Wedding Reception Forum

Does food matter in wedding theme?

2»

Re: Does food matter in wedding theme?

• Quoting part of @PrettyGirlLost
    "Not really, semantics actually do matter.  Words have actual meaning that isn't up for interpretation, and adults should use the correct damn terms, especially if they  know better.

There's a huge difference between a restaurant offering a variety of Japanese cuisine, not just sushi, and adults incorrectly using the term sushi to be a catchall term for all Asian cuisine ><"
    (Wanted to avoid giant quote tree)

Very true that words have meaning, but often times meanings of word is open to interpretation based on regional variations/meanings/etc. Just look at the difference between American English and British English. It's important to use correctly but also know how other people use those words to avoid confusion or misinterpretation. Definitions of words matter. 

As for using the term "sushi" as a catch all for all Japanese food....if other people do it, then you should be aware of that if you are going to truly only serve sushi in case people misunderstand what is available.

I was curious because of this thread why my friends and I use it to refer to everything....then we went out for Japanese the other night and checked out the menus for about four different Japanese places nearby. Every single one of those places had the word "sushi" in their name and every single one served many more Japanese options in addition to just sushi. And based on memories, I think most Japanese restaurants places I've been to in Vancouver do the same thing. So if that many restaurants misuse the word themselves in a multi cultural city, it likely is misused by many other people. Right or wrong, it means that if someone uses a word, you should first determine if you both have the same definition.  
  • Ironring said:
    Quoting part of @PrettyGirlLost
    "Not really, semantics actually do matter.  Words have actual meaning that isn't up for interpretation, and adults should use the correct damn terms, especially if they  know better.

There's a huge difference between a restaurant offering a variety of Japanese cuisine, not just sushi, and adults incorrectly using the term sushi to be a catchall term for all Asian cuisine ><"

Very true that words have meaning, but often times meanings of word is open to interpretation based on regional variations/meanings/etc. Just look at the difference between American English and British English. It's important to use correctly but also know how other people use those words to avoid confusion or misinterpretation. Definitions of words matter. 

As for using the term "sushi" as a catch all for all Japanese food....if other people do it, then you should be aware of that if you are going to truly only serve sushi in case people misunderstand what is available.

I was curious because of this thread why my friends and I use it to refer to everything....then we went out for Japanese the other night and checked out the menus for about four different Japanese places nearby. Every single one of those places had the word "sushi" in their name and every single one served many more Japanese options in addition to just sushi. And based on memories, I think most Japanese restaurants places I've been to in Vancouver do the same thing. So if that many restaurants misuse the word themselves in a multi cultural city, it likely is misused by many other people. Right or wrong, it means that if someone uses a word, you should first determine if you both have the same definition.  
    I agree with the bolded, 100%

On a philosophical level and bc I have a case of the Mondays and I'd prefer not to do actual work, I don't think that a Japanese style restaurant offering more than sushi, even if they have sushi in their name, is them misusing the term.  From a business standpoint it makes sense that you'd offer a broad range of entrees in order to appeal to a broad clientele and maximize earnings.  Don't chop houses offer vegetarian options?

The restaurant offering other entree choices, or a friend who tags along and orders noodles while you are eating hand rolls doesn't change the definition of the word sushi.

I also think there's a difference between local colloquialisms and using words incorrectly.  For instance, in the US what one calls a specific type of sandwich can vary by region from hoagie to sub, to wedge, to hero, or grinder; Those are all different terms to describe the same type of sandwich.   However sushi is a very specific term with a very specific meaning, it's not up for interpretation.  If people are misusing the term, be it a single social circle or an entire region, those people are incorrectly using a term.  Entire generations misuse the word ignorant regularly ><

I'm trying to think of a word that has one meaning in the US and another in the UK and I can't come up with anything; I can think of different words used to describe the same thing- like queue in the UK and line in the US, pram in the UK and stroller in the US. . .

Give me an example!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Ironring said:

On a philosophical level and bc I have a case of the Mondays and I'd prefer not to do actual work, I don't think that a Japanese style restaurant offering more than sushi, even if they have sushi in their name, is them misusing the term.  From a business standpoint it makes sense that you'd offer a broad range of entrees in order to appeal to a broad clientele and maximize earnings.  Don't chop houses offer vegetarian options?

The restaurant offering other entree choices, or a friend who tags along and orders noodles while you are eating hand rolls doesn't change the definition of the word sushi.

I also think there's a difference between local colloquialisms and using words incorrectly.  For instance, in the US what one calls a specific type of sandwich can vary by region from hoagie to sub, to wedge, to hero, or grinder; Those are all different terms to describe the same type of sandwich.   However sushi is a very specific term with a very specific meaning, it's not up for interpretation.  If people are misusing the term, be it a single social circle or an entire region, those people are incorrectly using a term.  Entire generations misuse the word ignorant regularly ><

I'm trying to think of a word that has one meaning in the US and another in the UK and I can't come up with anything; I can think of different words used to describe the same thing- like queue in the UK and line in the US, pram in the UK and stroller in the US. . .

Give me an example!

Boot in the US vs. Boot in the UK. Lift in US vs. lift in UK. I took this as a game. I'm not getting into the argument.

• I agree with the bolded, 100%

Give me an example!

To the first bolded, completely true. But if you know that people have a different idea of what that word means, it's nice to take that into consideration when planning events....especially if this is a largely misused word and many people might think something different from the actual meaning.

To the second bolded, thank you for the perfect example of irony, lol. Made my day. 

To the third some examples (won't lie, had fun looking these up).....pants, fag, chips, rubber, biscuit, shag, dummy, bonnet, football.....
  • Ironring said:

Give me an example!

Boot in the US vs. Boot in the UK. Lift in US vs. lift in UK. I took this as a game. I'm not getting into the argument.
    Cot!  (Found that one out during a Biblical Greek class in London while translating the Gospel of Mark)

• Boot in the US vs. Boot in the UK. Lift in US vs. lift in UK. I took this as a game. I'm not getting into the argument.
    I'm quite sorry if anyone actually took it that way. I thought we were just having a friendly conversation. 

Good examples!
  • Ironring said:

Give me an example!

Yes definitely, I was curious!

What is boot in the UK?

Lift as in elevator?  I know ppl in the US who use that term. . .but I think they have Australian relatives.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Oh I forgot biscuit and football. . .probably bc Im not a fan of either American or soccer lol.

Shag. . .unless it's part of the phrase shag carpet don't they mean the same thing in both places?

• Ironring said:

Give me an example!

What is boot in the UK?

Lift as in elevator?  I know ppl in the US who use that term. . .but I think they have Australian relatives.
    A boot in the UK is the trunk of a car. Yes, lift as in elevator. Interesting that you know US ppl that use that term. I have never heard it other than from UK. @ironring, no need for apologies. Some comments can get misconstrued! To keep listing - I learned from another post on TK that fanny doesn't mean the same thing either!
  • Did we mention flat for apartment?  

• buggy for grocery store cart

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    buggy for grocery store cart
    I say buggy in British Columbia. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    Our Mississippi-born former housemate calls it a buggy.

In college, I had a roommate from Massachusetts who called the water fountain a "bubbler."
  • lyndausvi said:

In college, I had a roommate from Massachusetts who called the water fountain a "bubbler."
    I thought that was a Wisconsin thing!

I use a very different kind of bubbler. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • lyndausvi said:

And what's that? I don't think I'd have any idea what someone meant if they said "bubbler". I guess water fountain makes sense but I would have never guessed that. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Ironring said:
    lyndausvi said:

And what's that? I don't think I'd have any idea what someone meant if they said "bubbler". I guess water fountain makes sense but I would have never guessed that. 
    I'm going with the bubbler that's not really a bong, but not really a pipe...marijuana related...unless @ShesSoCold was referring to something else.  :D
  • lyndausvi said:
    Some ppl say buggy here in SW PA too.

Give me an example!

What is boot in the UK?

A boot in the UK is the trunk of a car. Yes, lift as in elevator. Interesting that you know US ppl that use that term. I have never heard it other than from UK. @ironring, no need for apologies. Some comments can get misconstrued! To keep listing - I learned from another post on TK that fanny doesn't mean the same thing either!
    Some are American friends with relatives from/living in the UK or Australia or whom have emigrated to the US from those areas, and some are family members.

I never call my mom "mom". . . she's my Mum.  So she cooks with herbs (pronouncing the h) and a-lum-IN-ium foil, and sometimes she's just gobsmacked with shit that goes on around her.

As far as colorful terms and phrases go, this guy killed me:
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8e4_1426753588&wpmm=1&wpisrc=nl_daily202

I can't tell if this was a real commentator or someone just taking a piss.

• mollybarker11mollybarker11 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2016
    There are sushi bars and there are Japanese restaurants that have sushi on the menu.

There are pizza joints and there are Italian restaurants that have pizza on the menu.

I'd be confused if a friend said "Hey lets go get some pizza" only to drive to an Olive Garden and order spaghetti.

But I think it does come down to some people honestly not knowing what some words mean. Sushi is a rice dish, I've only ever eaten it in maki (roll) form, and I've never had raw fish (sashimi) in mine.
  • I love sushi rolls but I don't eat fish, so I'll eat a shit ton of veggie rolls. I think as long as you have other items besides sushi, that's perfectly fine. A lot of people don't eat sushi at all and others like myself won't eat rolls with fish (but will happily munch on a cucumber roll). 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• hellohkb said:
    I love sushi rolls but I don't eat fish, so I'll eat a shit ton of veggie rolls. I think as long as you have other items besides sushi, that's perfectly fine. A lot of people don't eat sushi at all and others like myself won't eat rolls with fish (but will happily munch on a cucumber roll). 
    This is just what I was going to say. There are plenty of sushi rolls that don't have raw fish and anyone can eat. 
  • There are sushi bars and there are Japanese restaurants that have sushi on the menu.

There are pizza joints and there are Italian restaurants that have pizza on the menu.

I'd be confused if a friend said "Hey lets go get some pizza" only to drive to an Olive Garden and order spaghetti.

But I think it does come down to some people honestly not knowing what some words mean. Sushi is a rice dish, I've only ever eaten it in maki (roll) form, and I've never had raw fish (sashimi) in mine.
    You'd never find sashimi in a sushi roll- Sashimi isn't raw fish, it's raw fish served on its own, usually over a bed of daikon.

Sushi is not raw fish- it's vinegared rice mixed with other ingredients.  Nigiri is a type of sushi which is raw fish served over pressed vinegar rice.  Maki are the rolled sushi, that may or may not contain raw fish. Temaki are the seaweed cone variety, I believe.

• I'd be concerned with allergies ... but if you can separate the rolls, I'd be the guest chowing down on the veggie rolls or some sort of roll with protein that does not come from the sea. Does that kind of sushi even exist? I've never been for sushi thanks to be allergy.
  • ernursej said:
    I'd be concerned with allergies ... but if you can separate the rolls, I'd be the guest chowing down on the veggie rolls or some sort of roll with protein that does not come from the sea. Does that kind of sushi even exist? I've never been for sushi thanks to be allergy.
    There are omelette rolls, but they don't have sushi rice.
  • There are sushi bars and there are Japanese restaurants that have sushi on the menu.

You'd never find sashimi in a sushi roll- Sashimi isn't raw fish, it's raw fish served on its own, usually over a bed of daikon.

Sushi is not raw fish- it's vinegared rice mixed with other ingredients.  Nigiri is a type of sushi which is raw fish served over pressed vinegar rice.  Maki are the rolled sushi, that may or may not contain raw fish. Temaki are the seaweed cone variety, I believe.

K see I dove into the sushi wiki article and eat sushi on the reg and STILL don't know what all these words mean! So it's clearly more an issue of westerners using words wrong than having a separate broadly-understood definition of them (like UK "pants" and US "pants"). You hit the nail on the head with "I also think there's a difference between local colloquialisms and using words incorrectly."
  • ernursej said:
    I'd be concerned with allergies ... but if you can separate the rolls, I'd be the guest chowing down on the veggie rolls or some sort of roll with protein that does not come from the sea. Does that kind of sushi even exist? I've never been for sushi thanks to be allergy.
    There are omelette rolls, but they don't have sushi rice.
    Hum. Not sure that turns my crank. I'd just stick with the veggie ones and drink a lot :)

K see I dove into the sushi wiki article and eat sushi on the reg and STILL don't know what all these words mean! So it's clearly more an issue of westerners using words wrong than having a separate broadly-understood definition of them (like UK "pants" and US "pants"). You hit the nail on the head with "I also think there's a difference between local colloquialisms and using words incorrectly."
    What does "pants" mean in the UK?

What does "pants" mean in the UK?
    Underwear, panties. 

Great analogy. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards