Wedding Woes
Options

My BF is perfect...except for the secret marriage thing.

Dear Prudence, 
I am the perpetually single friend. Now in my mid-to-late 20s, I think I finally met someone great. Things had been progressing perfectly for a few months until on a recent afternoon he confessed that he is married to his roommate, his best friend’s older sister. He is an immigrant and while I thought he had gotten a green card through the lottery, he is actually getting it through this marriage. It is strictly a business arrangement. Their relationship is closer to that of siblings than anything else. They are about one year into the marriage, with one left to go. I don’t feel jealous. And I’m actually really glad he trusts me with this huge burden he has been carrying. I would never want to jeopardize his immigration status. But I’m struggling with understanding what this could mean for our future. We want a lot of the same things and before this I was thinking that maybe I had finally found the right person. I want to take pictures, take vacations, and introduce him to family. I want to make him part of my life and for the next year I don’t know that will be possible to the extent that I want. What should I do?

—Married Boyfriend

Re: My BF is perfect...except for the secret marriage thing.

• Options
    Like Tom in Parks & Rec?
  • Options
    Like Tom in Parks & Rec?
    That was exactly my thought.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
  • Options
    Le sigh.

Walk away, tell him if he wants to reconnect when he's single again that you'll give it a try if you're available and still interested.  The time married portion is not absolute, and his green card can be revoked post divorce if the government decides the marriage was a farce.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards