Chit Chat

Stressing!

I am starting to stress in a big way.  We have been looking for a new nanny for our son for a month now.  The current nanny, whom we adore, is starting school next week.  We only need someone two days a week, and everyone around here seems to be looking for a fulltime gig.  It's getting really frustrating.  I'm also starting to have the new mommy, crazy person thought of "why doesn't anyone want to watch our son, he's such a sweetheart" which I know is nuts, because we aren't even getting anyone to the interview point.

We had someone interview who was lovely, knew we were looking for two days, then near the end of our meeting said she was really looking for something more full time!

I feel like we are running out of options, today is the former nanny's last day.  Ugghhh!  I just needed to vent for a second.  Any suggestions are more than welcome.

(DH isn't comfortable putting him in a daycare yet, he is 7 months old)

Re: Stressing!

• Daycare. I know, but what's the other option here? Leaving baby with a cat? Husband staying home with baby since he's so worried?  Or pay more. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    One of my cousins has gone through this twice.  She and her H need a full-time nanny and they still have difficulty finding someone that they really like...or they decide to hire someone, only for her to say she's accepted another position.  It must be so frustrating.
  • I also keep wondering if maybe we are just being too picky about who will be watching him. . . . but then I remember that it's our child that we are talking about.. . . . and I feel justified in our choosiness. 

• kaos16 said:

I also keep wondering if maybe we are just being too picky about who will be watching him. . . . but then I remember that it's our child that we are talking about.. . . . and I feel justified in our choosiness. 

Oh, have you been rejecting candidates who actually wanted the 2 day a week gig? You might be too picky. You can justify anything, but you now have no nanny, so maybe not? What's the problem you're seeing with people?
  • kaos16 said:

I also keep wondering if maybe we are just being too picky about who will be watching him. . . . but then I remember that it's our child that we are talking about.. . . . and I feel justified in our choosiness. 

Oh, have you been rejecting candidates who actually wanted the 2 day a week gig? You might be too picky. You can justify anything, but you now have no nanny, so maybe not? What's the problem you're seeing with people?

The people that have reached out to us that we have rejected without interview are people who a)have no prior experience with babies or b)want to provide childcare in their own home instead of ours.
  • Have you looked into Care.com?  How are you finding potential candidates?

Maybe the people with in-home options could work.  There are usually a smaller amount of children than a daycare, so less opportunity for illnesses to spread - if that is something your H is worried about.

• Have you looked into Care.com?  How are you finding potential candidates?

Maybe the people with in-home options could work.  There are usually a smaller amount of children than a daycare, so less opportunity for illnesses to spread - if that is something your H is worried about.

care.com is actually where we found our current nanny!  That's where I am focusing my search.  DH also put a post on facebook for our friends.

My line of work makes me SUPER apprehensive about people who want to watch my child in their home.  I'm not talking about a licensed in-home day care.  I'm talking about Jane in the next town who just prefers to have the baby in her house. 

• kaos16 said:

Have you looked into Care.com?  How are you finding potential candidates?

care.com is actually where we found our current nanny!  That's where I am focusing my search.  DH also put a post on facebook for our friends.

My line of work makes me SUPER apprehensive about people who want to watch my child in their home.  I'm not talking about a licensed in-home day care.  I'm talking about Jane in the next town who just prefers to have the baby in her house. 

When DD was a baby, many years ago, her child care givers were women who kept her in their home. The first was highly recommended to me by a co-worker and the second was recommended by the first. They both worked out very well. We cried when the first moved away because she was like a grandmother to DD. Maybe if you look at their references, you would get a better idea about them keep him in their home.
  • kaos16 said:

Have you looked into Care.com?  How are you finding potential candidates?

I might find out why they want that. Is it because of travel (could you arrange for travel?) or because they know the area around them so can take kids out easier?

You may have to go with a second choice and see how things are working out. I know that my friend had her dayhome close with very little notice and she had to find care very quickly. She went with someone who didn't meet all the criteria on her wish list and she has realized that this person is great.

• What if you put nanny cams in the house? Would that make you feel more settled? You can find ones that won't break the bank. 

As as far as daycare, it could be a good thing for baby! Especially since it's only two days a week. Admittedly, I don't understand much about babies, but my friend had her baby in day care at that age to help with seperation anxiety and socialization. 
  • lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Is there anyone you can nanny share with who would need help the other days to make it full time work for the nanny?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards