Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Etiquette for a Party Bus

Hey everyone,
I am getting married in Las Vegas in October. It's just a short ceremony downtown with about 25 people and then a party bus is picking everyone up from the ceremony and driving up the strip for 2 hours. My fiance and I are paying for the party bus 100%, but we are thinking about asking our guests to chip in maybe $10 per person for the alcohol. What do you think? Is that tacky? Thanks in advance.

Re: Etiquette for a Party Bus

• Options
    Definitely not okay.  This is your wedding event so the costs are on you.  (And even if this was okay, would it really be worth chasing everybody down for ten bucks anyway?)

Side note: I hope you are going to be feeding these guests something as well as providing alcohol.
  • Options
    That sounds like the party bus is essentially the "reception."  So yes, I think you need to pay for the alcohol and not ask people to chip in. 
  • Options
    Hey everyone,
    I am getting married in Las Vegas in October. It's just a short ceremony downtown with about 25 people and then a party bus is picking everyone up from the ceremony and driving up the strip for 2 hours. My fiance and I are paying for the party bus 100%, but we are thinking about asking our guests to chip in maybe $10 per person for the alcohol. What do you think? Is that tacky? Thanks in advance.

Definitely don't ask for money from them. They're your guests!
  • Options
    Yep, tacky.  Pay for the bus and drinks yourselves.  You also need food on the bus.  Two hours is a long time to just be boozing on an empty stomach.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    Don't ask guests to pay for drinks at a reception. Not a reception in a park, a fancy ballroom, a barn, or even on a party bus. It's just wrong.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    If your party bus is your hospitality to your wedding guests after your wedding, then it's your reception. And yes, it's tacky and rude to ask your guests to pay for their own drinks at your wedding reception.
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    And even if there was a separate reception after the party bus, it would still be rude to ask guests to chip in for alcohol on the bus. The bus is still part of your wedding. You must host your guests for the entire event. The other option is to not provide alcohol.
  • Options
    I'm confused. You're getting married and then riding around on a party bus for 2 hours? When is the reception? What will people eat? 2 hours on a bus with 25 people sounds like a flash back to high school hell. And how is each person going to drink $10 worth of alcohol purchased at state minimum pricing in 2 hours on a moving vehicle. Sounds like a vomit session waiting to happen.

Stuck in box

The party bus IS the reception.
  • Options
    Yes, the party bus IS the reception. Based on everyone's feedback I can see that it is a good idea for us to also pay for the alcohol. I have only been to 2 weddings in my entire life and they were traditional weddings paid for by the parents. I honestly don't even know where to start when it comes to the etiquette of a wedding, that's why I asked for advice and I thank you!                                                                                                                                             So yes, the party bus is the reception, unfortunately the party buses do not allow food. My original idea was to have a party bus with booze and pizza.  photokitty said:
    I'm confused. You're getting married and then riding around on a party bus for 2 hours? When is the reception? What will people eat? 2 hours on a bus with 25 people sounds like a flash back to high school hell. And how is each person going to drink $10 worth of alcohol purchased at state minimum pricing in 2 hours on a moving vehicle. Sounds like a vomit session waiting to happen.
    Like I said before, food is not allowed on the bus so I am thinking we will make our stop at a pizza place, with the pizzas ordered ahead of time. The bus will be making a few stops for people to get out and take pictures and stuff. Still sound tacky?

• Options
    It sounds like the bus is going to be shuttling them up and down the Strip for two hours, making stops wherever they want.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    It sounds like the bus is going to be shuttling them up and down the Strip for two hours, making stops wherever they want.

I agree. But I still don't think that sounds like a lot of fun - but then again I'm old!
  • Options
    I'm assuming they don't want food on the bus because it has the potential to make a mess...but honestly I can imagine drinks making just as much of a mess so that policy seems really strange. 

Regardless, that's not your fault. Yes, I think stopping st some point for some pizza is a great idea provided you also pay for that. As long as you are providing enough food and paying for people's drinks then it is proper etiquette.
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited August 2016
    If you have guests at your ceremony, you MUST offer them food and drink afterwards.  Anything else is rude.  By "offering" I mean that you pay for it.

I do not understand what your guests will be doing while riding in the party bus, up and down the strip, for a couple of hours.  Please explain this to me.

The party bus must have a significant cost.  I think you would be better off hosting a nice reception at one of the many Vegas buffets.  Everyone would get plenty of food.  Alcohol is always optional.  Many people do not, or cannot drink.  Then your guests could explore the strip on their own using the convenient shuttles, or you could do the party bus AFTER your reception.  Don't be surprised if some guests don't want to go on the party bus.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

As a guest I'd side-eye the party bus for two hours without food in general, but asking to pay for booze while doing so goes above and beyond the tacky factor.  This is your wedding, not 21st B-day or Bach party! 

Spend the money you're going to put in to a party bus for two hours on a nice pizza dinner with all the alcohol people can drink (there are plenty of places on the strip to choose from).  Party it up!  But don't be a poor host!  These people are spending at least a grand each to be guests at your wedding, host them properly! (and, you can do so without spending a fortune!)  At minimum - "Cake & punch", depending on where your budget is, you can expand the menu from there... 

• Options
    I don't think a party bus is wrong, per se, as long as you pay for everyone's food and drink but it is going to be a logistical nightmare. I think there are several ways to get a similar style party atmosphere that probably cost the same amount or even cheaper without being complicated. 

If you want the crazy, Vegas party atmosphere,  can you get a suite at a hotel with an entertaining space/lounge and stay there for the night (you can double this up as your hotel room)? With only 25 people you can get some party platters and bring your own beer and wine. A lot of the suites are actually not THAT expensive, and you will save loads by buying the alcohol and food yourself (you can even just order pizzas!). Many of these suites have stereos so you can just plug your phone in for music and also enjoy the awesome views sans a need for Dramamine. 

Another option would be to book a private room or table at a nightclub and have a tab behind the bar and order some nibbles. 

You can get married at 8/9ish and party afterwards so you don't have to serve a full meal (although you need to serve some food) 

Party buses are fun if you are going somewhere, like to a sporting event or a concert with a huge group. They aren't that fun if you are just being driven around in circles for 2 hours. 

The only rule with all of this is you have to pay for everyone for all things. If your club has an entry fee, you have to pay. You have to pay for everyone's drinks for the reception. You must serve some sort of food (enough to constitute a full meal if you are having your wedding during a meal time, otherwise snacks should be OK). 

• Options
    ei34ei34 member
    I think your plan is fine, etiquette-wise.  As long as guests don't have to open their wallets, they're fed at meal time, and there's enough to drink, you're good.  Ive never been invited to a wedding in Vegas, but I think it's an appropriate celebration considering the location. 
    I disagree with PP who feel guests need to be treated to a full, sit-down dinner.  There are different types of weddings- at the end of the day, if the guests are properly hosted, it's not against etiquette.  OP asking us if it's tacky is a tricky question because we all have a different definition of tacky as far as taste.  It's not tacky etiquette-wise.
  • Options

As long as no one opens their wallets you are good.  I think you have gotten that so I am not worried there.  Personally, I would not enjoy this kind of reception.  I don't drink alcohol (at all!) and I get motion sick pretty easily...so if I knew that you were planning this I might decline your wedding.  It does not make it wrong, it is simply not an event I would want to spend the time and money to attend.

I really liked the idea a few of the other pp's came up with and want to ask if you would consider renting a room for an hour or two where everyone can sit down, eat their pizza/salad/pasta/etc and relax, then have the party bus pick up whoever wants to party and allow the other guests who wouldn't really enjoy a party bus just go their own way?  It may seem a bit odd, but I would think of it as an "after party" to a more traditional wedding and leave it up to your guests comfort and preference to decide.

Good luck and happy planning!

• Options
    I've been to a Vegas wedding that was more traditional - ceremony in a nice chapel, reception in a private area of a restaurant, and it was great.

Your plan sounds awesome, through, now that you've added food and drink to the plans.  I'd love your wedding.  And for point of reference, I'm 46.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • Options
    I guess I just don't understand why you'd want to be on a bus when you could be in one of the 783294732948302184321 bars and clubs and party spots available IN vegas. I like the "party hopping" thing, but why ON a bus? Where is the bus going to? I see that a sit down reception isn't what you're really going for - but what about a meal (pizza?) with a few drinks and then an unhosted after party at a bar or club?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards