New York-Long Island

Riviera at Massapequa?

I was wondering if any of you ladies are getting married at Riviera or have had your wedding/attended a wedding there? The place looks great from the photos I've seen. I've tried to find some reviews for the place, but most of the reviews I found online were several years old. However, from what I did find, the reviews, particularly on the food, were very mixed. I was hoping some of you could offer your experience with them, on service, food, etc? Thanks!

Re: Riviera at Massapequa?

• GabSkoGabSko member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I thought the website looked very pretty too, but when I called to schedule an appointment, the lady told me she would call back within an hour.  That was two weeks ago, and I still haven't heard from her.  It could have been an honest mistake, but it was my first impression of the service.  Chose to not bother anymore with it.  
  • edited December 2011
    Hmm... interesting you mention that. I sent an email inquiry to them through their web site about a week ago and never heard back. I got kind of impatient so I just gave them a call. The woman I spoke to was very nice, and I made an appointment to go for a visit this Saturday, then asked if we would be able to do a tasting before we booked. She said oh, well we're having a tasting this Thursday you could come to. I thought it was a little odd that she didn't mention that without my asking (or perhaps most places won't mention a tasting unless they think you are really serious about booking?)... so I'm definitely a little cautious about them going in, but we'll see once I go for a tasting and a visit.
  • edited December 2011
    my brother got married there 2 years ago, it was wonderful!  they delt with a woman named Vicki the whole time, she was so nice too.  one day she was out of town and he had to deal w/ another lady who worked there and he said she was horrible and if he met her on day one they would have never booked it. that was the only word of advice he told me "make sure you can get along with the coordinator cause you will be dealing with them alot"

2 years ago the food was good, but i heard things lately so i would suggest doing the tasting first. alot of places dont offer tasting unless you ask. we went to 3 tastings before we ended up book our hall, and each time we asked about it i felt we got a lil attitude about it, but whatever i refused to book anything before i got to taste the food.

good luck! 
    Oct. 2012 Siggy E-Rings Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    irisheyezrsmile..., thanks for sharing your experience. We are definitely going to the tasting on Thursday. FI and I are the same as you, we just don't feel we can blindly book a place without tasting their food. ESPECIALLY if we've heard mixed reviews on the food.
  • edited December 2011
    GOOD LUCK!
    Oct. 2012 Siggy E-Rings Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    The outside looks gorgeous! We looked there but it is not good for a large wedding- the tables were set up and I felt that some people would not be able to see the dance floor at all from their spots. We saw it set for 130.
  • edited December 2011
    Just keep trying - they are famiily owned and operated.  They are lovely people, will work with you and give you alot for your money.  Good luck
  • edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding there.  Hands down the worst food I've ever been served in any establishment.  They served "grilled tuna" that i actually could not get my fork into, it was so overcooked.  The place is beautiful, but unless it's under $20/person, the food cannot be worth it.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-long-island_riviera-massapequa-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:120Discussion:4be6684c-6ffc-4241-b3c7-b0e7af95bbd5Post:db65cacd-e3a4-4173-a740-f8fe8c2e7c8b">Re: Riviera at Massapequa?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The outside looks gorgeous! We looked there but it is not good for a large wedding- the tables were set up and I felt that some people would not be able to see the dance floor at all from their spots. We saw it set for 130.
    Posted by AStep2432[/QUOTE]

When you saw the venue set up for 130, did they set some of the tables up in the carpeted room past the bar?  When we visited, I loved the main room/ballroom, and thought if they can fit everyone in the main room, it would be great. But if they were seating people in that back room, they wouldn't be able to see anything at all, which is obviously a problem.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-long-island_riviera-massapequa-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:120Discussion:4be6684c-6ffc-4241-b3c7-b0e7af95bbd5Post:aab8f7a4-0b60-42b0-a0b6-6449c00324b4">Re: Riviera at Massapequa?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went to a wedding there.  Hands down the worst food I've ever been served in any establishment.  They served "grilled tuna" that i actually could not get my fork into, it was so overcooked.  The place is beautiful, but unless it's under $20/person, the food cannot be worth it.
    Posted by Storytime[/QUOTE]

Interesting you say that. We went for the tasting on Thursday, and all the food tasted fresh and good, however, I felt that all the dishes were very typical of what I've had at every other wedding/communion party/shower, etc. However, the mixed reviews I've read about the food lead me to believe that they may be inconsistent, which would definitely be a concern for me.

Another thing I'd like to point out to anyone considering the Riviera, is that if you are planning on having your ceremony on their property, make sure you talk to them about cleaning up all the goose poop before your ceremony. It was ALL over the grass at their ceremony site.

That said, overall I liked the venue and am still considering them, though I think I am leaning more towards another venue.
  • edited December 2011

They had tables in the back area that didn't face the dance floor.. It would not work for people to sit there, they would not be able to see!

• socialwrk1980socialwrk1980 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My best friend had her wedding there in 2008 and it was okay. The decor was not really my cup of tea but she had a good experience. It is actually where me and my fiance met lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jconigliaro23jconigliaro23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i considered having my wedding there but when i asked around about it, i heard nothing but bad things about the food and the place itself, being very dated for example.  When i called for availability and pricing (we are interested in november) they had every saturday in november available at $78pp.  To me, that isn't a good sign. 
    Good luck.
  • edited December 2011

....I fell in love with the Riveria's overall design scheme and interiors. Yes it is NOT like other catering halls. Most catering halls I looked out were bedecked in mirrors and crystal chandeliers, that in fact look far more "dated", than the Riveria's classic old world design. It gives the impression of being like a mountain chalet, but on the island, and with the fire places and wrought iron details, perfect for our winter wedding.

I have found everyone there to be more than accomodating, professional and genuinely nice people.

Granted we have yet to taste the food, but for the price we're paying (on low end due to the season), I won't be shedding tears over overdone fish. From what I have heard form people who have gone to weddings there is that the food is quite excellent. We're not food snobs and we haven't unrealistic expectations. Having worked in the food industry I know that it oftentimes difficult to produce large quantities without diminished  quality, (not impossible just challenging)  just some food for thought on that.

We're working on a very tight budget and the Riveria worked out great for us, we're VERY much looking forward to our reception. Just figured I'd stand up for the place, and one must remember what they say about opinions.....everyones got them ....just like...well... you know. Point being don't judge sight unseen is all.

...and besides it's ONE day out of your WHOLE LIFE together, yes it should be nice, but if we all go into these things thinking it's going to be the BEST day of our WHOLE lives...well where do you go from there?

(I don't work for them, and have no vested interest in their business!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards