Attire & Accessories Forum

Wrist Loop for Train

Hi, I am having a wrist loop for my train instead of a traditional bustle. My dress has a detachable overskirt, which has the train so this is an easy solution. My question is, should the loop be on the left or the right wrist? I have googled it and couldn't find a conclusive answer. Does anyone know what is "proper" for the wrist loop? Thanks! This is what my train looks like if anyone is interested. 

Edited for autocorrect typo 

Re: Wrist Loop for Train

• I would go with your non-dominant hand. You're going to need to eat, drink, use the ladies room so you'll want your dominant hand more "free". 
    Ok that's why I was asking. At my fitting yesterday the seamstress was pulling it towards my right hand. I'm right handed so that might get annoying. 
  • Agree with @charlotte989875 on the side preference.

However I would add that if you plan to leave the skirt on for the entire reception, I would also have the seamstress add loops for the bustle. I think it'll look really cool to do the wrist thing, but a couple hours into the reception, you may decide it seemed like a good idea at the time. At least then you'd have the option of bustling.

Also a good idea, thanks! I won't lie though, I totally hated the way the bustle looked when my seamstress pinned it yesterday. It was pinned right under my butt and looked super awkward. She said it's hard to do because the actual dress is a mermaid, and it's just the overskirt that has to be bustled. I figure if I get annoyed holding it up I can remove the overskirt easily since it's attached by buttons. 
  • You'll get most of your pictures out of the way in the beginning and a couple hours in, all you're (probably) going to care about is easily enjoying your party. You'll want to be free to move, socialize, dance, etc. If you never put it up, no biggie.

*********************************************************************************

• It goes on the right wrist, since your left hand goes on your dance partner's shoulder.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    It goes on the right wrist, since your left hand goes on your dance partner's shoulder.
    What about one on each side: one on the right for dancing and one on the left for everything else?
  • Put on your dress and walk around holding the train for ~1 hour or so. You may find you can't stand it and really want a bustle so you don't have to haul it around the whole reception. Most brides I've seen with a wrist loop get a red mark from it chafing their skin and eventually give up and let the dress drag.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2016
    CMGragain said:
    It goes on the right wrist, since your left hand goes on your dance partner's shoulder.
    What about one on each side: one on the right for dancing and one on the left for everything else?
    This is simply the traditional way in which trains were handled.  It was only an issue for dancing.  It did not affect dining or conversation.  This was when trains were common on evening gowns in the nineteenth century.
    Except for eating, gloves were worn, so the chafing of the wrist did not happen.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    CMGragain said:
    This is simply the traditional way in which trains were handled.  It was only an issue for dancing.  It did not affect dining or conversation.  This was when trains were common on evening gowns in the nineteenth century.
    Except for eating, gloves were worn, so the chafing of the wrist did not happen.
    This is exactly why I asked. I've seen it both ways in pictures, but it made sense to me to have it on the right for the first dance. Thanks!
  • A little late, but is it possible to have your dress bustled in a different style?? I know the "on top of the butt" method is more common, but perhaps there are some other ways to do it they may work better and be more comfortable.  I know I would be annoyed with a wrist strap after about 20 minutes with it, so it makes a good back up plan.
  • A little late, but is it possible to have your dress bustled in a different style?? I know the "on top of the butt" method is more common, but perhaps there are some other ways to do it they may work better and be more comfortable.  I know I would be annoyed with a wrist strap after about 20 minutes with it, so it makes a good back up plan.
    Unfortunately I have to pick up the dress on Monday, so it's a little too late. The train really is fairly light so I'm hoping it doesn't annoy me, but if it does become an issue during the reception I'll just have to get rid of the overskirt.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    My dress had a bustle and wrist loop. I used the bustle for walking around/ mingling at the reception but I liked the wrist loop for dancing.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards