Chit Chat
Options

NWR: Home Decor / Decorating trends

Hey Knotties - 

I'm in the middle of decorating our first condo - SO and I are upgrading from the furniture / items we've been toting around through various dorms and apartments and trying to put things together into one cohesive look. It's been fun! We have everything we "need" so we can just upgrade / replace pieces one by one. But we're on a budget and certainly not decor experts so I've been asking the pinterest gods / design blogs for help, also DIYing where I can (which I also think is fun!)

The problem - I don't want my house to look like a farmhouse, and I don't want a gallery wall. Why do those seem to be the only two trendy options? It's just like wedding trends! and SO not my aesthetic. I don't know where to look for inspiration! Any ideas here?

What did you do with your home? How did you come ideas? Any advice for a first time homeowner?

Re: NWR: Home Decor / Decorating trends

• Options
    cgss11cgss11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    I find it's helpful to narrow down your search, because if you're just browsing you're right..it's straight off an episode of Fixer Upper or gallery walls. 

So if you lean more modern, or simple just add that in your search. I had a large clock I wanted to use but wasn't quite sure how, so I just searched large clock living room and got a lot of ideas. I know it sounds like a simple/obvious thing, but it will help! 

If you're not sure of your style, try just browsing modern, Art Deco, traditional, etc and see what you're drawn to the most. That will at least weed out the farm house style. 
  • Options
    I called my friend Erin. Want her number?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    Figure out your style (modern, contemporary, traditional) and search for inspirations within those design styles. Check out Houzz too. 
  • Options
    I've been in my house for three years now and there are still little things I plan to upgrade and/or decorate. Being a new homeowner means always having something you want to do at some point. When we first moved in, everything was pretty bare but was filled up pretty quickly after a few trips to Home Goods and Pier 1. Over the last few years, decor around my house has changed when I see new things in a store or in someone else's home. Sometimes too, you start to really dislike something that you started out with. My husband and I painted the bathroom one color three years ago and decorated it with certain things, and then it was about a year later that we both discovered we hated the color and the decor, and set off to redecorate. I think that probably happens to a lot of people.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    We just bought a house and it's a 100 year old craftsman style so we just found things that fit that era. Is there anything in your condo that lends itself to a particular style or era? It helped us narrow down how to decorate. 
  • Options
    I think you need to figure out your interest or themes- if you really like modern styles and your couches are navy try searching "modern living room blue" or other search terms that contain everything you're looking for.

Also considering searching for inspiration in smaller bits. If you want ideas for throw pillows, look at that specifically and not for living rooms. 

To be honest, I'm one of those farmhouse people, but I find if I'm looking for a specific thing, I'll try longer searches like "oval mirror fireplace" to get ideas to incorporate into my decor.
  • Options
    We have a rancher that sits on 3 acres and decorated it with the farmhouse look. However, I was raised on a farm,  and it's just what we're comfortable with and what makes us feel at home. We have a lot of furniture and decor pieces from my great-grandparents' farm in Missouri that was willed to us, but we have some Ashley couches, coffee table and end tables that I bought when I was moving into my own apartment.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I think you are smart to buy pieces over a period of time. Sometimes, it might be best to start with smaller/less expensive pieces to start figuring out what style(s) you like and look good in yoru home.

Once you nail down style(s) then you can get bigger pieces like couches.

I did see a lovely idea for a photo display that was actually a few chair rails spaced out on a larger wall. Then you can just rest the pictures on the chair rail and switch them out when you want.

• Options
    ernursej said:

I think you are smart to buy pieces over a period of time. Sometimes, it might be best to start with smaller/less expensive pieces to start figuring out what style(s) you like and look good in yoru home.

I did see a lovely idea for a photo display that was actually a few chair rails spaced out on a larger wall. Then you can just rest the pictures on the chair rail and switch them out when you want.

@ernursej

Do you have a link? that sounds great!

To those who are doing a farmhouse look, that sounds lovely, but is SO not me. i've never even been to a farm!
  • Options
    I'm having similar issue. Try to find some common ground - like colours - and that'll help give more idea on larger picture. Find base pieces first, if you're getting a couch do that first. Key/base items will help the rest!
  • Options
    ernursej said:

@ernursej

Do you have a link? that sounds great!

To those who are doing a farmhouse look, that sounds lovely, but is SO not me. i've never even been to a farm!

Look on pinterest or google for "chair rail picture ledge"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards