Wedding Woes
Options

Friday!!

What's up for the weekend?!

Tonight: I'm going to 'Swayze Fest' on the art museum lawn.  Roadhouse and Dirty Dancing.  Woo-hoo.  I'm going with my sister and some friends. 

Tomorrow:  I have to work. Womp, womp. 

Sunday: DH is going mountain biking with BIL.  I should get up and go see SIL and nephew.  But we'll see how I feel.   The rest of Sunday is probably going to be me being a blob on the couch.  

I need new shows to watch.  I also need to make a list of podcasts and put it somewhere on my desk.  I'm constantly forgetting to listen to certain ones. 

Re: Friday!!

• Options
    Y'all, this is me this week:
    httpiimgurcom2cOunlGgif

But it's Friday morning, and I think I'm gonna make it across that finish line. 

Wooz's tryout was good.  I have no idea how she did:  parents were herded elsewhere for a "parent meeting" that I think was mostly designed to prevent them from shouting things from the pool deck.  The coach said they were looking for technique over speed.  Wooz is fast, but they weren't giving out medals for technique, so I don't know how hers compares to that of other kids.  They email their decisions on 7/31, so whatever.  Picked up DS afterward and took them to Cold Stone to spoil their supper. 

My mom is doing well, slowly bouncing back.

DH's team is presenting their results today and assuming that goes well, he should be back to normal again in time for the weekend.  In the great tag team of kid activities (how do those of you with more kids than parents manage?!), I'm taking Wooz to riding tomorrow, and we're going for pedis afterward.  (Though I know she's going to negotiate me up to a mani/pedi.)  And then we have to get the house back in order, because one of her besties is sleeping over Saturday/Sunday.

I am having working mom guilt this morning.  TBH, it's usually not much of an issue, and I'm fortunate that the juggling almost always works out.  But today, Wooz has her Artist Showcase for ceramics camp at 12:30, which was perfect.  Until my boss schedule a goodbye lunch for coworker from 11:30 - 1:00.  Which is weird, because remember my department lunch last week that I said didn't suck?  That was supposed to be her goodbye, my birthday, and another woman's birthday.  So now we're doing goodbye again?  I floated the idea of skipping this showcase, since I went to the last one, and Wooz was not enthused about me missing it.  (And anyway, I don't really like the restaurant they picked, though I'm pretending that's not a factor.)  I feel weird skipping the lunch, but I just went to a work lunch.  Sigh.
  • Options
    @mrs.conn23 Swayze Fest sounds fantastic!! have you watched Stranger Things on netflix yet? It's pretty good and there is only one season so perfect for sundays.

FH and I celebrated his new job a little too hard last night. I spent half the night on the phone informing my New England family of the change in wedding plans. The incredibly unfortunate thing is, they all just bought airline tickets a couple weeks ago. They are all getting together this weekend for my aunt's birthday so they will be able to talk about whether they want to continue with a families meeting /reunion/ going away party in October or if they would just want us to reimburse them monies paid. 
    Meanwhile, FH and I are kind of just waiting for him to have a meeting with HR. He still needs an official start date, we have questions about my visa, housing, a general timeline of the process. He listed the end of August as a start time but he is supposed to be out of town for 3 weeks in August. If that's the case, I am not looking forward to packing up the entire house by myself... even if there are movers to help, it will stress me out. But, like FH says, I am waiting for a timeline before I worry about a damn thing.

All that is on the weekend agenda is lounging. And horseback riding on Sunday since I didn't go yesterday.

• Options
    I'm so excited.  There was a fundraiser event I wanted to go to, but didn't have the monies to budget.  One of my bosses is a sponsor and couldn't go, so has given me his tickets.  It's a rare books fundraiser.  They've brought in "rare" wines, having a catered dinner, and taking us through the rare books section of the university to show us what the monies raised goes towards.  My nerd heart is soaring.  K is going with me.  This is her first big intro to wine, so I hope she has a good time.

Saturday I've got a social media training event and K's roller derby game.  Sunday I'm headed to a wedding.  Somewhere in there I AM cleaning off my desk and getting my kitchen reorganized.  This will happen, people.  My energy levels have been really off.  I think it's a combo of not taking my necessary vitamins (I run low on vit D and iron and have prescribed amounts to take) and not eating right.  I'm working really hard to get back on track.
  • Options

I'm going to the gym tomorrow morning :o and then DH and I are going to a pool party/cookout. Sunday will be church and then nothing. I'm pretty excited about having a nice, relaxing weekend.

@missJeanLouise I'm excited for you guys! What a great adventure you're embarking on together :)

• Options
    @missJeanLouise Congrats!  I think you've said it before, but what country are you going to?

This is me today.  On one hand I'm all "tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya tomorrow" because FI comes home tomorrow (!!!!) and on the other I need to get to stepping in the house because it's a trainwreck.

Last night I went out for drinks/trivia with FFIL, FSMIL and FBIL who just turned 21.  Man I love those guys.  Before trivia started we had a great conversation about white privilege and how frustrating and dangerous Trump is (especially since they live in affluent very white somewhat rural area) and other things.  Not only do I love that they include me in things when FI is gone, but that we can have real conversations and share a value system (not the same with FMIL's family).
  • Options

Tonight we're going to a fundraiser for Son's team.  Tomorrow is more prep for our trip and a trivia night.  Sunday I'll drop the girls with my parents and then come home to pack myself.  We leave Monday morning.

We're renting a van with our friends.  I'm a little nervous about how it's going to go because I'm very take-charge and like to plan routes, stops, etc.  I don't go with the flow very well.  DH keeps reminding me that these people are our friends and they know this about me already and that everything will be fine.

• Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2016
    tawillers said:

We're renting a van with our friends.  I'm a little nervous about how it's going to go because I'm very take-charge and like to plan routes, stops, etc.  I don't go with the flow very well.  DH keeps reminding me that these people are our friends and they know this about me already and that everything will be fine.

I know that feeling.   When we were planning our vacation last year with SIL/BIL and my friends (who have 5 kids), it made me very nervous about everyone getting along and whatnot.  It ended up being just fine, but yeah...I was still a wreck about it all. 
  • Options
    Former co-worker is gone.  Forever.  Okay, that's being a little dramatic, but if/when he returns from his leave of absence, it's practically written in stone that he will never be allowed to return to the field office.

The news has hit me unbelievably hard, and I kinda feel like I did when my best friend moved across the country.  When he left my office, I began to cry.  It is so very rare for me to find a co-worker that I actually click with, not just intellectually but also with the meshing of personalities (I'm the person at the party who tries to join an open conversation and immediately kills it and never understands why), and I just have no idea what's going to happen.

He told me this morning that even though our senior leaders recognize and understand that he is the best fit for me at this particular office, the issue is closed.  Worse, he let slip that not only is the (as-yet unnamed) guy they have in mind difficult to work with, but, more specifically, he doesn't have a great track record when it comes to working with women.  So now, with my past <joyous> grad school experiences working with 
    sexist, misogynistic, men of the you-should-be-barefoot-in-the-kitchen-popping-out-babies-not-here-doing-science-that-you-can't-possibly-understand frame of mind rising to the surface, I'm more than a little panicky.

I'm mad at myself for letting this unverified information cloud my judgement and impact me as strongly as it is, and I know I'm going to make myself sick worrying about things I can't do anything about, and I'm already exhausted with trying to keep an open mind.  But the memories I have of working with awful people are so powerful, and it's going to be just me and him sharing the same office for 4-7 years...  and I know I'm rushing to judgment here, but I can almost feel the panic attacks starting.

This is as close to my dream job as I will ever get (since I refuse to go back into academia), and already I have massive doubts.

...My mind feels like it's been drawn and quartered.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    Former co-worker is gone.  Forever.  Okay, that's being a little dramatic, but if/when he returns from his leave of absence, it's practically written in stone that he will never be allowed to return to the field office.

The news has hit me unbelievably hard, and I kinda feel like I did when my best friend moved across the country.  When he left my office, I began to cry.  It is so very rare for me to find a co-worker that I actually click with, not just intellectually but also with the meshing of personalities (I'm the person at the party who tries to join an open conversation and immediately kills it and never understands why), and I just have no idea what's going to happen.

He told me this morning that even though our senior leaders recognize and understand that he is the best fit for me at this particular office, the issue is closed.  Worse, he let slip that not only is the (as-yet unnamed) guy they have in mind difficult to work with, but, more specifically, he doesn't have a great track record when it comes to working with women.  So now, with my past <joyous> grad school experiences working with sexist, misogynistic, men of the you-should-be-barefoot-in-the-kitchen-popping-out-babies-not-here-doing-science-that-you-can't-possibly-understand frame of mind rising to the surface, I'm more than a little panicky.

I'm mad at myself for letting this unverified information cloud my judgement and impact me as strongly as it is, and I know I'm going to make myself sick worrying about things I can't do anything about, and I'm already exhausted with trying to keep an open mind.  But the memories I have of working with awful people are so powerful, and it's going to be just me and him sharing the same office for 4-7 years...  and I know I'm rushing to judgment here, but I can almost feel the panic attacks starting.

This is as close to my dream job as I will ever get (since I refuse to go back into academia), and already I have massive doubts.

...My mind feels like it's been drawn and quartered.
    Use that energy for empowerment since it doesn't sound like you have to deal with him tomorrow.  Listen to some Rage or Beyonce or whatever music gets you going and think about all of your successes in the face of this bullshit, sexist, boys club world we live in.  Let him think whatever he wants about you, success is the best form of revenge.

But I am sorry your dream boat coworker is gone.  That does suck, especially in jobs where having a partner is so important.
  • Options
    I just found out I qualified for a Pell grant this semester! I only have one class left before I'm done and it's $1800 for the course and $1200 for the book/program!
  • Options
    Made it to Pittsburgh and beat GoogleMaps estimate (H he's very excited about that). We're off in search of food and drinks!
  • Options
    @kimmiinthemitten, I'm planning on taking the advice we usually give distraught brides (cupcake, margarita) and throw a small pity party for myself tonight.  It's not the end of the world, it just sucks hard right now, and maybe after a full night's sleep the world will look rosier.

I'm just sick of the gender fuckery.  FFS, it's 2016.  The Ancient Greeks worshiped a goddess of wisdom.  Precedent!!

I couldn't find a gif of this, but I really feel like this giraffe when he hits Stage Two.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I got all my painting done yesterday so went shopping for odds and ends this am.  I walked into Target alone and out of nowhere there was a horrible thunderstorm.

I can't find a darn shelf.  I want something a little more decorative than a plain white floating shelf, but can't find things 24" wide: Target, 2 Marshalls, JoAnn Fabric, Home Goods, Michael's, Lowe's, World Market, Home Depot, Kohl's, Bed Bath and Beyond, and Meijer were all a bust.  Now I'm impressed I made it through 12 stores this morning.

Tonight DH and I are having dinner at a new steakhouse.  Tomorrow the kids come back and there's a Crew game.  If we're not too tired I think we might hit the art museum.
  • Options
    Can I join in?

@thefanciestbeckler a pool party sounds so fun! I haven't been to a pool party in ages, since very few people in the PNW have pools. Or air conditioning, for that matter. Plus it's cool and raining here, which is SUPER weird for this time of year, but kind of nice.

@6fsn have you tried Amazon for a shelf? I know buying things online can be a little dicey, but if you know the exact dimensions you want, it wouldn't hurt to check online. H bought some shelving on Amazon a while back, and it actually worked out perfectly. Also, maybe Ikea?

Looking forward to the weekend. I get to leave work at 2 today (woot!). Going to go take the pup on a walk, and if it's not still raining, H and I are going to go on a bike ride.

BIL texted H the other day saying he has some new recipes he wants to try out, so apparently he is coming over to make us dinner tonight. All I know is that it involves some sort of smoked meat, "a few sides, and a couple of desserts." Can't complain there.

I have no clue what tomorrow holds, which is awesome. I've been super tired lately, so sleeping in sounds glorious.

Sunday H has to sleep all day, since he works Sunday night graveyard, so I will go to the Humane Society to walk dogs and probably hang out with my mom. We like to go to Goodwill together every couple of weeks.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @6fsn  have you looked at Ikea? 
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    I looked on amazon and was struggling to find anything beyond a floating shelf.  Ikea is so far away!
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    I really like the drawers but I'd like a little more depth. 
  • Options
    That so sucks @AtomicBlonde. My work best friend left and he was a big part of what I liked about the old department and would be lying if that wasn't part of why I looked for a different job. 

I hope things look better after a cupcake/margarita/pity party. Through in a dance party if you need to. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards