Wedding Woes

Fork in the unwanted pregnancy road

Re: Fork in the unwanted pregnancy road

• @ShesSoCold you're right. When I think of the word selfish, I don't necessarily think of it as a strict negative. When I say selfish, I mean putting myself first. When I hide the pop-tarts because I want the last one, to me, that's selfish. I maybe need to find a better word.

@mrs.conn23 I've seen that study, too. It's an incredibly low percentage that feel any regret about their decision. Your point about pro-birthers is the reason I am pro-choice. These people who want to force a woman to birth a baby are the same ones bitching about having to pay $6 in taxes a year (on average) for welfare benefits for that same person. 

The US is abysmal, especially in the bible belt where I am, about sex education. They only want to teach abstinence and that has literally never worked. Want to give teens easier access to BC? Oh hell no! That promotes promiscuity. If that little slut doesn't want a baby she should keep her legs closed. <--I've actually seen this said. Gross, right? Everyone wants lower abortion rates where I am, but they're not willing to do a damn thing to help get them.
    I've seen this as well.   And as someone who IS pro life I want to shake those who say this.    
  • banana468 said:
    @ShesSoCold you're right. When I think of the word selfish, I don't necessarily think of it as a strict negative. When I say selfish, I mean putting myself first. When I hide the pop-tarts because I want the last one, to me, that's selfish. I maybe need to find a better word.

@mrs.conn23 I've seen that study, too. It's an incredibly low percentage that feel any regret about their decision. Your point about pro-birthers is the reason I am pro-choice. These people who want to force a woman to birth a baby are the same ones bitching about having to pay $6 in taxes a year (on average) for welfare benefits for that same person. 

The US is abysmal, especially in the bible belt where I am, about sex education. They only want to teach abstinence and that has literally never worked. Want to give teens easier access to BC? Oh hell no! That promotes promiscuity. If that little slut doesn't want a baby she should keep her legs closed. <--I've actually seen this said. Gross, right? Everyone wants lower abortion rates where I am, but they're not willing to do a damn thing to help get them.
    I've seen this as well.   And as someone who IS pro life I want to shake those who say this.    
    I had a friend from college who became pregnant with their third child, their apartment caught on fire and they lost everything.  She had to quit her child because the costs of rebuilding were so high they couldn't afford daycare any  longer.  They had to go on assistance.  A "pro-life" friend of mine in a debate about government assistance programs lambasted her for having a child when they weren't financially ready.  

I'm too ragey for the world today.
  • banana468 said:
    @ShesSoCold you're right. When I think of the word selfish, I don't necessarily think of it as a strict negative. When I say selfish, I mean putting myself first. When I hide the pop-tarts because I want the last one, to me, that's selfish. I maybe need to find a better word.

I had a friend from college who became pregnant with their third child, their apartment caught on fire and they lost everything.  She had to quit her child because the costs of rebuilding were so high they couldn't afford daycare any  longer.  They had to go on assistance.  A "pro-life" friend of mine in a debate about government assistance programs lambasted her for having a child when they weren't financially ready.  

I'm too ragey for the world today.
    There was a debate on a board I frequent about how 'we don't need' to make accommodations for pregnant women or have mandatory family leave.   It's really hard to not make women who say this understand that they're talking out of both sides of their mouths.    We need to be more than pro-birth.    
  • banana468 said:
    There was a debate on a board I frequent about how 'we don't need' to make accommodations for pregnant women or have mandatory family leave.   It's really hard to not make women who say this understand that they're talking out of both sides of their mouths.    We need to be more than pro-birth.    
    When I had to go back to work after 6 weeks, I bawled! I wasn't ready and Harrison wasn't ready. The effects on my having to return to work so soon, is that I quickly began having milk supply issues and had to begin supplementing with formula. Once you introduce formula, that causes another dip in milk production, so you have to give more formula. Canada has it right! Moms and babies need that time together. 
  • banana468 said:
    When I had to go back to work after 6 weeks, I bawled! I wasn't ready and Harrison wasn't ready. The effects on my having to return to work so soon, is that I quickly began having milk supply issues and had to begin supplementing with formula. Once you introduce formula, that causes another dip in milk production, so you have to give more formula. Canada has it right! Moms and babies need that time together. 
    Our system isn't perfect. We pay for our maternity leave with our taxes and we only get 55% of our earnings while off. Our maternity leave is 15 weeks for just mom. Parental leave is 35 weeks which can be taken and split by either partner. There is also 16 weeks of medical leave that can be taken prior to your due date in case of complications. Our jobs are guaranteed for 2 years after the birth or adoption of a child. The 50 weeks can also be used for adoption. There is talk about extending the leave to 18 months so we'll see if that comes to fruition and they just increased our monthly child tax credit.

Day care is really expensive in some areas and there are some areas that it is nonexistent. So we have some areas that need to be worked on. 
  • @TrixieJess do you get paid during the entire time or only the first 15 weeks? We have nothing here unless your employer offers it. Mine, fortunately, offered me short term disability for 6 weeks, 8 if I'd had a c-section, at 60% of my weekly pay. But because I had to add my son to my healthcare plan, they had to increase the amount of my health insurance and I had to catch up premiums. My pay went from a doable, but tight $250 a week to a paltry $110. 
  • Ditto.   My maternity leave was self-financed.

I had to bank the vacation time that I had which was about 3 weeks - that also meant that I had NO time to take off when I got back from leave.   I also took out a short-term disability insurance policy years before I was pregnant to cover the leave.   If I didn't have that then I would have been SOL to get paid in that time. 

And yeah - I went back to work at 7 weeks for DD and 6 for DS.   The pumping conditions were awful after DD and my supply tanked.   Luckily I had my own office by the time DS made his way into the world so I was able to close my door and do it on an as needed basis.    
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2016
    I am *incredibly* blessed in the fact that my company paid 100% salary for 6 weeks of maternity leave and we do not have to pay for short-term disability, it is company financed.  However after 6 weeks, you get nada unless you cover it with vacation.  And while on leave, you do not earn your vacation days (I think my rate is 2 days/month).   You have to be present on the 1st of the month (not on leave, you can be on vacation/take a sick day) to earn your vacation time. 
  • monkeysipmonkeysip member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2016
    mrs.conn23 said:
    LOL!  I think she's talking about Canada viewing it as more socially acceptable. 

Also, I read about a study not too long about how women who've had abortions don't feel shame or regret at the rates that pro-birthers (because they *are* not pro-life since there's not a single one I've met/read about who has any interest in helping the mother with the baby they want to force her to have..and you know, a lot of them are pro-death penalty) would have you believe.  And a lot of women felt a societal pressure to  feel those feelings and/or somehow mourn the decision to end their pregnancy.   I'll have to see if I can find it. 
    Look, there ARE some truly pro-life people out there, myself included.

I am pro-life, but I'm also appalled at the state of healthcare, maternity leave, etc. in this country.  I want better rights for women, equal pay, equal protection, and an end to rape culture.  I am a feminist.  I want the death penalty abolished, and I oppose all torture, carpet bombing, etc.  I want a much more peaceful foreign policy, and I want to see more care for immigrants and refugees.  I want to see improvements in education, welfare, social services, and the adoption/foster programs.

I know that being anti-abortion is super unpopular around these boards, so I hesitate to say anything at all.  But I don't like being lumped in with the "pro-birthers"--and I agree with you, a lot of "pro-life" people are not pro-life in any other realm except for abortion.  Those people drive me crazy, and I probably spend a heck of a lot more time arguing with them than I ever do with pro-choice people.  I'm not a Republican, and in fact, I actually voted for Sanders.  

But there's others who share my views too.  So please don't think we're all like that, as much as you may vehemently disagree with the pro-life view.

ETA:  There's even a pretty substantial group called "pro-life democrats" who see things the way I do.  They are out there- I think only the hypocritical pro-lifers ever get any media attention.

SaveSave
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2016
    monkeysip said:
    mrs.conn23 said:
    LOL!  I think she's talking about Canada viewing it as more socially acceptable. 

Also, I read about a study not too long about how women who've had abortions don't feel shame or regret at the rates that pro-birthers (because they *are* not pro-life since there's not a single one I've met/read about who has any interest in helping the mother with the baby they want to force her to have..and you know, a lot of them are pro-death penalty) would have you believe.  And a lot of women felt a societal pressure to  feel those feelings and/or somehow mourn the decision to end their pregnancy.   I'll have to see if I can find it. 
    Look, there ARE some truly pro-life people out there, myself included.

I am pro-life, but I'm also appalled at the state of healthcare, maternity leave, etc. in this country.  I want better rights for women, equal pay, equal protection, and an end to rape culture.  I am a feminist.  I want the death penalty abolished, and I oppose all torture, carpet bombing, etc.  I want a much more peaceful foreign policy, and I want to see more care for immigrants and refugees.  I want to see improvements in education, welfare, social services, and the adoption/foster programs.

I know that being anti-abortion is super unpopular around these boards, so I hesitate to say anything at all.  But I don't like being lumped in with the "pro-birthers"--and I agree with you, a lot of "pro-life" people are not pro-life in any other realm except for abortion.  Those people drive me crazy, and I probably spend a heck of a lot more time arguing with them than I ever do with pro-choice people.  I'm not a Republican, and in fact, I actually voted for Sanders.  

But there's others who share my views too.  So please don't think we're all like that, as much as you may vehemently disagree with the pro-life view.

ETA:  There's even a pretty substantial group called "pro-life democrats" who see things the way I do.  They are out there- I think only the hypocritical pro-lifers ever get any media attention.
    I'm personally pro-life, as in, for myself.  I would *not* terminate a pregnancy unless there was a medical need to do so and it would be devastating to me/the Mr. since the baby would be wanted.  

However, I am pro-choice for everyone else.  And if someone were to seek my counsel, I'd not be all, "Let's go to the clinic and get that baby out of you!" BUT, I would not judge someone for making that decision.  As I stated up-thread, it seems that there's a lot of forces against you and unless you're financially (and emotionally) comfortable...having kids can be quite a burden. 

Finally, when I'm referring to pro-birthers...It really is the rabid people who are all, "Make them have all the babies, but fuck them if they need help!  They're not getting a hand-out.  Pull those fucking bootstraps up and live with your decisions, you whore! You should have kept your legs closed and you need Jesus." 
  • @TrixieJess do you get paid during the entire time or only the first 15 weeks? We have nothing here unless your employer offers it. Mine, fortunately, offered me short term disability for 6 weeks, 8 if I'd had a c-section, at 60% of my weekly pay. But because I had to add my son to my healthcare plan, they had to increase the amount of my health insurance and I had to catch up premiums. My pay went from a doable, but tight $250 a week to a paltry $110. 
    Except for the two week wait period, the entire time. If your partner takes the rest of the leave, the wait period is waived. 
  • I work for an employer that has never had a commissioned employee take maternity leave (there aren't very many of us).  As such, our written policy is only relative to salaried employees so we'd have to create a policy just for me.

Despite how progressive my workplace can be sometimes, this worries me because they just denied flex time to an expecting employee because they didn't want to set a "precedent."  My male coworkers have had 5 babies since I started and I feel like if we do get pregnant, it'll be a punishment at a workplace.

It sucks that that is how it is in this country.  Again, damned if you do because we don't support working mothers and damned if you don't because of the stigma (both around abortion as well as being the non parent in a group of working parents).
  • kerbohl said:
    @charlotte989875 I would never want the government to have a say in who has access to abortion. It's just my personal thoughts are that this instance seems selfish. TO ME. If I really think about it, though, most abortions are done for selfish reasons, so this one isn't any different. 

As for the life she envisioned...eh. Hardly, no one ever really lives the life they envisioned for themselves. I never pictured I'd be 39 before I finished school. I never pictured that I'd have 3 kids. I never pictured that I'd be married more than once. I never pictured I'd live in a crappy neighborhood, but still be proud of my home. The list goes on, you know. 

Putting yourself and your wants/needs first =/= selfish
    SITB Except sometimes putting yourself and your wants/needs first IS selfish  ... I think you mean that in this particular case, it is not selfish.
    The problem, here, however, is that this is the perfect storm for regretting an abortion in the future.  Society has been looking at abortion like it's a great thing (keep in mind I'm Canadian, so that's more the opinion here), but there are still huge repercussions, even when it is the best solution.  In this case, it's an acceptable solution to LW at the very most - she seems to be very upset at the timing of it, but not at the idea of having the child.  She needs to think about the psychological and emotion repercussions of an abortion.  It is never just a physical thing.  
    If you are Canadian then you know that abortion wasn't legal for all women here until 1988. Before that they had to have their husband's consent or barring that 2 doctors signing off on it.

There are parts of THIS country (Canada)that don't have adequate access to abortion or proper maternal health care especially in the North or on Reserves. Oftentimes, these women don't even have a choice so get off your sanctimonious high horse. The LW has a right to choose, a hard fought for right.

ETF: Angry typing on a phone
    Gee, I wasn't trying to be condescending - my point is that abortion is necessary to have available, but the emotional/psychological side effects seem to be too often glossed over, and I was worried that LW was not fully confronting those potential repercussions.  Also, my point about access was that it is legal in this country now. Yes, women in the past and women in isolated areas do/did not always have a choice.  How did I insult those women in my post?  I REALLY care about their mental health - being forced to have a child you don't want can be just as (and often moreso) damaging  as aborting a child that it turns out you did want. 
    I have not read this study that people are talking about, and it sounds really interesting.  I'm sure that you can tell from what I've just said in these posts, but the low percentage of remorse is not what I've been hearing.  Anyone have more info about that?  Also, having no remorse does not mean that these women didn't have the emotional/psychological side effects that I'm talking about.  When you put down a pet, you don't regret that they are no longer in pain and that you did the right thing, but emotionally it's hard.  It nowhere near compares to the abortion debate, but it's the only example I could think of in terms of remorse versus emotional impact. 

• Thanks for doing the teh googlez for me @VarunaTT.  I was too lazy, LOL. ;)<3
  • VarunaTT said:
    Citations/overview in these two write ups:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-women-abortion-idUSKCN0PR1KP20150717

http://time.com/3956781/women-abortion-regret-reproductive-health/

The sample was small; it's already a fairly small population to start with and they followed it for a nice length of time and considered divisions like income/race/age, etc.
    Thanks @VarunaTT!  I will give it a look.

• I live in a state (Louisiana) with a lot of pro-life sentiment. Despite being in the "top ten" for both "most expensive" and "worst quality" healthcare.  But that is a rant for another day.

My all time least favorite bumper sticker I've seen around here is, "Y'all's Mama was Pro-Life."

NO. NO. NO.  What a ridiculous thing to say!  Lots of mothers are Pro-Choice.  CHOOSING to have a baby, does not automatically make someone Pro-Life.

And that whole trying to end run around the Supreme Court Roe vs. Wade decision with some states requiring doctors performing abortions to have hospital admitting privileges...essentially making it impossible for the majority of abortion providers to exist*...because it's all for a "woman's own good".  That B.S. was recently struck down by SCOTUS (I believe).  Or there needs to be a waiting period or she needs to be given pamphlets/watch a movie...because she just doesn't know the seriousness.  It's all for her own good.  So, abortions=bad, infantilizing women=good. 

My whole thing is, if a person/group is pro-life, that's fine.  But just own up to it.  Be against the terminating of a fetus.  I don't agree, but can at least understand where that comes from.  But don't "song and dance" it that "you're just trying to do what is best for the mother", just because the legal question of abortion was decided decades ago.  This was all general "you", not directed at anyone on this board.

*My understanding of the reason it is difficult for most abortion providers to get hospital admitting privileges is because for a doctor to get hospital admitting privileges...they need a history of patients who occasionally go to the hospital.  It is extremely rare for a patient having an abortion to need to go to the hospital during or afterwards.  Hence, abortion providers don't have enough patients going to the hospital on an annual basis to warrant privileges.    

Thanks for clarifying the bolded because I couldn't understand why that was a big deal. All the doctors I have, have admitting privileges so I couldn't understand what the problem was in requiring doctors who perform abortions to have admitting privileges. So in the event a woman does need to go to the hospital, who would admit her if not the doctor who performs the abortion?
  • I live in a state (Louisiana) with a lot of pro-life sentiment. Despite being in the "top ten" for both "most expensive" and "worst quality" healthcare.  But that is a rant for another day.

My all time least favorite bumper sticker I've seen around here is, "Y'all's Mama was Pro-Life."

NO. NO. NO.  What a ridiculous thing to say!  Lots of mothers are Pro-Choice.  CHOOSING to have a baby, does not automatically make someone Pro-Life.

And that whole trying to end run around the Supreme Court Roe vs. Wade decision with some states requiring doctors performing abortions to have hospital admitting privileges...essentially making it impossible for the majority of abortion providers to exist*...because it's all for a "woman's own good".  That B.S. was recently struck down by SCOTUS (I believe).  Or there needs to be a waiting period or she needs to be given pamphlets/watch a movie...because she just doesn't know the seriousness.  It's all for her own good.  So, abortions=bad, infantilizing women=good. 

My whole thing is, if a person/group is pro-life, that's fine.  But just own up to it.  Be against the terminating of a fetus.  I don't agree, but can at least understand where that comes from.  But don't "song and dance" it that "you're just trying to do what is best for the mother", just because the legal question of abortion was decided decades ago.  This was all general "you", not directed at anyone on this board.

*My understanding of the reason it is difficult for most abortion providers to get hospital admitting privileges is because for a doctor to get hospital admitting privileges...they need a history of patients who occasionally go to the hospital.  It is extremely rare for a patient having an abortion to need to go to the hospital during or afterwards.  Hence, abortion providers don't have enough patients going to the hospital on an annual basis to warrant privileges.    

Thanks for clarifying the bolded because I couldn't understand why that was a big deal. All the doctors I have, have admitting privileges so I couldn't understand what the problem was in requiring doctors who perform abortions to have admitting privileges. So in the event a woman does need to go to the hospital, who would admit her if not the doctor who performs the abortion?
    Probably the doctor on staff, but that happens literally 0.25% of the time. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards