Wedding Party

Flower Girl Age

I know there's no definite answer to this question, but in your opinion, how old is TOO old to be a flower girl? 

Re: Flower Girl Age

• I'd ask any girl older than about 8 to be a bridesmaid.
  • I think grade school and under.  My 10 year old niece was a flower girl and loved it. 
  • Depends on the kid, but I probably wouldn't ask anyone 12+ to be a flower girl.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    10 is as old as I've seen, but each child is different.  For tweens (9-12) I'd ask the child in question if she'd prefer flower girl or bridesmaid.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2016
    I would agree with "grade school" age.

I was a bridesmaid at 8 in my aunts wedding. But I would have been fine being a flower girl as well. I don't think I would have known/understood the difference.

However, getting into 11,12, 13... I think the child would think/ feel differently.

• I agree - a lot can really depend on the kid.  With DD at 11, she'd still love to do the FG thing (not likely a possibility) but in another year, I'd highly doubt it, not to mention finding FG dresses gets significantly more difficult above a size 12 - just saying.. 
  • IMO, 3-12 y/o or so. Under 3 is too young to understand the job and over 12 gets into bridesmaid territory.

I went to a wedding where there was a 25 year old flower girl and I cringed a little bit. It just screamed "you're not good enough to be a BM, so here's a consolation prize...and a child's role at that." Nope. Just nope.

*********************************************************************************

• I think it depends on the girl you're asking. There are young 13yr olds and old 8yr olds.

Generally I would say no older than 10 personally
  • No set age at all!:)

There are 2 grandmas who were flower girls!:) The story was everywhere on FB about 3 weeks ago.

A flower girl is a flower girl, whether she is 7 or 70!:) 
  • No set age at all!:)

There are 2 grandmas who were flower girls!:) The story was everywhere on FB about 3 weeks ago.

A flower girl is a flower girl, whether she is 7 or 70!:) 
    No.  Jesus be some respect, people.  Don't treat grown adults like little children just because you think it's cute or funny.  It is not.
  • We had an 11 year old.  She didn't throw petals though, she just had an ivory dress and a wrist corsage instead of a bouquet.  All her choice.  I don't think it matters about the age as long as they are not a grown adult.  
  • Our "flower girl" was also 11, but she also didn't throw pedals or wear a "traditional" flower girl dress. She carried a mini bridesmaid bouquet, and we told her to pick out any dress either the same color as the bridesmaids or in our accent color. She did walk down the isle with our 4 year old ring bearer, and she loved it :) we really didn't necessarily call her a "flower girl", she was just part of the wedding party.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards