Wedding Etiquette Forum

Registering but don't really need gifts

My fiance and I have done a very small registry on amazon.com for those who really want to get us a gift. However we don't really need anything and just prefer to see our families.

I know not to talk about gifts on the formal invitation but I was just going to put something on our website like:
"While your presence at our wedding is the only gift we ask for, we have registered for a few things just in case."

Is that rude? Of course gifts are always appreciated!

Re: Registering but don't really need gifts

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    My fiance and I have done a very small registry on amazon.com for those who really want to get us a gift. However we don't really need anything and just prefer to see our families.

I know not to talk about gifts on the formal invitation but I was just going to put something on our website like:
    "While your presence at our wedding is the only gift we ask for, we have registered for a few things just in case."

Yes, of course they are.  And your guests know this. If you really want your registry link of your website, just have it there without your suggested text. But really, word of mouth is the best way to spread the news about your registry (whatever its size). 
  • If you're going to have anything about gifts on your website, it should just be a link to the registry without any further comment. 
  • Yes, mentioning gifts in any context is against etiquette. The reason is because mentioning gifts in any way (even to say "don't") is considered the same as presuming you would receive them (which is considered rude). Just traditional etiquette.

Totally fine to just have a small registry. Spread the word via word of mouth - when people ask you (they will) "there's nothing on your registry" or "where are you registered" you can say "oh we don't need anything right now - we are saving up money for XYZ." People get it.

Also, if you don't register for physical gifts (or enough gifts), a wedding shower is out as wedding showers are for physical presents. It's extremely tacky to have a cash or gift card shower.

*********************************************************************************

• we had a very small registry because friends really wanted to throw a shower and mentioned a gift card shower which I said no. So we picked some fun things that would be nice to have. I'd say about 1/2 the people at the shower got something from the registry and the other 1/2 did a gift card or something else entirely.

Nothing was said about a registry for the actual wedding and we received 1 gift, that was it, everything else was cash or gift card. People figure it out. 
  • The people who really care about getting you a physical gift from a registry will find it or ask you.  We weren't super keen on a registry, but so many guests asked us about one that we made it.  We just put the links on our website.
  • My fiance and I have done a very small registry on amazon.com for those who really want to get us a gift. However we don't really need anything and just prefer to see our families.

Yes. Whether or not anyone gives you gifts, and their nature, are their decisions to make - not yours. Any message in an invitation or on a website that you want or don't want any type of gift, without being directly asked first, is an attempt to pre-empt those decisions. It's rude.

It also won't make a difference, because if people want to give you something that's not on your registry, they'll do so regardless of whether or not you put any kind of message about it on your website.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards