Chit Chat

3 Day Weekend!

Less than 10 days until Labor Day weekend, and I am basically living for it right now. 

DH started his new job two weeks ago and is exhausted transitioning into the schedule. He went from the sweet life of dissertating (okay, maybe not that "sweet" -- he worked his ass off on that paper, but at least he did so at his own pacing) to teaching high school with 5 preps/ day. Teaching high school was never his heart's deepest desire to begin with, but it was the practical job after his dissertation since it offered decent pay and benefits and he had experience teaching at the college level. He has been feeling the first year teacher blues big time right now. Having gone through that before myself, I sympathize but also am encouraging him to just hang in there. 

I started classes last week and am already slammed with work. You know those joke Venn diagrams where the two pie charts never overlap? If one was labeled "Be a supportive wife" and the other was "Be a good student", that's basically how I feel right now. Trying to be both these things at once is driving me nuts right now. 

We're getting out of Dodge for Sunday/Monday to go see  DH's favorite baseball team and just enjoy the hotel's Happy Hour and indoor pool. I cannot wait. 

Anybody else?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: 3 Day Weekend!

• I wish we had something fun planned. But that will be DH's first days off (he only gets that Sat/Sun) in over 20 days so we are using it to finish the nursery that barely has anything done to it

• Our shower is Sunday of Labor Day weekend, but apart from that, it's going to be mailing invitations and doing housework.
  • We'll be working on home reno and hanging out with the dog, nothing too exciting!
  • I will cry when Labour Day hits, cos it means I will be back to work.  Saddest part of my year.  Don't get me wrong, I love my job, but I like collecting a pay check at home while doing nothing all summer more

• Your H is teaching high schoolers? Bless it! I hope you guys get through the rest of the transition smoothly and things get better!

My H has to work that Saturday so ill be watching football by myself. We don't have anything else planned at the moment, probably just sleeping in!
    Anniversary

• Good luck to your H!  My FI says the first year is the hardest, but it gets better after that!

There's a huge music festival in town all labor day within walking distance from my best friends house that is typically how we spend it every year.  The National Acts this year aren't anything to write home about, but then again the ones we were excited to see ended up not being anything good either!
  • I don't get a three-day weekend on Labor Day weekend. I conceivably may not get even a one-day weekend.

Tax season part 2. Blech.
  • tigerlily6tigerlily6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2016
    Your H is teaching high schoolers? Bless it! I hope you guys get through the rest of the transition smoothly and things get better!

My H has to work that Saturday so ill be watching football by myself. We don't have anything else planned at the moment, probably just sleeping in!
    I never was a huge football fan personally, but I loved football season as a teen/ college student because while my family got really into the games I would enjoy all the game-day snacks and nap on the couch. *Sigh* Miss those days.

And yeah, DH is in the land of high schoolers. A part of me is really enjoying the feeling of validation I'm finally getting, two years later, from when I used to teach high school. It has it good days, but it certainly has its bad ones, too, especially when you are first learning the ropes. I remember wanting to go out to a bar every Friday, not even because I really wanted a drink so much, but just so I could see and listen in on adult social interactions. I think DH finally gets it now. 

• Fi has been stalling on making plans, so I don't know what we will be doing yet.

We should go see his mom, since it's coming up on 2 years since we've seen her and 3 since we have been down there.  But the last time we were all together she spent the whole time acting out every stereotype of a jealous mother in law, so he's understandably a bit hesitant to commit an entire weekend and 16+ hours of round-trip driving to make that visit happen.  I want us to go--she and I have had lots of positive facebook interactions since then, and even if she does still hate me that is only going to get worse if it looks like he is scaling back contact with her because of me.

We have a big trip coming up at the beginning of October, so we might just wind up sitting this one out.  I want to get away, though.  Work has been intense lately and I could use a break.
  • I don't think we have any plans... H currently works nights, and Labor Day weekend he works both Saturday AND Sunday night :( I assume he gets Monday off, though. LUCKILY, he finally got the promotion he's been after for seven long months! (It took his lazy-ass boss boss SEVEN. MONTHS. to go through the hiring process, from posting the job opening in February, to interviewing in April, to deciding to reopen the post in June, to offering H the position yesterday). We have no idea when he will start, though, since they have to back-fill his current position first. I'm just happy that we will have normal weekends again in time for at least PART of football season.

Speaking of football, I'm looking forward to THIS weekend, since our Fantasy Football draft party is on Saturday! Though now I am realizing I really need to study up before then...

Between football, cooler weather (and being able to make soups without feeling like a crazy person because it's so hot), and the prospect of wearing boots and sweaters again, I am just SO excited for fall.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We start school after Labor Day, so I'll be spending that weekend doing last-minute prep. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • We'll definitely be watching college football. There are three games of interest to us, two of them are local, and they are all at the same time. So, we're trying to figure out if we want to go to a game or have them all on at home.

While H will be running a 10k on Monday, I will be sleeping in!

• I'm going to be all about the relaxation ... and a wedding dress fitting! Hoping that I only have one more after that. The lady I went to is awesome and is more picky about things than I am (which says a lot). She wants it to be just so. I'm very excited!
  • Nothing planned but my grandma will be in town so will go see her one of those days. I sort of dread the long weekend because H will just want it to be a get drunk with the neighbors all weekend long kind of thing and I can't stand to be around any of them these days, or to have him come home shitfaced from being over there so it is lose-lose for me.
  • I love 3 day weekends.

FH has chosen Labor Day as his stop date to quit smoking, so he will likely spend it grumpy, and I will spend it trying to distract him and not take the grumpiness personally.
  • Labor day Sunday is a wedding for my coworker, and the Monday we're celebrating my bday at my mum's with my H, mum {obv}, H's mum and stepdad, and both my grandmothers. My actual bday is Sept 7th {actually born on labor day ;)!} but we always end up celebrating on the monday
  • I think we're just planning to enjoy being at home.

Although I did just book tickets for the first weekend in October to go to NYC to visit all my friends. It's been nearly two years since I've been back so I can't wait!
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    My dad and his FI are getting married on the Friday. I work the Saturday, but because of that I have all Friday off, which works out nicely. I've decided to get my hair cut and styled, and a mani+pedi.

I'm glad to have Sun/Monday off. It will involve chores and cleaning, but if I'm not working, I'm ok with that!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards