Wedding Party

Flower girl dropping out, mom's reasoning...

My sister is getting married on Saturday. I'm the "head Co-MOH", whatever that means. Both my children are supposed to be in the wedding along with my 5 year old triplet nephews. My son is 2 and my, non-walking, daughter just turned 1. My sister wants my 2yr old son to pull my 1 yr old daughter down the isle in a wagon. I told her a few weeks ago (she's 23 wks pregnant so this is a VERY last minute event) that we would practice having my son pull her in the wagon. Total failure, he's 2, he's silly, and he's easily sidetracked. My daughter is in a "screaming while buckled because I want to do it myself" phase. I explained to my sister that it is just not a reality. I offered 2 other solutions 1.Have 2 of her cousins hold her hands and help her walk. (We practiced this with them and it is SO sweet) or 2.Let her push her walker that I covered beautifully in tulle down the isle. 

Both ideas were no's because 1.The triplets are holding signs that say here comes the bride. 2.My son has no "purpose " walking down if he's not pulling her. I told her if she would rather have the signs than her in the wedding, I completely understand. 

I'm TOTALLY fine with both my kids sitting on the sidelines with my hubs, kids aren't even invited to the wedding, so it's not like kids are going to make it more magical. I'm over how rude my sister has been to my mom during this planning (not related, but OH so related) and have absolutely no remorse in declining on her unrealistic expectations of my babies ability to perform or behave.

Please tell me if I'm way off base here!! Sometimes sisters need a little outside perspective! 

Re: Flower girl dropping out, mom's reasoning...

• Yeah....I don't know any 2 year old in the history of...ever...who is able to focus on a task and take care of a younger sibling the way your sister seems to think he's capable of.  Like, has she ever met a two year old?  Has she ever met a 12 month old?  Pull your kids from the WP and let them "enjoy" the ceremony next to dad.  

• Your sister is expecting way too much from your kids considering how young they are, and frankly, she doesn't sound like the type who will understand or find it funny if they don't do exactly what she wants. It seems like you've got more than enough to deal with for this wedding already, so take your kids out of the wedding party, let them sit with Dad, and get rid of this headache.
  • I always, always defer to the parents re: what a kid is ready for.  If you don't think it's happening, it's not happening.  Unless your sister has some kind of magic fairy dust, she needs to let this go.  I promise her wedding will still be 100% valid, regardless.  ;)

FTR, my next door neighbor when I was a kid was pulling his little sister in a wagon when she stood up, they hit a bump, and she fell out and knocked out a baby tooth.  So I am automatically allergic to this whole scenario.
  • I would never have agreed to have my 1 and 2-year-olds in the wedding party in the first place, so no, you're not out of line. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Are your kids even invited to the reception?  If that's a no, then I would just not have your kids attend any part of the day.  That ends your running around in between ceremony and reception to have to take them to your babysitter.  It also ends the ridiculous notion that your son will pull your daughter down the aisle without some sort of meltdown (from either of them!).

Your sister is being a brat and if I were you, I wouldn't be putting up with these shenanigans to begin with!

But, please give her a break on the co-MOH.  I did that because I couldn't choose between my BFF and sister.  It is much more common than you realize to have two MOH or two Best Men.

• But, please give her a break on the co-MOH.  I did that because I couldn't choose between my BFF and sister.  It is much more common than you realize to have two MOH or two Best Men.

When she said "Head Co-MOH" (which is not an issue) it does seem kind of strange.  To me it says I wanted you to be the highest honored person, and then the second in command is the "non-head" co-MOH.  I dunno it feels like they are being ranked beyond just MOH or BM.  Again not saying its a bad thing just sounds strange to me.

Anyway OP, this wedding sounds like a bit of a mess.  I think you are absolutely within your rights to refuse your two year old pull your one year old in a wagon.  You were even reasonable enough to offer alternatives which it seems your sister didn't find "cutesy" enough for her wedding.

I too am perplexed by the "they aren't even invited to the wedding" line.  Meaning your sister thinks they are special enough to be in the processional (Read great photo props) but not attend the rest of the event?  So what you are supposed find someone to watch them during the reception?  How can you even bring them home, unless the FI does it while you are taking photos with the Bride.  

It sounds like you are being a great and supportive person, but that your sister is just running rampant with the "It's my Day!" Syndrome.  I wish you all the best.

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2016
    When I was a professional church organist, I would have declined to provide my services to this wedding.  I doubt if the pastor would have OKed the plans, either.  Much too dangerous, and not focusing on the meaning of the wedding ceremony.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • But, please give her a break on the co-MOH.  I did that because I couldn't choose between my BFF and sister.  It is much more common than you realize to have two MOH or two Best Men.

When she said "Head Co-MOH" (which is not an issue) it does seem kind of strange.  To me it says I wanted you to be the highest honored person, and then the second in command is the "non-head" co-MOH.  I dunno it feels like they are being ranked beyond just MOH or BM.  Again not saying its a bad thing just sounds strange to me.

Anyway OP, this wedding sounds like a bit of a mess.  I think you are absolutely within your rights to refuse your two year old pull your one year old in a wagon.  You were even reasonable enough to offer alternatives which it seems your sister didn't find "cutesy" enough for her wedding.

I too am perplexed by the "they aren't even invited to the wedding" line.  Meaning your sister thinks they are special enough to be in the processional (Read great photo props) but not attend the rest of the event?  So what you are supposed find someone to watch them during the reception?  How can you even bring them home, unless the FI does it while you are taking photos with the Bride.  

It sounds like you are being a great and supportive person, but that your sister is just running rampant with the "It's my Day!" Syndrome.  I wish you all the best.

I didn't read that much into the wording then, but you are right.  I guess OP could have meant there was a head MOH and a non-head MOH.  It would have been nice if OP would have come backed to clarify!
  • So sorry I've taken so long to get back to all your helpful comments! It's been quite a WEEK overy here. We just found out I'm pregnant with #3, so we are on to a new season...I'm 8 weeks and I'm keeping it quiet until after her wedding so not to take away from the day...unless, as my Hubs says, I need to use it to my advantage if things get "cray cray!" :wink:

To answer a few questions 
    -No, kids are not invited to the reception, she wanted them there for a picture with her dancing and then wanted them gone. Not happening. We got a sitter for all the kids and the dads are taking them to my parents immediately after the ceremony.

Co-Head MOH isn't an issue, it's just strange. The other "co-moh" is our cousin. According to the texts she sent my mom my sister didn't want me but didn't want me at all, but is "being nice" and is "pissed" that I told my mom I thought it was strange having 2 MOH when she was having a small wedding party.
  • Heffalump said:
    I always, always defer to the parents re: what a kid is ready for.  If you don't think it's happening, it's not happening.  Unless your sister has some kind of magic fairy dust, she needs to let this go.  I promise her wedding will still be 100% valid, regardless.  ;)

FTR, my next door neighbor when I was a kid was pulling his little sister in a wagon when she stood up, they hit a bump, and she fell out and knocked out a baby tooth.  So I am automatically allergic to this whole scenario.
    This was my EXACT fear! I've heard several hooror stories when trying to get kids to perform! 
  • You said kids aren't even invited to the wedding. Does this mean your kids are the only kids attending both ceremony and reception, or is your sister not even allowing your wedding-party-member kids into the reception??
    No kids at the reception. They will only be at the wedding. She wanted them at the reception for a photo, but then wanted them gone. We declined on that...you know how hard it would be to get a toddler to leave a dance party right after he got there?!? Never gonna happen. 
  • Congrats on your pregnancy, OP!
  • Well - it's safe to say that she's clueless on all things kids... 

A 2yo pulling a 1yo in a wagon - Good one!  I don't think it's reasonable to expect that one to be pulled off until the elder of the two is at least 5-6yo...  And stage freight!  It's one thing to have them there and if they get down the aisle whether in someone's arms or never walking down there is one thing, to expect them to be school-age maturity when they're 1-2, not happening! 

Next - your pregnancy is NOT going to steal her thunder!  Tell people when you're ready not some arbitrary time or worse, announced in anger..

• No kids at the reception. They will only be at the wedding. She wanted them at the reception for a photo, but then wanted them gone. We declined on that...you know how hard it would be to get a toddler to leave a dance party right after he got there?!? Never gonna happen. 

There is no way in hell I would even bring the kids then...that is beyond rude!  She is just using them all as her pretty little props...ugh.  Is this wedding even near where the kiddos need to be dropped off?  That can be a lot of unnecessary driving if you are in a rural area. 

Congrats on the Pregnancy!!!  That is so exciting there is no way I think I could keep it hushed, but you know your sister and sounds like announcing that now would absolutely ruin her "special day", although you have every right to announce it when you feel ready to.

Good luck with all of this!

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Congrats on your pregnancy OP!  It's nice of you to even bring your kids to the ceremony at all, I totally wouldn't give into the photo op. 
    And I'm laughing so hard at your sister's vision...my older daughter recently turned 2 and my twins turned 1 on Monday...the thought of the wagon thing working is laughable :D:#
  • drunkenwitchdrunkenwitch member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2016
    First, congrats on number 3.

Second, your sister's behavior is, to put it mildly, absolutely appalling. Where to start. Demanding you put your children in a dangerous situation. No. Just no. He's 2 for crying out loud, I would never expect a 2 year old to have the capacity to care for a younger sibling. Not invited to reception? That is bullshit. They are human beings not little wind up dolls she can use for her amusement. Invited to the ceremony equals invited to the reception no matter what age you are. Period. I have no problem with people wanting a childfree wedding but that means the entire wedding is childfree, children are not props for your photos. They deserve to be treated like honored guests just like everyone else.

Good luck OP, I have to say, you are handling this shitshow with a lot of grace and class.

• And please stick around, you're cool.

• Tell her your kids are scheduled to have chicken pox that weekend. :P
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• I would pull your kids, they are young enough that they won't realize what happened. It's not worth it to stress your daughter out. They can still come & be there for some great family photos & that should be enough. If it's not, tell her are you prepared for a screaming child at the ceremony & then you and/or husband having to scramble to deal with the kids which will cause a distraction on her wedding day.
  • Erikan73 said:
    I would pull your kids, they are young enough that they won't realize what happened. It's not worth it to stress your daughter out. They can still come & be there for some great family photos & that should be enough. If it's not, tell her are you prepared for a screaming child at the ceremony & then you and/or husband having to scramble to deal with the kids which will cause a distraction on her wedding day.
    LOL when I read "pull your kids" I was thinking you meant in the wagon of the other post! Glad I finished reading before replying!
  • @chrisanna30, how did the wedding go?
  • geebee908 said:
    @chrisanna30, how did the wedding go?
    I'm curious too!
  • geebee908 said:
    @chrisanna30, how did the wedding go?
    I'm curious too!
    So am I.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards