Wedding Party

Closed

edited July 2016 in Wedding Party

I've had enough.  Just because I want the ones I love to be involved in my wedding does not make me a horrible person.  You people need to learn how to state your opinions in a kinder way or move over to the snarky brides forum.

Thank you to those that don't fall into this category and stated their opinions in ways that didn't bring me to tears.

Re: Closed

• I appreciate your point of view.  I know these kids incredibly well and like I said, it would be a short reading appropriate to their age.  Most likely a Bible verse that they know well, and they would be reading it up there together, not a progression of multiple kids coming up to read.  It would be something tame like the classic "Love is patient" verse that kids learn from a young age, they aren't up there giving advice.

It is my wedding and incorporating my loved ones is what is going to make me happy.  This isn't a "my FSIL feels like she should be included so help me find a place for her" or anything like that.  This is a "I really love these people and want them to play a major role in the biggest day of my life". 

• Have you talked to the parents? 

I've talked to them about if the oldest two would be comfortable with doing a reading (which they are on board with), but I haven't asked about the flower girl yet until I can come up with something for the youngest to do (or decide not to involve him).
  • edited July 2016
    My thoughts:

1) leave the three year old out. I doubt he will care. I could see a girl caring more because she would otherwise be having a bit of a princess moment as a fg but I can't see a little boy caring. 

2) or have the three year old as a second ring bearer and have him walk down the aisle at the same time as his sister and your nephew. This is really not going to take away at all from your nephew. 

3) having the two older ones give a reading doesn't seem like a great idea to me. Due to their age and (assumed) reading ability, giving a reading at a wedding seems out of place and I'm picturing a lot of stuttering and reading problems due to stage fright. It just seems like a bizarre opportunity for a photo op during the ceremony. If you need an alternative, maybe they could say a quick word of congratulations as a toast during the reception? "Congratulations knottie#! You are the best babysitter ever and we are happy for you!" during speeches seems much more age appropriate. 

ETA: I know a lot of 7 and 8 year olds who are decent readers and still don't think this is a good idea for the ceremony. 
  • Ok, so I know I have asked this question before, but it was terribly worded (what I get for posting on 2 hours of sleep when I'm cranky), but here it goes again...

Our nephew will be a year old at our wedding and we are having him as our ring bearer.  I know that he won't remember, but it is very special for us to be able to include him officially in our wedding party.  He's a very laid back kid so far and if he gets fussy the day of, then we won't force him to participate. We are putting the rings in a locked wooden box that the best man will have the key to open, so no choking hazard.  We plan on having him pulled in a wagon that was made with a seat belt.  He will be in it for all of a minute, and it is 100% guaranteed safe.  It is a wagon that has been used multiple times for this exact purpose without one issue.  That is settled.

I'm going to say this as a former bride who had 4 children in her wedding party, the youngest of which was 2:

I would not have anyone in your WP that can't walk down the aisle on their own 2 feet.  DO NOT pull children in wagons!  Many venues will NOT allow that due to liability issues.  I would also use "dummy rings" on the ring bearer's pillow and have your BM have the actual rings the entire time.

Just dress your nephew up, get him a really cute suit and boy tie, and take pictures with him after the ceremony.

Now we want a 5 year old girl of a good friend to be the flower girl.  I love this girl with all of my heart and genuinely want her in my wedding.  We are going to try to make see if she can pull the wagon.  Obviously if she can't, we will find someone else to or if we have any concerns about her pulling too fast, same deal.  We will stick the equivalent weight of the nephew in the wagon for test runs, obviously not actually him. 

DO NOT have a child pulling another child in a wagon.  Again, for liability issues most venues won't even allow this.

The problem arises that the 5 year old has three siblings that I am also close to.  I would love to incorporate them somehow into the wedding, but we have a small wedding party so having all of them as flower girls/ring bearers would be chaos.  We are hoping to have the 7 and 8 year old do a short reading during the ceremony (they are very outgoing kids and thrive in the spotlight).  We just don't know what to do with the 3 year old.  Of all of the kids, I'm the least close to him because the past 2 years I haven't spent as much time with this family because I've had a few crazy years at school.  So I don't really want to make him another ring bearer, but I'm not sure if it is not ok to not include him with having his 3 siblings involved...I know he won't personally care, but I'm more concerned about the parents reaction.

Why are you hung up on this concept of a small wedding party if you have all these people you want to include in your wedding party anyways?

If you want to include all of these kids, then have them all serve as FGs and RBs, minus anyone who can't actually physically walk yet.  Again, I had 4 kids in my WP.

Any ideas to help? Please don't lecture me on the safety issues of a wagon.  I love my nephew and I assure you that I have researched this thoroughly to make sure that he is completely safe. 

Please don't attempt to tell me what I can and cannot comment on in a public forum.  You opened the door to feedback by posting in the 1st place.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2016

Ok, so I know I have asked this question before, but it was terribly worded (what I get for posting on 2 hours of sleep when I'm cranky), but here it goes again...

Our nephew will be a year old at our wedding and we are having him as our ring bearer.  I know that he won't remember, but it is very special for us to be able to include him officially in our wedding party.  He's a very laid back kid so far and if he gets fussy the day of, then we won't force him to participate. We are putting the rings in a locked wooden box that the best man will have the key to open, so no choking hazard.  We plan on having him pulled in a wagon that was made with a seat belt.  He will be in it for all of a minute, and it is 100% guaranteed safe.  It is a wagon that has been used multiple times for this exact purpose without one issue.  That is settled.

Now we want a 5 year old girl of a good friend to be the flower girl.  I love this girl with all of my heart and genuinely want her in my wedding.  We are going to try to make see if she can pull the wagon.  Obviously if she can't, we will find someone else to or if we have any concerns about her pulling too fast, same deal.  We will stick the equivalent weight of the nephew in the wagon for test runs, obviously not actually him. 

The problem arises that the 5 year old has three siblings that I am also close to.  I would love to incorporate them somehow into the wedding, but we have a small wedding party so having all of them as flower girls/ring bearers would be chaos.  We are hoping to have the 7 and 8 year old do a short reading during the ceremony (they are very outgoing kids and thrive in the spotlight).  We just don't know what to do with the 3 year old.  Of all of the kids, I'm the least close to him because the past 2 years I haven't spent as much time with this family because I've had a few crazy years at school.  So I don't really want to make him another ring bearer, but I'm not sure if it is not ok to not include him with having his 3 siblings involved...I know he won't personally care, but I'm more concerned about the parents reaction.

Any ideas to help? Please don't lecture me on the safety issues of a wagon.  I love my nephew and I assure you that I have researched this thoroughly to make sure that he is completely safe. 

As a former child performer who was often put on display, I beg you to forget about this.  Children are not props/actors for your wedding ceremony.

Your text screams "We want!  I want!  I feel!"  This is not about you.  This is about the children.  I think you are being very selfish.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

• I just don't think it's age-appropriate for elementary schoolers to be giving marital advice to adults on their wedding day.  When it is obvious that someone is just parroting something they can't really understand, as would be the case here, it feels like making a mockery of the sentiments.  That doesn't sit right with me, and I bet many/most of your guests will feel the same way.
    This. I would just find it SUPER weird that little kids were doing a reading at a wedding... It would seem very out of place.  Kids doing readings are for Christmas pageants and school plays, not weddings.

Honestly, OP, if I were you I would just scrap ALL of the kids' roles. Dress your nephew up in a cute little suit, have him sit in the front row with family. If you really want some attention on him, have a grandparent carry him in before the bridal party processes. 

It really seems like you're trying way too hard to fit these kids into your wedding vision... 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • If I went to a wedding where two young children were doing a reading I would being rolling my eyes the entire time!  At the reception and probably for years to come I would more than likely end up re-telling the story because how could I not tell everyone about that wedding where a Bride had a young child do a reading and a baby in a wagon and...omg props!!!!!!!

If you already brought up the idea of readers to mom, it might be difficult to take it back, but I think that a quick toast (as a pp mentioned) would be more appropriate.  I also will NEVER agree with the wagon thing...you say it is 100% safe but guess what, NOTHING on this planet will ever be 100% safe!!  There is always a chance for accidents.  Does your venue allow this??  You said you asked about the 8 and 9 y/o did you even ask the moms permission to do this yet??  She might not want her child in a wagon at all and then all this stress and butthurt will be for nothing.

Look, I think less is more when it comes to the wedding.  I am not a fan of large Wedding Parties that include a bunch of children.  Are they wrong? no, but they just seem excessive to me...and I doubt I am the only person in the World that feels this way. 

I think you are putting vision ahead of practicality.  I say you just have some nice photos with everyone and call it a day.  Have the 8 and 9 y/o walk down the aisle instead of doing a reading (since you already asked them to be involved) and leave the 3 and 1 y/o out of this.  Remember If they are involved they will be at the rehearsal and then need to be invited to the rehearsal dinner, and you should be getting them a nice gift too!

Of course you could just ignore all the fantastic advice and concerns of everyone here and just do whatever you want.  At the end of the day I don't GAF what you do for your wedding! Its the friends and family that are invited that you have to interact with from here on out that we are trying to represent.

• I want to be clear that my "hell no" has nothing to do with reading ability or potential stage fright.  At that age I was all about public speaking and being on stage.  You can be damn sure I would have had my lines memorized and wouldn't stumble or clam up.  

I just don't think it's age-appropriate for elementary schoolers to be giving marital advice to adults on their wedding day.  When it is obvious that someone is just parroting something they can't really understand, as would be the case here, it feels like making a mockery of the sentiments.  That doesn't sit right with me, and I bet many/most of your guests will feel the same way.
    I agree about all the other stuff, but all readings at a wedding don't necessarily give marital advice. I think OP mentioned they are having a church wedding and will be having Bible verses read. I don't think it is unreasonable that mature, good readers that are 8 or nine can read Scripture. 
  • I don't understand the need to invent roles to include them all. Being a guest is a major role in itself. 

However, in my dreams, I cast children with guest spots in Electric Mayhem

Omg the obstinacy of this OP brought the Overlord out of retirement!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I don't understand the need to invent roles to include them all. Being a guest is a major role in itself. 

However, in my dreams, I cast children with guest spots in Electric Mayhem

@MuppetOverlord! Where you been! Missed you big-time!
  • @CMGragain

Girl, you can't drop a "childhood performer" tidbit and not explain!
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• OK, now the OP has started a whole new thread, hoping to get different answers.  Sheesh!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards