Chit Chat

Late to the party?

I recently (yesterday) discovered the show Once Upon A Time and I'm obsessed! I watched 7 episodes yesterday, which is like 6 hours straight through. I don't even know if this show is coming on tv anymore but its so good!!

What are/were you late to the party on?

Clearly nothing is happening at my job so I'm on TK and feening for Netflix. 
Anniversary

Re: Late to the party?

• @theycallmelinz  idk if they're still airing it by you, but where I am it starts back up in September :) My mum is obsessed ;)

I was late to the party with walking dead, but I dropped that pretty easily. Currently watching "Secret Life of the American Teenager" - I'd seen a few eps off and on in season 1 but not enough to watch on going. It's good.
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016
    I loved season 1 of Once Upon a Time.  I'm halfway into S2 and I just can't get into it!

I'm late to the party for Frankie and Gracie (or is Gracie and Frankie?), crazy ex girlfriend, and I was late to the party for Salem - but I'm all caught up!
    edit: oh, and the Fosters.  I'm caught up to netflix (season 4?)

• I'll have to check these out!  After hearing an interview on the radio with Judd Apatow the other day I checked out his new Netflix series, Love.  H and I watched two episodes last night and BOTH liked it, which is rare.  
  • I'm late to the party on EVERYTHING. It's just pathetic.

The least embarrassing example right now is that I'm a season behind on Vikings. Oh, and I still have all the archery segments from the Olympics on the Tivo to watch...
  • I'll have to check these out!  After hearing an interview on the radio with Judd Apatow the other day I checked out his new Netflix series, Love.  H and I watched two episodes last night and BOTH liked it, which is rare.  

Come back when you get to the end of the season and let us know what you think. I really enjoyed the first few episodes but it kind of fell off a cliff for me. I'll probably still watch the second season though - it was like a little snack of TV for me, light and easy to watch
  • Game of Thrones. When it first aired, I watched part of the premiere and decided it was too far fetched and gory to hold my interest. Then, my son's PT was obsessed with it, so I decided to give it another shot. I watched all six seasons this summer. I feel I could edit out a lot of stuff - don't care for 'Many faced Man' story line,' and it would be nice to see an occasional 'good guy' keep his head, but I'll probably watch the remaining two seasons.

I also haven't watched 'Downton Abbey,' but will be starting that one soon.

• Game of Thrones. When it first aired, I watched part of the premiere and decided it was too far fetched and gory to hold my interest. Then, my son's PT was obsessed with it, so I decided to give it another shot. I watched all six seasons this summer. I feel I could edit out a lot of stuff - don't care for 'Many faced Man' story line,' and it would be nice to see an occasional 'good guy' keep his head, but I'll probably watch the remaining two seasons.

I also haven't watched 'Downton Abbey,' but will be starting that one soon.

Same here. A friend of mine started "Game of Thro-back" brunches on Sundays where we drink, eat, and watch 4 GoT episodes (started from the beginning). I'm the only one actually seeing them for the first time, so the rest of the crowd gets a kick out of it. It's actually pretty cool.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • edited August 2016
    "Doctor Who." I liked it but wasn't a hardcore fan till I met FW. We've watched all the "new" episodes but have yet to tackle the classics.

"Firefly." Never watched it till last year. Love at first watch. Am now trying to get my parents hooked (Dad loves Westerns, Mom loves Nathan Fillion).

ETA: Oh, and "Sherlock." FW and I binge-watched all three seasons, and I watched "The Abominable Bride" at least four times. I'm counting the days till the next season.

I need to get back into "Supernatural." Maybe the housemate will watch it with me since FW isn't a fan.
  • I loved season 1 of Once Upon a Time.  I'm halfway into S2 and I just can't get into it!

I'm late to the party for Frankie and Gracie (or is Gracie and Frankie?), crazy ex girlfriend, and I was late to the party for Salem - but I'm all caught up!
    edit: oh, and the Fosters.  I'm caught up to netflix (season 4?)
    Keep watching once upon a time! It took me a while to get into it after the first season, but the writers have done a really good job at keeping it interesting. 

Come back when you get to the end of the season and let us know what you think. I really enjoyed the first few episodes but it kind of fell off a cliff for me. I'll probably still watch the second season though - it was like a little snack of TV for me, light and easy to watch
    Oh no!  I will keep you posted.... 
  • I really really wanted to get into Game of Thrones but it's hard for me to follow. I may just need to tackle 1 or 2 episodes at a time. H has also gotten me into House of Cards which is really good so far. 
    Anniversary

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I love Once! I'm following it on Netflix, so I'm a season behind, but waiting for the next one to be released this fall!

• Once Upon a Time is my favorite show! I was late to the party on it, but my roommate my sophomore year of college absolutely loved it and told me to give it a shot. Keep with it though, the second season had a little lull in the action, but I promise it gets better!

I was late to the party for Making a Murderer, and I'm still late to the party on Orange Is the New Black. I promised myself I would get into it, but time got away from me and medic school started back up again so I'm in a somewhat losing balancing act of finalizing wedding plans, working and going to school.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I kept up with Once Upon A Time for about three seasons but then lost interest/decided I had too many shows to keep up with and dropped it. 

I'm late in almost everything because we have no tv and no internet at or house. So I watch stuff at the library, plus most websites make you wait a week to watch it online. ABC used to let you watch it the next day, but a year or two ago they switched to a week. Argh! I could avoid spoilers for a day but not a week! 

I didn't watch Downton Abbey until I discovered it was free on Prime, then watched the whole thing at once. Never watched HIMYM until the same, now I love it!  Watched the whole thing and would like to again, but now it's not available on prime anymore, which really sucks. 

• I'm late to the party on getting a cellphone.  I signed up for a 1 month last night (though my landline # won't transfer for another few days).  Still not sure if I want one though, and I'm not happy with the plan, but it's only till the new iPhone comes out, cos DH has an unlocked one I can have if I want

• "Doctor Who." I liked it but wasn't a hardcore fan till I met FW. We've watched all the "new" episodes but have yet to tackle the classics.

"Firefly." Never watched it till last year. Love at first watch. Am now trying to get my parents hooked (Dad loves Westerns, Mom loves Nathan Fillion).

ETA: Oh, and "Sherlock." FW and I binge-watched all three seasons, and I watched "The Abominable Bride" at least four times. I'm counting the days till the next season.

I need to get back into "Supernatural." Maybe the housemate will watch it with me since FW isn't a fan.
    I am the opposite when it comes to Dr. Who. I recently watched all of the classics the local library has to offer. I tried to watch the newer ones, but some of them are too scary.
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse
  • "Doctor Who." I liked it but wasn't a hardcore fan till I met FW. We've watched all the "new" episodes but have yet to tackle the classics.

I am the opposite when it comes to Dr. Who. I recently watched all of the classics the local library has to offer. I tried to watch the newer ones, but some of them are too scary.
    We haven't been able to bring ourselves to re-watch some episodes for that reason.

Who's your favorite Doctor, @LadyCatherineDB? What about favorite companions?
  • edited August 2016
    I'm late to the party on getting a cellphone.  I signed up for a 1 month last night (though my landline # won't transfer for another few days).  Still not sure if I want one though, and I'm not happy with the plan, but it's only till the new iPhone comes out, cos DH has an unlocked one I can have if I want
    Hold on. Are you saying that until last night you have never had a cellphone? Like, never ever or just never had a good one or something? Have I misread this? What? Why?

Girl, if I've read this correctly then you have just blown my mind. 

Eta: barney. It felt appropriate.

• I'm late to the party on getting a cellphone.  I signed up for a 1 month last night (though my landline # won't transfer for another few days).  Still not sure if I want one though, and I'm not happy with the plan, but it's only till the new iPhone comes out, cos DH has an unlocked one I can have if I want
    Hold on. Are you saying that until last night you have never had a cellphone? Like, never ever or just never had a good one or something? Have I misread this? What? Why?

Never had a cell phone.  Technically still don't, since the land line number hasn't switched over, so I have a SIM card and no phone access.  Glad I still have some ability to amaze.  ;)

Never had a cell phone.  Technically still don't, since the land line number hasn't switched over, so I have a SIM card and no phone access.  Glad I still have some ability to amaze.  ;)
    Holy cow! I thought EVERYONE had a cell phone haha. Even my dad who refuses to get a "smart phone" still uses his flip phone lol
    Anniversary

Holy cow! I thought EVERYONE had a cell phone haha. Even my dad who refuses to get a "smart phone" still uses his flip phone lol

My H has a flip phone with no data package since he doesn't have internet access. He keeps saying he's going to upgrade because he feels like an idiot. I keep telling him that there is no shame in a flip phone. I still have a Blackberry and totally own that shit.

My H has a flip phone with no data package since he doesn't have internet access. He keeps saying he's going to upgrade because he feels like an idiot. I keep telling him that there is no shame in a flip phone. I still have a Blackberry and totally own that shit.
    I still have a Blackberry too and I love it

For the love of god, @WinstonsGirl , get that iphone!!! The 21st century awaits!

I am impressed!!

I have a Samsung S3- very "outdated". But I refused to pay "full price" for the newest fan-dangled phone (I got my S3 only about a year ago). I tried to get a new battery but none of the stores carry them for my phone, and one retailer asked, "Why don't you upgrade?"- because I don't want to!
  • Switched over tonight.  I have no data (older iPhone from FIL), so I just use wifi, no voicemail and no caller id.  And within the first 15mins (including 1 while driving), I had 2 calls, more than I usually average during a week.  Couldn't even see who it was or check the voicemail.  But I suppose I've joined the masses now.  Still not sure how I feel about it  

• I was very late to Grey's Anatomy and of course lots of classic TV shows like Bewitched, Brady Bunch, the Munsters.. But I can't help it if I was born several decades after the shows ended! ;)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• hellohkb said:
    I was very late to Grey's Anatomy and of course lots of classic TV shows like Bewitched, Brady Bunch, the Munsters.. But I can't help it if I was born several decades after the shows ended! ;)
    same. "I Love Lucy"
  • SP29 said:
    I'm late to the party on getting a cellphone.  I signed up for a 1 month last night (though my landline # won't transfer for another few days).  Still not sure if I want one though, and I'm not happy with the plan, but it's only till the new iPhone comes out, cos DH has an unlocked one I can have if I want

I am impressed!!

I have a Samsung S3- very "outdated". But I refused to pay "full price" for the newest fan-dangled phone (I got my S3 only about a year ago). I tried to get a new battery but none of the stores carry them for my phone, and one retailer asked, "Why don't you upgrade?"- because I don't want to!

Check out Amazon.  I've been able to buy new batteries for all of my "outdated" phones over the years.  You may have slim pickins for shops, but there should be a few that will.  My last phone was also smartphone (my first!) that I had for 3 years, I got the additional 6 months out of it because I was able to find a new battery for it.

Its also the reason I went with the LG G4 when I upgraded, because they still had batteries in their phones.  Samsung has switched so no batteries can be replaced.  Which is why I went with the G4 over the Galaxy.

• @OurWildKingdom, I was late to the DW party, too, and I haven't watched any since series 6.  My very first episode was "The Time of the Angels," so, naturally, Matt Smith is my doctor.  I never understood that "you never forget your first doctor" until I made DH watch it with me from the beginning, and he told me his favorite is Christopher Eccleston, and MIL told me hers was David Tennant (when she started watching--Tennant was my least favorite).

I am late to the party with all TV because I hate gaps, so I wait until the series ends before I binge watch on Netflix.  It's not always feasible, but I really hate having to rewatch part or all of a season to catch up on the story.

I was late to the Sharknado party, and I was so much happier before I arrived.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

We haven't been able to bring ourselves to re-watch some episodes for that reason.

Who's your favorite Doctor, @LadyCatherineDB? What about favorite companions?
    I think Tom Baker has to be my favorite doctor, @OurWildKingdom. My favorite companions as individuals are Leela and K9 because they're the most competent, but I like the episodes in which a group of companions travels with the doctor. I think it gives a better balance than when there is only one companion.
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards