Chit Chat
Options

This week sucks

So most of you have read all the headaches over getting this place ready to be listed.

Last night the bulldog woke up with a bad cough.   Even though I'm not a mom to a human, I obviously have the mom gene and kept waking up with him.   DH of course, doesn't have the mom gene and slept though everything.  Even with the bulldog coughing RIGHT NEXT TO HIM, shaking the bed.  

How is that even possible????????

Anyway, call the vet.  Bad virus going around.   We have to take him "to the vet", but we are not allowed in the office.  We have to leave him in the car to be treated it's that contagious.   Have to take the other one too because they live together.  

Last week DH took a day off and we went to the "big city" (2 hours away) to go shopping. We put the dogs in day care.  

Now we are paying the price.   

Can this week be over yet?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

Re: This week sucks

• Options
    My mom gene totally kicks in with my cats, which is so weird given that I'll never be a mom. But, I get it. 

H and I lost a very good friend last night in a freak accident. We're very upset and shocked and not sure if we will be able to attend the funeral as it's out of state. :(

• Options
    @Jells2dot0 I'm so sorry for your loss!  I hope you find a way that works for you to find closure and say your goodbyes if you can't make the funeral. (hugs)

@lyndausvi poor pups!  That's the worst.  I think FI has the mom gene in our house though because I have yet to wake up to a cat vomiting!
  • Options
    @Jells2dot0         - I'm sorry for your loss.  :cry:

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I'm so sorry @Jells2dot0. All the hugs for you.

@lyndausvi I totally hear you on the mom gene. Although there have been times when I swear she seems to mother me when I am not feeling well. And I hate that owners like us are so careful about contagions when our dogs are sick but no one else seems to be. Our pup goes to daycare daily (and her daycare is also an animal hospital) - but I cannot even begin to count how many times she has gotten a cold or a stomach bug from sick dogs at school. It's so frustrating.
  • Options
    @lyndausvi DH and I are the same way. The smallest noise our dogs make, I'll hear it but I swear that man can sleep through a freight train. I wonder if that will change once baby is here. LOL. Hopefully they got your pups some meds?

@Jells2dot0 I am so sorry for your loss. I'm sure it makes it harder knowing you may not make it to the funeral. Hugs.

• Options
    @Jells2dot0, so sorry for your loss. 

@lyndausvi hope the pups are better. Sick puppies are almost as bad as sick kiddos.
  • Options
    I just started coughing.  Is this transferable to humans?   

Kidding, but I'm not feeling great right now.

• Options
    @Jells2dot0: I am so sorry for your loss.  Wishing peace to you and the rest of this person's friends and family.

@lyndausvi:  That sucks!  I hope your puppy feels better soon!

This week sucks for me, too.  My workplace has been sold to a new entity, and we all have to apply for our jobs.  We have been told that they intend to hire everyone, but we will all be on a 90 day probationary period and vacation/sick time accrual starts over at zero.  (We will be paid out on unused vacation days, but the timing may affect my ability to have the honeymoon I want next summer.)  My mentor is also leaving (voluntarily) as part of this shake-up. It took me 6 months to find this job, and even though it's been a year and a half I feel like I JUST managed to land something and now I am back on the hunt again in case this goes south.  Ugg.
  • Options
    I'm sorry SaintPaulGal.    :(

• Options
    Thanks for the kind thoughts. I feel awful for the family. The friend had been a part of my H's life for quite some time and we both worked with him for many years. We've had a few other losses in our lives recently and we're just heartbroken.  

• Options
    I am so sorry for your loss, @Jells2dot0 :(

@lyndausvi I totally get the mom gene with our dog... A few months ago, after being out in the yard (where he eats grass), he came in and kept licking the air (that's the best way I can think to explain it). I thought he had grass stuck in his throat, so I gave him a treat to see if it would dislodge. He kept doing it for about 15 minutes, and then I noticed his muzzle looked a little swollen, so I called my husband in a panic, not sure what to do. He said to call the vet, and they said to bring him in immediately (of course, that's what they always say). I was in sweatpants, at 6pm on a Saturday, but off to the 24-hour vet we went. They couldn't find grass in his throat, or a stinger from a bee, so we left 2 hours later with a cortisone shot and a steroid shot, with a $200 bill. And then a few weeks ago, the pup started sneezing NON-STOP for 15 minutes. I called my husband and made him turn around (he was driving to work), because I didn't want to take him to the emergency vet again for no reason. The sneezing eventually stopped after probably 15 more minutes, and H still gives me shit that I freaked out over sneezing. I'm a bit of a hypochondriac, and that extends to the dog too. God help me when this baby arrives.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @lyndausvi Weird!

Sunday Charlotte woke up hyperventilating in her sleep. It was 4am on a Sunday so I was freaking out- woke her up, put some cold washcloths on her chest, and she went back to sleep. Went to the vet in the afternoon who checked her over and said it was just an allergic reaction- probably to a  bug bite or sting.

Strange for both bulldogs to have weird breathing issues though, makes me wonder if she has what yours does.
  • Options

@lyndausvi I totally get the mom gene with our dog... A few months ago, after being out in the yard (where he eats grass), he came in and kept licking the air (that's the best way I can think to explain it). I thought he had grass stuck in his throat, so I gave him a treat to see if it would dislodge. He kept doing it for about 15 minutes, and then I noticed his muzzle looked a little swollen, so I called my husband in a panic, not sure what to do. He said to call the vet, and they said to bring him in immediately (of course, that's what they always say). I was in sweatpants, at 6pm on a Saturday, but off to the 24-hour vet we went. They couldn't find grass in his throat, or a stinger from a bee, so we left 2 hours later with a cortisone shot and a steroid shot, with a $200 bill. And then a few weeks ago, the pup started sneezing NON-STOP for 15 minutes. I called my husband and made him turn around (he was driving to work), because I didn't want to take him to the emergency vet again for no reason. The sneezing eventually stopped after probably 15 more minutes, and H still gives me shit that I freaked out over sneezing. I'm a bit of a hypochondriac, and that extends to the dog too. God help me when this baby arrives.
    My dog does this all the time.  We just attribute it to her being a "lick monster".  She is most likely to do it if she was licking one of us too much and we had told her to stop.  It's almost as if she can't control her urge to lick, but can't lick us, so she licks the air.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @short+sassy Monty does that when he gets lick-happy too, but this time it just went on and on and on... If his muzzle hadn't been swollen I would have let it play out (it was funny at first), but then I worried it was a bee sting. He had never been stung before (to my knowledge), and of course I jump straight to worrying about anaphylactic shock... Lesson learned, next time I think it's a bee sting, the vet said to just give him some benadryl. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

My dog does this all the time.  We just attribute it to her being a "lick monster".  She is most likely to do it if she was licking one of us too much and we had told her to stop.  It's almost as if she can't control her urge to lick, but can't lick us, so she licks the air.
    Yep - our dog licks the air as well. We call it "tasting the air" because it usually accompanies sniffing either something delicious we are cooking or sniffing for chipmunks and squirrels in our yard.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your pup @lyndausvi hope he feels better soon!

Hugs to you @Jells2dot0. I hope you and your H are able to find some closure.

@SaintPaulGal That sucks about your job! That would peeve me off to lose my vacation time accrual and "maybe" keep my job.

• Options
    I'm sorry for everyone having a rough week.   

I'm on travel and beat tired.    

DH is home and thinks he may have an ulcer.   At least thexpensive 2 you isn't waking me up?
  • Options
    I just learned that I need a CPAP machine to sleep.  Hm...do they make them for dogs?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Sounds like a lot of people are having shitty weeks.  Hugs to everyone who needs one

• Options
    ((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))) to all of you!
  • Options
    The bulldog has been given steroids. Still coughing though.

The other dog seems to be okay for now.  

I want to do one more 14er before it gets too cold.  The wife of one of DH's chefs said she will go with me on Monday.  I'm looking forward to that trip.  Granted she is half my age, but I think it will be a good trip.   Definitely something positive to look forward to doing.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards