Chit Chat

Help me choose a dress

vikinganna87vikinganna87 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited August 2016 in Chit Chat

It's been eons since I bought a dress for work and everyday use.  Most of what's in my closet is very fitted and not that comfortable.  I'm looking for something I can wear in a professional setting, probably with a blazer, cardigan or other sweater over but also to go out in.

These are all three from Banana Republic, around the same price.  All polyester.  The first one has good reviews, the other two are relatively new and have no reviews.  Just based on the photos I think they should fit my body type, but who knows?

Which one do you like best?  

Re: Help me choose a dress

• What's the occasion??

• What's the occasion??
    Sorry, posted prematurely --- I just edited it now :)
  • If it's for work, I say 1 or 3.  2 is more for going out, I think

• I think the short tie neck is the only one that works for a professional setting.  
  • What are the norms in your office? I know that I couldn't do sleeveless (except in the summer when there are no students around, and I have no meetings). Also, the lining under the second one does not look longer enough for a professional setting. I'd go with 3.
  • I like the first one with the polka dots, especially with a jacket or a cardigan.
  • I would find the second one very strange in the office (unless you work in fashion or something kind of trendy). I personally like the third the best, but I'm biased because the cut of the first one wouldn't really flatter me so I'm having trouble viewing it objectively.
  • I like #3 the best because of the color. #1 would look awful on me but if you could pull it off, then that one could work assuming you can wear sleeveless.

• 1 or 3. The sheerness of the bottom half of the skirt of 2 makes it a little too casual for an office setting. I think 1 would be adorable with a belted cardigan.
  • What are the norms in your office? I know that I couldn't do sleeveless (except in the summer when there are no students around, and I have no meetings). Also, the lining under the second one does not look longer enough for a professional setting. I'd go with 3.
    My office is not overly formal or edgy & cool or super casual.  It's somewhere in between.  Sleeveless is fine, especially when it's warm out.  I travel a lot to see clients, so I would dress more sharply for a day of meetings than a day in the office.  Our Fridays are also relatively casual.

Thanks to all of you for your input and for pointing out the sheerness of #2 on the bottom.  I'm leaning toward #3 because it seems to be the most versatile but also because it's closest to what I had in mind before searching a number of different stores online.  
  • I vastly prefer #1.  I think it looks adorable and professional.  I agree that 3 is better than 2, but I personally think that fabric looks like grandma's curtains.   It's so busy that the shape and details of the dress get lost in the pattern.  I'm no fashion maven, though.  If it speaks to you, that's what counts.
  • I vastly prefer #1.  I think it looks adorable and professional.  I agree that 3 is better than 2, but I personally think that fabric looks like grandma's curtains.   It's so busy that the shape and details of the dress get lost in the pattern.  I'm no fashion maven, though.  If it speaks to you, that's what counts.
    I see what you mean and don't disagree :)  I realized that #1 is more similar to my normal style and I'm in the mood for a slight departure.  If #3 looks horrible I'll return it for #1.  Will keep you posted!  Thanks for your input.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I like #1 or #3.

I wouldn't buy #1 without trying it on first- that silhouette will either work or it won't.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards