Wedding Woes
Options

I'd skip the reunion and take myself to spa day or something.

Dear Prudence,

Every year for the past five years, I’ve attended my husband’s family reunion with him. There are usually about 60 attendees, most of whom are lovely people I enjoy seeing and spending time with. My problem is this: Every year, I am forced to hug my husband’s 80-year-old great-uncle (this is the only time I ever see him). These hugs are tight, long, and uncomfortable, usually involving his entire torso. He’s also come up to me from behind, wrapping his arms around my front and pushing himself against me. This year, I tried to avoid the hug but was made to feel as if I did not have a choice. When I told my husband about it, he said he was sorry but didn’t know how we could avoid it next year. This uncle only hugs the women in my family, which just makes it worse. I dislike hugging him to the point where I was sobbing telling my husband about it the next day. The only other uncles or family members I hug are my husband’s direct uncles, whose hugs are light and brief and are therefore not uncomfortable. How can I still go to this reunion and avoid this unwanted and inappropriate manner of affection?

—Unwanted Affection

Re: I'd skip the reunion and take myself to spa day or something.

• Options
    I'd be sick that day or really anything to not be there to let creeptastic uncle get his jollies on me.
  • Options
    Same. Fake sick.
  • Options

It's always perfectly fine to stay home.  Creepy great-uncle or not.  But if she enjoys the reunion, she shouldn't let creepy guy ruin it for her.  However, that would also involve her being a bit assertive and refusing the hug or flat out telling him she finds his hugs uncomfortable/inappropriate and she prefers a handshake.  But let's be real.  She doesn't sound like the kind of person capable of doing that.

It reminds me of a friend of my ex.  He was the creepy guy hugger.  Oh!  But it even went beyond that.  He would tell me all the time about how "he and his wife have an open marriage" and "he thinks I'm so gorgeous and would love to take me out sometime" and "what a lucky guy my b/f is".  I'd push back from his hugs after a few seconds.  I'd flat out tell him, though politely, that I wasn't interested, it was inappropriate to be hitting on me, and I wanted him to stop with the comments.  But he never did.

I'd complain to my then b/f about what his friend said and did, thinking he would take it seriously and be mad/talk to his friend.  Nope.  B/F just thought it was funny.  Though it wasn't the cause of our break-up, him laughing off my concern and discomfort dropped him a few notches in my eyes.

B/f even told me about a conversation he and friend had.  Where his friend was sad because he thought I was a great person, but got the impression I didn't like him.  Really?!?  I've told you (friend) the behaviors I don't like and make me uncomfortable.  And you do them anyway.  So, YEAH, I don't like you.  I'm dismayed that is just your "impression".  I'll need to work harder to make it a "fact".

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My question is why doesn't LW pull away if it's uncomfortable? I would do that. If he said something I'd just state that there is a comfort level issue. Maybe he doesn't realize it?
    Pulling away from a tight hug might be difficult, especially when it's an 80 year old man that you don't want to break.  It would suck if she couldn't attend just because of this one inappropriate uncle.  I think she needs her husband to step up and act as shield.  And maybe she's not the only one that feels this way!  It sounds like someone needs to talk to this guy, because even if she says home, he is hugging all the other women there and probably making them feel violated.  

• Options
    Let's see - sudden case of "Explosive squirts" timed just when it's time to give said uncle a hug... BEAN DIP THE HE** out of it...  There are always ways to shield one's energy in such circumstances to avoid the situation without appearing to do so!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards