Wedding Woes
Options

So...weekly spelling tests?

Dear Prudence, 
I’ve been dating a sweet, funny, caring man for a year. I think marriage is in our future. I love everything about him, except for one thing that drives me crazy. He CAN’T SPELL ANYTHING. Every text, email, letter I’ve seen him write (his job doesn’t involve writing, thank goodness) has the majority of words severely misspelled. He can read just fine and is not dyslexic. He’s just never made an effort to learn how to spell. Is it unreasonable to ask him to work on this so I’m not peeved by every word he writes? Or is this something I have to learn to accept? Prudie, I’ve been with this guy for a year and he doesn’t know how to spell my last name.

—Can’t Spell

Re: So...weekly spelling tests?

• Options
    He should learn how to spell her name, and she should learn to let the rest of it go. 
  • Options
    FFS spelling is not the end-all-be-all.  DH is a fucking horrible speller.  We argue constantly about grammar (he's always wrong).  I still married the guy.  I didn't know how to spell his last name until 6 months after we started dating.

Let it go.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    I am the terrible speller in my house. It's sad because I read constantly. I can recognize that I am spelling it wrong but I can not, for the life of me, figure out how to put the letters together correctly.  :( 
    Thankfully, FH loves me anyway.
  • Options
    I agree that spelling is NBD.  But I also think if it's driving her crazy, maybe it's not the spelling.  Maybe it's him, and the spelling is just the excuse. 
  • Options
    FW is a terrible speller and always asks me how to spell things. It doesn't bother me at all. 
  • Options
    DK is awful with spelling. I tease him about it when he inadvertently uses the wrong word because he doesn't know how to spell the word correctly, and spellcheck doesn't know the difference. (e.g. descent instead of decent).

Last name concern goes completely out the window if it's Polish. I didn't figure out how to sign DK's last name until we were cashing wedding checks. (I could spell it by the time we got married, but the cursive part escaped me. What drunken asshat came up with a cursive "z"?)
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    *Barbie* said:
    DK is awful with spelling. I tease him about it when he inadvertently uses the wrong word because he doesn't know how to spell the word correctly, and spellcheck doesn't know the difference. (e.g. descent instead of decent).

Last name concern goes completely out the window if it's Polish. I didn't figure out how to sign DK's last name until we were cashing wedding checks. (I could spell it by the time we got married, but the cursive part escaped me. What drunken asshat came up with a cursive "z"?)
    That's my favorite cursive letter! Capital Q, though? Can't do it. 
  • Options
    I married an editor - so you can guess how spell check works in our house...  I also have a functionally illiterate 16yo niece and does the spelling issue drive all of us in the family BSC!  The deal breaker here with the LW is that he's not spelling her name correctly.  Either time for spelling class or time to spell out the end of the relationship. 
  • Options
    @ShesSoCold i actually made a Billy Madison comment at the bank
  • Options
    I'm really good at writing/grammar and often am asked to proof things, but I was always good at it. {hidden talent?}

Anyways .... I know adults who are unable to spell and yes it irks me because it's a pet peeve, but it's more of a whatever situation. LW's H doesn't have a job that requires it, so I guess that's fine. If LW is that concerned, maybe she should talk to him. Maybe he's dyslexic?

Also ..... agreed with EVERYONE lower case z's are evil.
  • Options
    I can handle misspelled words way better than the misuse of "seen."  If LW was complaining about that, I'd encourage her to leave.
  • Options
    If his grammar is fine I think I'd let it go. How often are you reading notes? Most people don't seem to use proper spelling in texts anyway so I feel like I'd probably let it go.
  • Options
    Is it spelling or incorrect use of words?  IMO there's a bignore difference between how to spell pretense vs. knowing when to use your and you're.   
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Is it spelling or incorrect use of words?  IMO there's a bignore difference between how to spell pretense vs. knowing when to use your and you're.   
    I was actually just thinking about this not 5 minutes ago.  "Thier" is a misspelling.  Using "their" when you meant "they're" is grammatical.  IMO.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options

I'm a horrible speller (I was a phonics kid) and I also butcher foreign language words all the time. FI is great speller and speaks 5 languages fluently. We had a talk shortly after getting together that was basically a "stop correcting my foreign pronunciation and I'll work on my spelling". Spell check is my friend. I also use other words when I'm not entirely sure about how to spell something.

I think "Can't Spell" needs to have a conversation with FI and figure out a compromise. I tend to think of those that can spell and speak languages as smarter but I'm learning that speaking languages and having perfect spelling only means that you are smart in one aspect. I can do all sorts of medical things that FI can't. I'm smarter in that aspect.

• Options
    ernursej said:

I'm a horrible speller (I was a phonics kid) and I also butcher foreign language words all the time. FI is great speller and speaks 5 languages fluently. We had a talk shortly after getting together that was basically a "stop correcting my foreign pronunciation and I'll work on my spelling". Spell check is my friend. I also use other words when I'm not entirely sure about how to spell something.

I think "Can't Spell" needs to have a conversation with FI and figure out a compromise. I tend to think of those that can spell and speak languages as smarter but I'm learning that speaking languages and having perfect spelling only means that you are smart in one aspect. I can do all sorts of medical things that FI can't. I'm smarter in that aspect.

So much this. I have a bachelor's in English, but FW is as smart as or smarter than I am in some other aspects.
  • Options
    BF does a few things that annoy tbe shit out of me. But they are really minor. It never involves how he talks to me or treats me. So I remind myself to take a breath and think "if him leaving a coffee cup on the end table  instead of putting in the sink is THE most annoying thing he does, I can totally let that go".

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards