Chit Chat

I'm proud of myself, tell me how you're proud of yourself!

I have been thinking about it for a while and I realized I'm underpaid. So I did some searching for average salary for my job title and experience and found out just how much I'm underpaid by. I sat down with my boss today, explained why I think I deserve more money and he and the office manager then talked about it and I negotiated myself a raise :) 

While I'm not getting the entire raise right now (I get 1/3 now and the other 2/3 in January or when a specific thing happens, which it absolutely will happen, just hopefully sooner rather than later now that I've got a personal stake in it, beyond the profit sharing) I feel really good. I've got raises before but this is the first time I've been firm and actually negotiated myself. I got exactly what I wanted and while I'd love more money I'm about where the average for my job is. 

I had to share and since I really can't brag too much about this to anyone but my mom and my husband I figured I share with you lovely people. 

Anyone do anything they're proud of recently? 

Re: I'm proud of myself, tell me how you're proud of yourself!

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Good for you!

Mmmm... not anything in particular that I can think of. I'm going for a run tonight?
  • I'm pround of myself for only eating ONE brownie and not the entire pan.  

That's pretty much it.  My life is so boring.
    No way in hell that would happen in my house.  Nope, nadda, never.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Congrats!!!!  That is an awesome and amazing story.  I've been given two "promotions" at work.  Neither one came with a raise and I was too chicken-s**t to ask for one.  But, then again, I'm lucky to still have my job.  Lots of people have been laid off at my company.  Definitely played into why I didn't ask the last go-round.

Speaking of layoffs, those are rife in the industry I work in.  I've been laid off 3x in the last 12 years...and just missed the guillotine at a 4th job by getting another job before it happened.  And am actually shocked I've still survived at my current job.

I decided a few years ago it was time to shape my own destiny instead of always worrying about the "next layoff".  I have now set up multiple streams of income, outside of my f/t job, and am still striving to increase those.  I'm not at a "take this job and shove it" place yet, but I will be there in two years at the most.

And THAT is one of the things I am most proud of in my life.  I research hard.  I work hard.  I've been creative.  I've overcome fear and uncertainty (though still need to work on that).  I've also had some luck.  And now I am almost there!

Besides the fact that I misread and thought you work in the rifle industry. . . . . . good for you!  What type of income streams are you referring too?  Extra jobs, investing?  Seems like a really smart move!
  • I have been thinking about it for a while and I realized I'm underpaid. So I did some searching for average salary for my job title and experience and found out just how much I'm underpaid by. I sat down with my boss today, explained why I think I deserve more money and he and the office manager then talked about it and I negotiated myself a raise :) 

While I'm not getting the entire raise right now (I get 1/3 now and the other 2/3 in January or when a specific thing happens, which it absolutely will happen, just hopefully sooner rather than later now that I've got a personal stake in it, beyond the profit sharing) I feel really good. I've got raises before but this is the first time I've been firm and actually negotiated myself. I got exactly what I wanted and while I'd love more money I'm about where the average for my job is. 

I had to share and since I really can't brag too much about this to anyone but my mom and my husband I figured I share with you lovely people. 

Anyone do anything they're proud of recently? 

I hope you went out for a drink, or a cupcake, or a something to celebrate. . . . that must be such a good feeling!
  • That's awesome! I have never negotiated a salary (I'm in my first full time job) or a raise. Looking back, I wish I had negotiated for a little more when I was hired.

• That's awesome @InLoveInQueens!  Better than looking for a new job, right?

I really don't have anything to be proud of.  I was lazy this week :(

• kaos16 said:

Congrats!!!!  That is an awesome and amazing story.  I've been given two "promotions" at work.  Neither one came with a raise and I was too chicken-s**t to ask for one.  But, then again, I'm lucky to still have my job.  Lots of people have been laid off at my company.  Definitely played into why I didn't ask the last go-round.

Speaking of layoffs, those are rife in the industry I work in.  I've been laid off 3x in the last 12 years...and just missed the guillotine at a 4th job by getting another job before it happened.  And am actually shocked I've still survived at my current job.

I decided a few years ago it was time to shape my own destiny instead of always worrying about the "next layoff".  I have now set up multiple streams of income, outside of my f/t job, and am still striving to increase those.  I'm not at a "take this job and shove it" place yet, but I will be there in two years at the most.

And THAT is one of the things I am most proud of in my life.  I research hard.  I work hard.  I've been creative.  I've overcome fear and uncertainty (though still need to work on that).  I've also had some luck.  And now I am almost there!

Besides the fact that I misread and thought you work in the rifle industry. . . . . . good for you!  What type of income streams are you referring too?  Extra jobs, investing?  Seems like a really smart move!

That would probably have been a better choice!  I'm sure it has more job security, lol.

The last time I was laid off, it was during the worst part of the latest depression/employment crisis.  It took me a YEAR to find my current job.  There were few opening to even send my resume to.  The blessing in disguise was I started also looking at the more random job categories on Craig's List.

I found the best part-time job ever through that.  I take pictures of hotel event boards.  Super flexible.  Flexible enough that I'm still doing it in my spare time, even with a f/t job.  Pays great for the time I spend.  Sometimes the pay can vary if they add/subtract hotels from my route.  But I'm currently making an extra $21K/year.

The first home I bought (and still live in) was a duplex, where I rent out the other side.   Since then, I've now added more rental properties to my portfolio.  This is the path that will eventually allow me to work for myself.

I've also been a mystery shopper for over 15 years.  Definitely nothing to retire on, lol.  I don't do it as much as I used to but, at least in my area, I can make at least an extra few hundred a month in fees if I'm trying.  And that doesn't even include the reimbursements for money that sometimes has to be spent.     

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I went out for dinner last night with my BFF, before going to see Phantom of the Opera.  I'm proud of myself because I only had 3 glasses of wine, instead of 4.
    Married 9.12.15
  • lyndausvi said:
    I'm pround of myself for only eating ONE brownie and not the entire pan.  

That's pretty much it.  My life is so boring.
    No way in hell that would happen in my house.  Nope, nadda, never.
    And now I'm very NOT proud of how I spelled "proud."  Yuck.  I can't believe I just noticed.  Thank goodness there's editing.
                            AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Two things for me. I'm more proud of my first due more than I am of myself. Yesterday was the biggest trainwreck of a shift. Our fireboat was out of service, and we were supposed to be able to pick it up at 11:00. Show up to get the boat, it's not ready. Once we finally got the boat tested and loaded up with the truck, the lieutenant and I jumped on the boat and the other firefighter took the utility. We got back to the dock and got a call from the utility saying that they just visualized an MVC and would be a while. Long story short, we ended up not seeing our firefighter until 8:00 last night and we only had two calls, both of which were minor. 
    The second one is that I just got my two years of service email and I also found out that I'm getting award (don't know what for though)!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Nice work on the raise!!  Good for you!!

I'm proud that I've made it through 2 days back at work and I'm still sober.  Kids arrive tomorrow though, so that may change

Have you had a drink yet?? :)
  • Today was brutal.  A discussion on appropriate language within the first 30 mins, grade 8 PE got a seating plan cos they were so loud and rude all class and then got yelled at by out Principal cos so many teachers had issues with them in the first 2 periods.  They're going to be hell this year.  Our 7's seem lovely though.  

No drinks yet, cos I was at the gym stunting for practice

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards