
  • When I was 19 years old, I got married to a guy I've sense dubbed "Captain America." He was in the Army and good old down home country boy that could do no wrong in anyone's eyes. Unfortunately, after the wedding, he turned our happy little lives turned into a blur of abuse and alcoholism. Needless to say, after a year or so of that nonsense I high-tailed it back to my parents. Fast forward 10 years. I've grown into an actual adult and met the love of my life and am so excited for our future together. He is Catholic and I wasn't. He started taking me to church with him and I literally felt like I was home. I loved it and decided right away that I wanted to join the church. It's a huge undertaking though. I found out that I live in a Diocese that is incredibly strict and I was not allowed to join any churches RCIA program (the classes you have to take as a non-catholic to become a catholic) until my previous marriage had been annulled. I literally called every single church in my city and no one would accept me without the annulment. Around here, that's a solid 18-24 month process. I finally found 1 church with a new priest who came from another state who allowed me to start RCIA classes while in the middle of the annulment process. He broke all of the rules for me and I couldn't have been more grateful. This process has dragged out so long that I'm 93 days out from my wedding and the annulment still isn't complete. (I started it in November 2014). However, this priest has been with us, opening doors that have been slammed over and over in our faces, encouraging us, bending some of the stricter rules, allowing us to continue the marriage counseling process in the midst of all of the negativity that I'm getting with all of the higher ups in the church. He is the only reason that my fiance and I are at the point we are at now. He's the voice of reason and calming and encouragement that we both need with the stress of waiting on all of the final paperwork to be processed. Our marriage would not be happening this year without him. I love that we were actually going to be married by someone who knew us both on such a personal level. He just called me yesterday and told me that he found out last weekend about a family function he can't miss back home (halfway across the country) that's the same weekend as our wedding and he has to back out. He made arrangements for someone else (a total stranger to us both) to marry us. I am heartbroken! Out of everything that could possibly go wrong, this is the last thing I could have imagined having to worry about!! There's nothing that can be done. I just have to wrap my head around the fact that he's not going to be there to finish this journey with us. Has anybody else had something this off the wall happen to them? Something that you never even considered to be something that could possibly go wrong and just blows your mind? Thank goodness for Bob Marley. I have "don't worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright" circling in my head!
    I'm sorry this is happening to you, I can understand you must be really disappointed. But it's not the end of the world (or your wedding). You've found a church, priest, and a community that you can belong to. 

While it's too bad he won't be at your wedding, he will be there for guidance and counsel in your marriage. 

Do you have any classes left? Or can you scheduled a time to meet with both priests, maybe that way the one you've been working on can help you get to know the one who will be at your wedding and can share some insights with him? Or at least make you feel more comfortable with him performing your ceremony?
  • I'd trust that Pastor who has done so much to see you two married would take your trust seriously and that the person he asked to replace him is likely someone up to his standards and someone he trusts to finish the journey with you.
    That's a really good point. I've been trying to make myself not freak out about this, I've been really good about staying calm through everything! I'm sad but it'll be fine. He's not going to stick us with someone awful! I know he feels really bad. It's just one of those things that sometimes happen I guess. I'd just never heard of a pastor backing out on a wedding! They're like school teachers....you don't think of them having lives of their own! :smile:charlotte989875 said:

Do you have any classes left? Or can you scheduled a time to meet with both priests, maybe that way the one you've been working on can help you get to know the one who will be at your wedding and can share some insights with him? Or at least make you feel more comfortable with him performing your ceremony?
    This is an awesome idea. We're done with classes but are supposed to meet with him to finalize the order of the ceremony. I'll see if the new priest can come to that meeting. 

• Can you try for a co-validation after a civil ceremony? Is there anything you can do to appeal to the Bishop? Can your priest speak on your behalf? @flantastic could you offer any suggestions? 

I hope all works itself out in the end. The Catholic church unfortunately has little pockets of conservatism all over the place. It sounds as though the priest you found is being a good advocate, use him to your advantage. 
    That's quite a journey, and you're right, it sounds like you're lucky to have found the pastor you did.  You're allowed to be bummed for a day or two, but remember, regardless of who pronounces you husband and wife, you'll be married and that's the end goal.

I'd trust that Pastor who has done so much to see you two married would take your trust seriously and that the person he asked to replace him is likely someone up to his standards and someone he trusts to finish the journey with you.
    So much this. I'm sorry this happened to you at the end like this, but I'm really happy for you that you found someone to help you through this process (and that you found love again). I have a friend who went through an annullment a few years back, and I was in awe at the intricate and lengthy process. Definitely not like what you see on TV! Best of luck to you!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Something about your OP isn't making sense, OP.  My mom is actually in charge of the RCIA program at her church (along with their faith formation programs for kids), and I cannot fathom why you wouldn't be allowed to take RCIA classes prior to your annulment.  (She actually started the process to become a Pastoral Assistant for annulment petitions, though she recently had to put that on hold.  So by association, I know a lot more than I otherwise would about both RCIA and annulments.) 

I can see why you wouldn't be able to marry in the Catholic church until the annulment is finalized.  But it doesn't make sense that you couldn't even attend RCIA classes--or even officially convert.  I mean, one half of a married couple can convert even if the other doesn't, so I don't see why the annulment would be the dealbreaker.  (My mom has actually had people in her classes who join the church even when their spouse doesn't.  It's not a package deal.  Divorced

Am I missing something?
  • Gah, this stupid lack of edit!  Anyway, at the end of the penultimate paragraph, I was trying to add that divorced people can also join, so the lack of annulment itself can't be the issue. 
  • FeelTheRainFeelTheRain member
    edited July 2016
    Heffalump said:
    Gah, this stupid lack of edit!  Anyway, at the end of the penultimate paragraph, I was trying to add that divorced people can also join, so the lack of annulment itself can't be the issue. 
    Oh lord almighty, you are absolutely preaching to the choir here. That is exactly that thought that FI and I had. He was a member of a church in our city so I obviously started there hoping to get into their RCIA program. Our first conversation went something like this:
    RCIA Leader: Have you ever been married?
    Me: Oh...um...well, yes. I've been divorced for over 10 years. 
    RCIA: Have you received an annulment yet?
    Me: No. Why? I'm not getting married. I'm just trying to join the church.
    RCIA: Sorry. No can do. Come back in 18 months when you have an annulment. *click*
    Over and over and over throughout every single church in my city. And there are a lot of them. No one would accept me without the annulment. My FI even went to the Archdeacon himself and he said that our Diocese does not allow anyone who has been previously married to join the Catholic church without an annulment. The goal of all of humanity is to be Christians who grow up to get married and have kids. So they refuse to allow anyone to join the church who isn't able to get married within the church. Unbelievable. And wrong. I agree it makes no sense. I live in a very nice city...just a very very very strict diocese. 
    **Edit - when I started the RCIA/Annulment process I was not engaged. I obviously am NOW, but wasn't when I was making these initial calls. 
  • I was thinking the same thing as @Heffalump. Divorced Catholics can still take communion as long as they haven't remarried (at least that is what a Catholic friend of mine told me when she went through all that stuff).
  • *Barbie* said:
    Anyone else feel that this was overlay dramatic or is my tolerance level just unusually low today?
    From the title of your post I was expecting you to tell us that someone died or the DEA busted your FI for his secret life as a drug kingpin or something. 

It sucks that you lost your priest/officiant for the day of your wedding, but ultimately this isn't going to prevent you from getting married or eventually becoming Catholic. 

No I thought the same thing. "Unimaginable" really sounds a lot worse than a lengthy annulment process and priest with other obligations. I hate to be the "other people have it worse" guy, but JFC.

OP, you asked if anyone else had something "unimaginable" happen. Yes. A poster here's fiancé was in a terrible accident where he lost limbs and is lucky to be alive. My mom was given a death sentence. Other posters lost their venues, lost money that was promised to them, etc.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Sorry to disappoint you @*Barbie*. I typed out my original post thinking that maybe if other people had things go wrong that was completely out of their imagination maybe this would be a good place for those stories. I said "Out of everything that could possibly go wrong, this is the last thing I could have imagined having to worry about." I understand that if you're not in my exact situation after the roller coaster the last 2 years has brought then I'm sure my post was a bit of a let down. I had a dream that my FI married someone else to help them get their green card and then she refused to divorce him in time for our wedding and she was snap chatting their honeymoon to me. That would be a lot higher on the drama scale and actually makes me happy that my only wedding woe right now is our priest. 
  • I don't know where you live OP, but I feel like with the current Archbishop in Philly, he would insist on the same type of thing throughout his diocese.  I'm glad I am not in his diocese, he does not seem to fully accept the Christian part of Catholicism at times.  He is very conservative.

Anyway, I can tell you that we went through pretty much the exact same thing as you are with your priest.  I was a lapsed Catholic and have since come back to the Church.  I would have attended my H's parish, but it closed.  So together we found our own.  The Church we chose had my old religion teacher in high school as its Pastor.  But we were preparing to be married by a priest from my H's closed parish as he was very active there and friendly with the priest until it closed.  But the ceremony was going to be in our current Church.

So we go through all of our pre-cana, meetings with him and our last meeting with him, he tells us to call back in January to schedule our last meeting prior to our ceremony in March.  So January rolls around and H calls multiple times.  Always leaving a message, but not getting a call back.  I finally called the main rectory number and ask for the priest.  The woman who answered said he was on extended leave to care for a parent.  I tell her our story and she says that she does not expect him to be back by that time(!).  But she would find our file and send it over to the Pastor at our Church for them to perform the ceremony.

So in the end, we were never married by the priest we prepared with for months.  We also ended up having to do a few meetings with the Pastor as he wanted to vet us for marriage all over again.  It's something he always insists on and he told us why:

He actually had two cousins want to marry, but they didn't find out they were related until they were getting ready to marry.  It turns out long ago that their grandmother had twins, but died during birth.  One twin, a girl, lived with her maternal grandparents and the boy lived with the father, but never grew up together.  Those twins each married someone and had children.  Those children found each other, dated, and wanted to marry.  It was at an engagement party when it was discovered that they shared relatives.  So while technically, they were able to marry, in the end they decided not to.  So that is why our pastor always does the initial vetting!

I've written a novel, sorry for that.  But I wanted to tell you OP that I have been exactly where you are when it comes to not being married by the priest you are most familiar with.  In the end, our ceremony was great.  Since we did meet with that priest before (and he knew me from high school) we were able to get some personalization into our ceremony.  So I would highly recommend meeting with the new priest once or twice, if possible.

• Sorry to disappoint you @*Barbie*. I typed out my original post thinking that maybe if other people had things go wrong that was completely out of their imagination maybe this would be a good place for those stories. I said "Out of everything that could possibly go wrong, this is the last thing I could have imagined having to worry about." I understand that if you're not in my exact situation after the roller coaster the last 2 years has brought then I'm sure my post was a bit of a let down. I had a dream that my FI married someone else to help them get their green card and then she refused to divorce him in time for our wedding and she was snap chatting their honeymoon to me. That would be a lot higher on the drama scale and actually makes me happy that my only wedding woe right now is our priest. 
    But what was "unimaginable"?
    Catholic bureaucracy is a given, and the annulment process is a PITA. Our priest was asked to officiate a family wedding on the same day, and ended up getting the pastor to marry us instead. He also told us a few months out. It was NBD - we still managed to get married on the date and time planned. 

edited July 2016
    Keep your hair on. I wasn't trying to start a religious discussion. Just pointing out that I'm disappointed/sad about my situation and wondering if anyone else had something happen that they didn't see coming or was blindsided by. It's not a competition and I apologize from my deepest part of my soul for using the word "unimaginable." Had I known what a stink that would cause I would have used a less controversial word! It's not the end of the world, I get it. Just a bummer for me! I'm glad it's nothing worse, I wasn't trying to make it into a competition or a Jesus forum. I got some great feedback, advice and things to think about so thanks everybody!
    *fin*
  • I read from @TrixieJess 's tag down, and thought they weren't going to be allowed to be married - but it's just that you can't have this particular priest? I definitely understand being very disappointed, but you're getting married. It'll be fine - that's the key part.

I do not understand the "you can't start RCIA until the annulment" bit. (I coordinate RCIA.) I do know that you aren't technically supposed to be received until all that's worked out IF you're already remarried, but there's nothing that should stop you from beginning the process, and it should only have affected your marriage timeline. Do not understand this diocese.
  • Keep your hair on. I wasn't trying to start a religious discussion. Just pointing out that I'm disappointed/sad about my situation and wondering if anyone else had something happen that they didn't see coming or was blindsided by. It's not a competition and I apologize from my deepest part of my soul for using the word "unimaginable." Had I known what a stink that would cause I would have used a less controversial word! It's not the end of the world, I get it. Just a bummer for me! I'm glad it's nothing worse, I wasn't trying to make it into a competition or a Jesus forum. I got some great feedback, advice and things to think about so thanks everybody!
    *fin*

• So is your annulment going to be complete before the wedding? I'd be about a thousand times more worried about that than who is performing the ceremony.
    I'm honestly quite surprised they let OP set a date before the annulment process was finished, conservative diocese or no.  

The RCIA thing, there definitely should've been way more communication about that.  I could see them worrying that if you plan to someday marry or join a religious order in the Church that you'd want to know whether or not you could before converting.  IF that's the case, they should've taken the time to talk to you.  
    edited July 2016
    The annulment is complete and it was approved. Just waiting on the final documentation to come in. That was the point of my original post. It's been this huge long journey that our priest was with us for from day 1 so I was sad he wouldn't be there to finish the journey with us. And yes, I agree it's weird that they didn't want to let me do RCIA without an annulment. If you have any magic words that myself, my FI, my priest and the nun who led RCIA at that church knows that would have convinced the archdeacon then my hat goes off to you. I don't know why. I gave up arguing with them about it. At the time I wanted to join RCIA we'd talked about marriage but had no plans, no engagement, no nothing. I literally just wanted to join the church and was told no without the annulment. 
  • VarunaTT said:
    God's business:  can't stop poverty, starving children, or murder, but is ALL UP in your wedding plans.

I have never understood all of the Catholic rules re: marriage and annulment.  It's frankly ridiculous and damaging.
    As a Catholic, I fully recognize that sometimes the red tape gets out of hand and can be burdensome.  I felt like even as two catholics with no previous marriages, getting married was a bit of an ordeal.  It does bother me especially when I feel like people are pushed away from the Church for these things.

And I have no idea why she had to have an annulment before starting RCIA.  That makes no sense.

BUT the annulment process is important.  The Church just wants to make sure that you're not trying to get married while still married to someone else in God's eyes.  I understand it's an annoying and often painful process for people, but it can also be quite healing and freeing, as I've been told.  I'm not expecting non-catholics to agree with it, but from the Catholic perspective, it is important to God for you to be free to marry before you marry someone else.  The annulment isn't just the Church making up random rules.  

SaveSave
  • The annulment is complete and it was approved. Just waiting on the final documentation to come in. That was the point of my original post. It's been this huge long journey that our priest was with us for from day 1 so I was sad he wouldn't be there to finish the journey with us. And yes, I agree it's weird that they didn't want to let me do RCIA without an annulment. If you have any magic words that myself, my FI, my priest and the nun who led RCIA at that church knows that would have convinced the archdeacon then my hat goes off to you. I don't know why. I gave up arguing with them about it. At the time I wanted to join RCIA we'd talked about marriage but had no plans, no engagement, no nothing. I literally just wanted to join the church and was told no without the annulment. 
    Ah, okay. Good on you for still wanting to join. I'd be so done if people were telling me their church didn't want me because of a divorce or anything else. We're actually in the process of leaving the Baptists for the Presbyterians for numerous reasons. If they put up some petty roadblock we'd find a better fit. I'm glad you are happy with your priest, though. I think meeting with his understudy is a good idea.
  • I'm using your version of "unimaginable" but the same thing happened to me except we found out the night before, at the rehearsal. Old preist moved, didn't tell us, we didn't meet new priest until 20 minutes before the ceremony. No big deal.

Granted, we found out an hour after my Mom handed me "hair spray" that was actually arrid deodorant so my newly highlighted hair was covered in white deodorant film. So not only was I already in a idgaf attitude I also had already chugged a lime a rita before heading to the rehearsal.

• Approximately two months before our wedding, we found out our priest that we'd been through marriage prep with was being assigned to a new parish.  And, the new parish had a wedding the same day as ours.  We met our "new priest" before our wedding, but it wasn't the same (we'd been 10mo into Pre-canna at that point)- I get it...  Is there a Deacon you know that could receive the vows during a Nuptial mass?

The relationship with your priest is not ending, your married life is just beginning!  It's just that life happens and you can respect that there are times that even priests put their family first.  The priest that married one of my brothers, they'd NEVER met before the rehearsal (original priest had his annual vacation scheduled that weekend).  Your wedding will be great no matter what.  Take the opportunity to meet with the substitute if given the opportunity and relax! 

• Wow, ok so this is a thing that happens more than I thought! I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one in this boat. You're right, it will still be a lovely day without our priest and I'm sure the other one will do a great job. He won't be nearly as personable but I would assume that FI and I will be the only ones to notice that! Enough time has passed now that I'm coming to peace with it all. I posted that right after I'd found out about it! We're under the 90 day mark so things are going to start happening fast. I'm sure this isn't the last thing that won't go according to plan so I better learn to put my type-a on hold and roll with the punches. 
  • Wow, ok so this is a thing that happens more than I thought! I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one in this boat. You're right, it will still be a lovely day without our priest and I'm sure the other one will do a great job. He won't be nearly as personable but I would assume that FI and I will be the only ones to notice that! Enough time has passed now that I'm coming to peace with it all. I posted that right after I'd found out about it! We're under the 90 day mark so things are going to start happening fast. I'm sure this isn't the last thing that won't go according to plan so I better learn to put my type-a on hold and roll with the punches. 

No matter what happens remember that the only thing your guests will notice and feed off of is your energy.  A substitute priest they won't notice, a bride who is uptight and not having a good time or if something isn't properly hosted (i.e. not enough chairs, not enough bathrooms, no AC/Heat/fans, etc.) they'll notice.  Not having the buttered rolls, they won't notice because they wouldn't realize they were missing, you busy trying to be a vendor/work at your wedding, they'll notice.  Keep things in perspective, if you're having a great time, your guests will too!  Someone will be there to receive your vows, you'll both be at the altar, and there'll be someone there to sign the license - everything else is window dressing and gravy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards