Chit Chat

White "fragility" funny video

In light of some discussions the last few weeks, I thought you all might enjoy this video.

SaveSave

Re: White "fragility" funny video

• I saw this this morning and was cracking it up.  I then sent it to a coworker who recently had to turn down someone who asked to touch her hair.
  • I love the guy correcting about his country of origin.  DH is asked his ethnicity all the time--sometimes they think he's Mexican, one time someone even asked if he was black (he's Filipino).  Where we're from, there's not a lot of diversity (everyone is white)--years ago, an entire WalMart stopped and stared when he and his mom went in.  If only he'd known about "white fragility" then, they could have saved themselves sprinting out of the store...
  • This was beautiful. 

missfrodo said:
    I love the guy correcting about his country of origin.  DH is asked his ethnicity all the time--sometimes they think he's Mexican, one time someone even asked if he was black (he's Filipino).  Where we're from, there's not a lot of diversity (everyone is white)--years ago, an entire WalMart stopped and stared when he and his mom went in.  If only he'd known about "white fragility" then, they could have saved themselves sprinting out of the store...
    Sad that people of color still get stared at as if we're not a nation of immigrants lol. I get asked about my ethnicity all the time too, I get Indian, Italian, Colombian, I never get Mexican because I don't look "stereotypically" Mexican, but once me, my dad and brothers met a White lady who knew we were Hispanic based on our names but assumed we were Mexican right away "You guys are Mexican right?", we never got that before, my dad and brother sometimes get asked if they're Jewish! So we didn't know how to react except by laughing, it's not that we would find it bad to be Mexican obviously, it's that there are so many White people that don't know there are more Latin countries than Mexico and refuse to leave their bubble. And same with your husband, if they're not White, they're either Black, Chinese or Mexican eh?

Anyway I love this video so very much.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited August 2016
    Truth. Made me really think about my past interactions with colleagues and whether I could have handled them better. 

ETA: I've been guilty of thinking that I know what racism is like because I've experienced sexism and heterosexism. Not even close.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards