Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

COSTA RICA MARRIAGE LICENSE

Hi ! I was married in costa rica in may. I just received the marriage license translated to English. However in Costa Rica they do not change your last name. And the lawyer that facilitated the process is 100% non-responsive. 

What do I need to do to make our marriage known and legal in the US? How do I change my name?

Thank!

Re: COSTA RICA MARRIAGE LICENSE

• Options
    Call your county clerk's office.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I was married in Australia. Once I received my certificate, I took it to the social security office. They were able to change my name with that certificate. Once the social security card is updated, you can pretty much change your name everywhere else.

• Options
    Your marriage should be legal in the US.  For name changes, follow the procedures of your state.  You'll likely need to bring your marriage certificate to the DMV/wherever you need to go to make the legal name change

• Options
    Your marriage certificate doesn't need to have your married name on it. It's fine if it has your maiden name. Thats what it would have here as well. 
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016
    I have never seen a marriage license or certificate that has the bride's new married name on it.  Name changes have nothing to do with becoming a married couple.  Many brides choose to not change their names at all.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    I have never seen a marriage license or certificate that has the bride's new married name on it.  Name changes have nothing to do with becoming a married couple.  Many brides choose to not change their names at all.
    They do exactly this in NY. When we got our marriage license, I had to tell them if I planned on changing my last name, and what it would be (hyphenated or not). So yes, some states require that. 
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    They do exactly this in NY. When we got our marriage license, I had to tell them if I planned on changing my last name, and what it would be (hyphenated or not). So yes, some states require that. 
    Yup, when my husband and I applied for our license they had a space for either/both/neither of us to fill in what our new name would be. Our certificate has "New Surname" with my married name next to it, that's how I was able to change my name with the SSA and DMV the Monday after our Friday wedding.
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    Wow.  I have seen  lot of marriages licenses, but  I have never seen one like this.  Live and learn.  Thanks for the correction.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

Hi everyone - thank you for your replies you have pointed me in the right direction. I first called the county clerks office: they said my options would be pay $35 dollars to have a courthouse marriage and ID what I would like my new name to be. Or pay $250 in court fees to have a name change. whew-- I was not happy with those answers because I paid a $200 extra to be married legally in Costa Rica. 

Then I went to the Social Security office. They said my documents were fine as is. However, its been a few weeks and instead of receiving a new SS card with my new name on it. I received a letter stating my documents were incomplete because my name was not on them at all.

I think this error was by the clerk at the counter, who may not have scanned  all of the documents (marriage certificate and signature authorization certificates) fingers crossed that this is the error.

For the sake of other knotties I will update this thread when I come to a resolution.

• Options

Hi everyone - thank you for your replies you have pointed me in the right direction. I first called the county clerks office: they said my options would be pay $35 dollars to have a courthouse marriage and ID what I would like my new name to be. Or pay $250 in court fees to have a name change. whew-- I was not happy with those answers because I paid a $200 extra to be married legally in Costa Rica. 

Then I went to the Social Security office. They said my documents were fine as is. However, its been a few weeks and instead of receiving a new SS card with my new name on it. I received a letter stating my documents were incomplete because my name was not on them at all.

I think this error was by the clerk at the counter, who may not have scanned  all of the documents (marriage certificate and signature authorization certificates) fingers crossed that this is the error.

For the sake of other knotties I will update this thread when I come to a resolution.

Did you get a letter like the one attached? While you will obviously still need to resolve the issue with the card (It sounds like an error on their end, but I haven't seen your marriage cert), I used this letter as proof that my name changes with the SS office. I took it to the DMV with me, as well as submitted as proof for changing my name on my credit cards.

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Taking a married name is generally done as an "assumed name change", it is not a legal name change, so you shouldn't need to pay to go to court to have your name changed.

Take your marriage certificate to the various offices to change your name. I'm in Canada, but I started with what is the equivalent of my SS card. Once you have that, it is easy to change everything else.
  • Options
    In most Spanish speaking countries women don't change their last name. Were you not aware of this cultural fact before you got married in a primarily Spanish cultural country? 

It would be like if I moved to Quebec and got married there, I would have to keep my maiden name. How do you get married in a different country without knowing all the cultural implications thereof?
  • Options
    Yes I was aware - Just like CMGragain mentioned It didnt seem like it would be an issue. And ultimately that fact was not an issue. See my earlier response: 

It was an error made by the SS office. Thus causing confusion that prompted this questio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards