Attire & Accessories Forum

Spanx Under Your Dress, Yay or Nay??

So I've spoken with a few friends who LOVE and swear by Spanx. One said she was fine in her Spanx on her wedding day and the other friend she was very very uncomfortable. So I wanted to see what all of you thought!!! I realize everyone is different and what is comfy to some, might not be comfy to others.

I've never worn Spanx and thought about purchasing a pair for my wedding day (I need to hide some panty lines and I just want to smooth over my midsection). My wedding is in the beginning of October in Missouri (the weather is unpredictable here. We can wear flip flops one day and Uggs the next day).

Did you wear Spanx on your wedding day??? Were you comfortable or not?? Would you recommend them?? Anything you can tell me about your experience would be helpful! Thanks!

Re: Spanx Under Your Dress, Yay or Nay??

• If you need to hide panty lines and bumps, go with Spanx.
  • It'll really depend on your dress. I've worn them before, but chose not to at my wedding because they wouldn't have made much of a difference with my dress. If you're trying to hide lines & smooth your midsection, it sounds like Spanx would be perfect for you. They kind of smooth everything out and suck you in a little. Buy some and wear them around at some point before the wedding and see if you can tolerate them for your wedding day. They're not the most comfortable things on earth, but they're also not unbearable, and I think the benefit outweighs the slight discomfort!
    --

• I had a very fitted dress so I wore spanx to smooth everything out. But I'm used to wear them with most dress so they don't bother me. If you're not used to them I'd buy some and wear them around or out one night to see if you like them. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    How structured is your dress?  Mine had a corset sewn in, so there was no need for Spanx (or even a bra).  I'd definitely bring spanx and whatever undergarments you plan to wear on your wedding day to your first fitting, so that the seamstress can let you know what works/you'll get a feel for what's necessary.
  • I did not wear spanx on my wedding day because my dress didn't need them.  I do however tend to wear them with all my other dresses and find them to be a slight pain when it comes to using the bathroom, but worth it as they do a lot to smooth out the lumps and bumps.
  • I wear spanx with dresses to events often. I have a few different kinds and finding the right type of spanx to go with a dress is the key to being comfortable and it looking good.

If you are just wanting to smooth out underwear lines and a little light control I recently got a really great pair of underwear from Nordstrom called "Yummie" By Heather Thompson "Nici" Shaping Briefs. They are amazing. No panty lines and they have a breathable control top. SO soft. and the best part is they are $13 bucks right now with the Anniversary sale, but they are only $18 regularly.

I wore a pair to my bridal shower a few weeks ago with a white lace dress and they weren't visible. Also, it was 95 degrees that day and a little humid and I still felt super comfortable.
  • dyerwise said:
    I wear spanx with dresses to events often. I have a few different kinds and finding the right type of spanx to go with a dress is the key to being comfortable and it looking good.

If you are just wanting to smooth out underwear lines and a little light control I recently got a really great pair of underwear from Nordstrom called "Yummie" By Heather Thompson "Nici" Shaping Briefs. They are amazing. No panty lines and they have a breathable control top. SO soft. and the best part is they are $13 bucks right now with the Anniversary sale, but they are only $18 regularly.

I wore a pair to my bridal shower a few weeks ago with a white lace dress and they weren't visible. Also, it was 95 degrees that day and a little humid and I still felt super comfortable.
    I may need to see if they have those in my size! They sound great!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards