Vow Renewals

After 16 years of marriage, I finally get to have a wedding!

Hello everyone! My husband and I have been together for almost 19 years, being married for 16. He asked me to marry him New Years Day 2000. He husband obviously became impatient and couldn't wait to marry me (☺️), because we eloped on Valentine's Day that year. We had a small chapel wedding, with only two witnesses present. Myself personally, I wanted to have a wedding, with all of our friends and family present to celebrate with us. 
Fast forward to mid-July 2016.  I told my husband how much I was still in love with him. I asked if he would love to have a wedding, the one we never had but I've always wanted. He agreed, as he wanted to do this as well! We chose a date in the spring of 2017, as we wanted an outdoor ceremony.
Being that this is a vow renewal, should we do the whole "wedding day" thing or keep it simple? Should we have a bridal party, groomsmen, etc?

Thanks in advance!
Cynthia

Re: After 16 years of marriage, I finally get to have a wedding!

• Hello everyone! My husband and I have been together for almost 19 years, being married for 16. He asked me to marry him New Years Day 2000. He husband obviously became impatient and couldn't wait to marry me (☺️), because we eloped on Valentine's Day that year. We had a small chapel wedding, with only two witnesses present. Myself personally, I wanted to have a wedding, with all of our friends and family present to celebrate with us. 
    Fast forward to mid-July 2016.  I told my husband how much I was still in love with him. I asked if he would love to have a wedding, the one we never had but I've always wanted. He agreed, as he wanted to do this as well! We chose a date in the spring of 2017, as we wanted an outdoor ceremony.
    Being that this is a vow renewal, should we do the whole "wedding day" thing or keep it simple? Should we have a bridal party, groomsmen, etc?

Thanks in advance!
    Cynthia
    JIC
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016
    Hello everyone! My husband and I have been together for almost 19 years, being married for 16. He asked me to marry him New Years Day 2000. He husband obviously became impatient and couldn't wait to marry me (☺️), because we eloped on Valentine's Day that year. We had a small chapel wedding, with only two witnesses present. Myself personally, I wanted to have a wedding, with all of our friends and family present to celebrate with us. 

Thanks in advance!
    Cynthia
    I am sorry, but it is impossible for you to have a wedding when you are already married.  That ship sailed many years ago.
    You can have a vow renewal if you wish, but this is not a second wedding.  You can have a great party with food, drinks, dancing, etc.  The rules on vow renewals are a bit different from weddings, though.
    1.  Do not wear a "wedding dress", since you are not a bride, but a happily married woman.  Do find a wonderful dress that makes you feel special.  Check out bridesmaid dresses.  Many are sophisticated and beautiful.  No veil, please.
    2.  Vow renewals do not have bridesmaids or groomsmen.  If you have children, you can have them stand up with you when you renew your vows.  Since you are already married, you walk down the aisle (if there is one) with your husband.
    3.  Since nothing legal is taking place (like at a wedding), you do not need an officiant, but a pastor may give a blessing.
    4.  Gifts are not expected at vow renewals.  Do not register for gifts.
    5.  No pre-parties like showers or bachelorettes.
    6.  Go ahead and have a spotlight dance between you and your husband!  It won't be your "first dance", but it can be very special.
    7.  You can have a wonderful celebration with all your family and friends to wish you well.  Vow renewals can be very special events.

Here is an excellent website to explain some of the things I have listed here.  I hope you have a very special day to celebrate your marriage. 

http://www.idotaketwo.com/blog/vow-renewal-etiquette-2/

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards