Wedding Woes
Options

Returned from a Wedding Weekend... and said..

WW will have a hay day with this one!  Set the scene - Church Wedding, minor gap of about an hour NBD because it was about 15 minutes from church to reception given logistics nothing closer,  upper end hotel, linen service, chair covers, specialty lighting, nice centerpieces, head table with lighted backdrop... 

At the door - we were greeted with koozies...  The line to the bar was insane, so figured I'd wait until after dinner to grab something.  Apps were nice, awesome actually..  The second we sat down for dinner the bride stands up and says "And just wanted to let you know - it's no longer an open bar, but a cash bar!" to which the entire room shot her a stink-eye and a verbal snarl!  Yes - the crowd VERBALIZED it!  And the energy of the room just dropped.  The second dinner was over about 50% took off, before cupcakes - which were NASTY!  This is what bugs me - putting money into all the other details then serving horrible Butt-r-crème (the nasty leave a shortening coating on your mouth) with bland cupcakes...  I can tolerate cupcakes, but darn-it, just like any dessert, my expectation is that it better taste like something people want to eat instead of taking a bite and leaving the rest. If you don't like it, choose something you DO like! (the bride and groom didn't even eat the cupcakes, they had a filled cake they had made in a different frosting instead)...

Oh - and yes, they did have the "Dollar Dance!" can't forget that!  We stuck around until around the kids' bedtime as the kids started to get tired. 

Re: Returned from a Wedding Weekend... and said..

• Options
    Ugh! Must have been the weekend for poorly hosted weddings! I don't understand why people spend money on non-essentials but have a cash bar. The wedding we attended this weekend had a three hour gap in addition to the cash bar and no apps at the cocktail hour!
  • Options
    Yuck.  You stuck it out longer than I would have.  
    Once, at exH's cousin's wedding, we found out AFTER an 8hr drive and the ceremony that there was a 3 hr gap.  The bride had decided at the last minute that she just needed her reception to start at sunset, so she managed to get everything pushed back.  The gap was not hosted. Fuck that.  We packed up the babies (3yr & 18mth) and went swimming at the hotel and ordered pizza.  
                            AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Options
    Geeze, this weekend must have been doomed between both of your stories @ilovebeach music and @mesmrewe.

But hey, at least you got a personalized koozie. </sarcasm> 
  • Options
    I had a cupcake like that at a wedding a couple years ago. I like buttercream frosting but this seriously tasted like butter (and I mean I like butter too, just not on my cupcake). It was sooooo disappointing
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    I had a cupcake like that at a wedding a couple years ago. I like buttercream frosting but this seriously tasted like butter (and I mean I like butter too, just not on my cupcake). It was sooooo disappointing
    It was possibly swiss meringue buttercream. I make it quite often because it's less sweet than regular buttercream. It's a pound of butter, 2 egg whites, 1 cup of sugar, and a bit of vanilla. It's got a very strong butter flavor. 
  • Options
    The cupcakes are exactly why I was picky on what we did. We had top tier for WP and cupcakes for rest, but we looked for a place that had consistency so no one was getting something better than rest.
  • Options
    MesmrEwe said:

WW will have a hay day with this one!  Set the scene - Church Wedding, minor gap of about an hour NBD because it was about 15 minutes from church to reception given logistics nothing closer,  upper end hotel, linen service, chair covers, specialty lighting, nice centerpieces, head table with lighted backdrop... 

At the door - we were greeted with koozies...  The line to the bar was insane, so figured I'd wait until after dinner to grab something.  Apps were nice, awesome actually..  The second we sat down for dinner the bride stands up and says "And just wanted to let you know - it's no longer an open bar, but a cash bar!" to which the entire room shot her a stink-eye and a verbal snarl!  Yes - the crowd VERBALIZED it!  And the energy of the room just dropped.  The second dinner was over about 50% took off, before cupcakes - which were NASTY!  This is what bugs me - putting money into all the other details then serving horrible Butt-r-crème (the nasty leave a shortening coating on your mouth) with bland cupcakes...  I can tolerate cupcakes, but darn-it, just like any dessert, my expectation is that it better taste like something people want to eat instead of taking a bite and leaving the rest. If you don't like it, choose something you DO like! (the bride and groom didn't even eat the cupcakes, they had a filled cake they had made in a different frosting instead)...

Oh - and yes, they did have the "Dollar Dance!" can't forget that!  We stuck around until around the kids' bedtime as the kids started to get tired. 

So many things wrong with this, but the bolded irks me. "You guys eat these less than stellar desserts.  FI and I will be having an amazing cake we couldn't afford for the whole guest list".  Same goes as Bride/groom/bridal party one-ups.

• Options
    kvruns said:
    It was possibly swiss meringue buttercream. I make it quite often because it's less sweet than regular buttercream. It's a pound of butter, 2 egg whites, 1 cup of sugar, and a bit of vanilla. It's got a very strong butter flavor. 

While I'm not a huge fan of SMBC it does have its place especially with sculpted cakes, but is HORRIBLE if it's cool when served! 

• Options
    MesmrEwe said:

While I'm not a huge fan of SMBC it does have its place especially with sculpted cakes, but is HORRIBLE if it's cool when served! 

I love it served cold. It sets up nice and then just melts into buttery, sugary goodness. 
  • Options
    Geeze, this weekend must have been doomed between both of your stories @ilovebeach music and @mesmrewe.

But hey, at least you got a personalized koozie. </sarcasm> 
    Yeah, I haven't told most of it. Oh and we got another bottle opener! Whoopee!
  • Options
  • Options
    MNNEBride said:
    @ILoveBeachMusic - do tell...
    I've posted a couple of times about this wedding. The bride was very involved in planning her own shower - and there was a dress code (festive hats!) The invitations (for the wedding) were smeared and didn't have the address of the reception venue. The name of the ceremony venue was wrong. My son's fiancee wasn't included on his invitation.There was the 3 hour gap (if you were in family pictures) 3 and 1/4 hr if you were just a guest. No food at the cash bar cocktail hour.(Luckily during the gap we went to a bar and had a little snack). There was absolutely no flow to the reception. The bride went to the buffet to serve herself dinner (without the groom) and there was no release of tables. Toasts, cake cutting and bouquet toss were randomly done throughout the evening. Music wasn't planned well (iPod playlist but they didn't have it set up ahead of time). The bride and groom did neither table visits nor a receiving line (this really ticked me off!). Finally, there was some kind of incident that has resulted in people not speaking to each other and the post wedding brunch being cancelled. The incident happened after we left the reception so I have no idea exactly what happened. The whole thing was one hot mess!
  • Options
    MNNEBride said:
    @ILoveBeachMusic - do tell...
    I've posted a couple of times about this wedding. The bride was very involved in planning her own shower - and there was a dress code (festive hats!) The invitations (for the wedding) were smeared and didn't have the address of the reception venue. The name of the ceremony venue was wrong. My son's fiancee wasn't included on his invitation.There was the 3 hour gap (if you were in family pictures) 3 and 1/4 hr if you were just a guest. No food at the cash bar cocktail hour.(Luckily during the gap we went to a bar and had a little snack). There was absolutely no flow to the reception. The bride went to the buffet to serve herself dinner (without the groom) and there was no release of tables. Toasts, cake cutting and bouquet toss were randomly done throughout the evening. Music wasn't planned well (iPod playlist but they didn't have it set up ahead of time). The bride and groom did neither table visits nor a receiving line (this really ticked me off!). Finally, there was some kind of incident that has resulted in people not speaking to each other and the post wedding brunch being cancelled. The incident happened after we left the reception so I have no idea exactly what happened. The whole thing was one hot mess!
    oh wow, first I read about this.  Man, a lot going on with that. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards