Wedding Etiquette Forum

Who does this?

We went with "No. of seats reserved in your honor" in the hope that no one would be rude enough to ignore both the specific names on the invitation and the pre-filled in number of people invited.

Nope.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Who does this?

• Haha...I don't know, because not only did she add an extra person, she didn't tell me the name of the added person.

I'm assuming Mystery Guest is her 9 year old. I haven't decided yet if it's a battle I'm willing to fight.
  • eileenrob said:
    I didn't have the "no. ofseats reserved.." line on my rsvp, but I did have a handful of guests rsvp with more people than who had been invited. I'm a wimp with confrontation/prefer to keep the peace, so I purposely chose a venue with room to accommodate extras, and I just let the additions attend.  But I couldn't help thinking how on earth people are rude enough to decide that their invitation isn't just for them and their spouse, but also for their OOT inlaws who will be in town the weekend of our wedding  :s  So frustrating! Good luck.
    This is pretty much how I feel. She's my cousin, and we didn't invite any of our cousin's children, so my only concern is the other cousins being offended that her kid is there and theirs aren't.
  • Thanks everybody. You're right. I'll address it with her.
  • We had to call a bunch of people this weekend to get their RSVP. We had two say they were bringing a guest when they weren't offered a plus one. They are each other's exes and weren't seeing anyone when the invitations were sent, but verbally told FI they were bringing someone. I just added a guest for each of them. We've had 13 no's so this won't hurt us, but it's still irritating when people make assumptions.
  • Jen4948 said:
    I agree. You need to tell this cousin that her invitation was only for her and her husband and that you can't accommodate any other guests.

If she threatens not to come if her kid isn't invited, I'd tell her, "I'm sorry to hear that. We'll miss you and John."
    My FI and I are having a child free wedding, and a few of my cousins made a big deal about not being able to bring their kids. I even had one that tried to use my own brother (who has no kids) guilt me into inviting her two boys. I was beyond annoyed. PP's are right - you'll just need to have a chat with her. It doesn't have to be a confrontation, but you will need to hold your ground. Best of luck! 
  • eileenrob said:
    I didn't have the "no. ofseats reserved.." line on my rsvp, but I did have a handful of guests rsvp with more people than who had been invited. I'm a wimp with confrontation/prefer to keep the peace, so I purposely chose a venue with room to accommodate extras, and I just let the additions attend.  But I couldn't help thinking how on earth people are rude enough to decide that their invitation isn't just for them and their spouse, but also for their OOT inlaws who will be in town the weekend of our wedding  :s  So frustrating! Good luck.
    Why the fuck shouldn't they? Being rude assholes gets them what they want. If you aren't going to stand up to them because ooooh, confrontation is just so scary! then you lose the right to complain about their behavior.
  • drglitter said:
    Update: I grew a backbone and dealt with the extra guest issue.

She said putting "3" there was a mistake and she meant to put "2" and didn't plan on bringing her child. Whether that's true, or she was embarassed and covering, issue resolved.

Thank you all for your advice. 
    I would try to give her the benefit of the doubt.  I just walked into a restaurant with my partner and a new friend the other day and firmly declared "two!" when the hostess asked how many for dinner.  Sometimes you are just habituated to a certain answer.
  • I just had one come back RSVP'ing for "1 or 2". This person was given a plus one, but how does this help. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Talking to a friend the other day and he mentioned how he "still needed to RSVP" (not due yet but this drives me nuts. Don't talk about it, just do it) and then he says "do I get a date?!!" He's definitely single and his invite was only addressed to him. I'm awkward so I made a lame joke about how dates aren't invited but girlfriends would be. "Oh great! I have two weeks to find a girlfriend then!" 

*rolls eyes* he's been single for three years, but yes, let's rush out a find a girlfriend just for our wedding. 
  • Ironring said:
    Talking to a friend the other day and he mentioned how he "still needed to RSVP" (not due yet but this drives me nuts. Don't talk about it, just do it) and then he says "do I get a date?!!" He's definitely single and his invite was only addressed to him. I'm awkward so I made a lame joke about how dates aren't invited but girlfriends would be. "Oh great! I have two weeks to find a girlfriend then!" 

*rolls eyes* he's been single for three years, but yes, let's rush out a find a girlfriend just for our wedding. 
    Sigh. Just tell him no!
  • @STARMOON44 besides being annoyed, I'm not concerned. Like I said, he's been single for many years and there's no one on the horizon for him as far I know. It was mostly just a stupid comment. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards