Chit Chat

Birth Control

2»

Re: Birth Control

• OP, I'm currently in pharmacy school and work in a pharmacy. I dispensed Lutera for someone today, and we last placed an order for it about 2 weeks ago... As far as I can tell it hasn't been discontinued. I would contact your pharmacy again, it's possible it was just on back order, or that generic interchange is required in your state (meaning your prescriber would have to write that the brand Lutera is medically necessary on the prescription).  
  • I think I've praised Mirena to the high heavens here before, although I truly respect others' experiences have not been as sunny as my own. Body chemistry is so unique and interesting. As far as cost, I didn't have to pay for my IUD but had to pay the copay for the "consultation" part, which was basically me talking to the nurse practitioner at PP for 2-3 minutes before inserting the device, lol. I don't get a period with Mirena but I have PCOS so I didn't really get normal periods before it, either. I want H to get a vasectomy eventually (I am one of the surprisingly numerous childfree knotties!) but I'll probably use a hormonal IUD indefinitely as I receive a number of health benefits from having it, related to PCOS (mostly reduction of cancer risk).

One thing I have always found interesting is that I have never been able to reliably track my cycle since I was dx with PCOS at age 16, so a lot of the sort of innate knowledge many women seem to have about their cycle, when they're ovulating and PMSing and emotional patterns, etc. are things I have never experienced. (I don't need PMS to make me want to eat a bunch of chocolate and ice cream, anyway, haha.) And I have a high-anxiety personality type along with an anxiety disorder... so I really have never been able to say whether the hormones in the IUD have affected me, either physically or mentally. I find it fascinating and am a little jealous that so many women can point to their birth control as having X, Y, or Z effect.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• OP, I'm currently in pharmacy school and work in a pharmacy. I dispensed Lutera for someone today, and we last placed an order for it about 2 weeks ago... As far as I can tell it hasn't been discontinued. I would contact your pharmacy again, it's possible it was just on back order, or that generic interchange is required in your state (meaning your prescriber would have to write that the brand Lutera is medically necessary on the prescription).  
    What!! This is great news!

Does it come in the green packaging and look like this?

• dyerwise said:

OP, I'm currently in pharmacy school and work in a pharmacy. I dispensed Lutera for someone today, and we last placed an order for it about 2 weeks ago... As far as I can tell it hasn't been discontinued. I would contact your pharmacy again, it's possible it was just on back order, or that generic interchange is required in your state (meaning your prescriber would have to write that the brand Lutera is medically necessary on the prescription).  
    What!! This is great news!

Does it come in the green packaging and look like this?

Yup!
  • I think I've praised Mirena to the high heavens here before, although I truly respect others' experiences have not been as sunny as my own. Body chemistry is so unique and interesting. As far as cost, I didn't have to pay for my IUD but had to pay the copay for the "consultation" part, which was basically me talking to the nurse practitioner at PP for 2-3 minutes before inserting the device, lol. I don't get a period with Mirena but I have PCOS so I didn't really get normal periods before it, either. I want H to get a vasectomy eventually (I am one of the surprisingly numerous childfree knotties!) but I'll probably use a hormonal IUD indefinitely as I receive a number of health benefits from having it, related to PCOS (mostly reduction of cancer risk).

One thing I have always found interesting is that I have never been able to reliably track my cycle since I was dx with PCOS at age 16, so a lot of the sort of innate knowledge many women seem to have about their cycle, when they're ovulating and PMSing and emotional patterns, etc. are things I have never experienced. (I don't need PMS to make me want to eat a bunch of chocolate and ice cream, anyway, haha.) And I have a high-anxiety personality type along with an anxiety disorder... so I really have never been able to say whether the hormones in the IUD have affected me, either physically or mentally. I find it fascinating and am a little jealous that so many women can point to their birth control as having X, Y, or Z effect.
    I was really excited about Mirena at first because both of my older sisters had it and LOVED it. 

When the side effects first started happening I thought it might be something else but quickly narrowed it down to the IUD and once it was removed I felt 100% better.

I only know a handful of people that had bad reactions but know SO many who love it.
  • I am so sorry you have had so many problems! I can't weigh in on options as I have had a Mirena IUD for 7.5yrs now (switched it out for a new one at the 5 yr mark) and I love it! I haven't had a period most of the time I have been on it and while it hurts like H*** to get it put in it costs me $6 for the 5 years of awesomeness. I hope you find something that works for you, that is great news that they are still making the one pill that your body reacted well to!

We are also in the same place with kids/no kids. I am totally content with  my life when I'm home, have free time, or like you said when you get home from a long day and walk the dog just thinking "holy heck, what if this was a kid!?". But then I visit with the nephews or friends with kids and get all "awe, I could do this".

Wedding Countdown Ticker

I too have PCOS and my periods were almost non-existent.  Have you ever had a 3 hour glucose test?  I would recommend one for you.  I turned out to have an insulin resistance (and was pre-diabetic) related to my PCOS.  After my doctor looked at my glucose results (we were TTC and it was my fertility dr), he first asked me if I craved sweets frequently.  That is one of the symptoms of people with insulin resistance.  When their blood sugar crashes, they wants sweets to get the sugars back up to feel "normal". 

I worked with a nutritionist to change my diet from 3 meals a day to 6.  That alone caused me to start having 40ish day cycles on my own after eating that way for 1 month.  I have also lost 24 pounds since December and am now 10 weeks PG which was done the old fashioned way with no medications.  My insulin resistance is also gone in addition to my pre-diabetic diagnosis and it was all due to changing my diet.  I was also temporarily taking Metformin to give my pancreas a break and rejuvenate, which I no longer take since my insulin resistance has been "cured".  I can still eat what I want, I just portion control.  I still eat carbs and sugar when I want.  I will need to eat this way for the rest of my life though, so its not just for TTC but for the remainder of my life because otherwise my insulin resistance could come back.

I know you've stated before that you've been trying to diet and nothing usually works.  I didn't realize you also had PCOS.  I would ask your dr to have the 3 hour glucose test performed to see what comes of it.  If you are insulin resistant, you body will hold onto every calorie you consume no matter how much you exercise and eat "right".

Sorry for highjacking the BC thread!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards