Chit Chat
Options

Question about dyeing hair at home

edited September 2016 in Chit Chat
Quick question since I can't find a consistent answer by Googling- for any of you ladies who have experience dyeing you hair at home, how long do you need to wait between dyes? I recently dyed my hair from light blonde to medium brown and I'm loving the color but want to go just a little darker to further cover up some of the golden color that's still showing through. How long do I need to wait?

Re: Question about dyeing hair at home

• Options
    I have zero professional hair experience, but I had a section of my hair bleached for a while. It's usually very dark brown. When I decided I didn't want the bleached section anymore, I bought boxed dye in the color I usually used and did a couple applications I think maybe...2-3 weeks apart? I didn't notice any damage to my hair, and just made sure to condition it a little extra. 
  • Options
    Maybe do a glaze instead if you're concerned?

I think the main issue is not going many shades lighter at home but I don't think going darker is a big deal. I went darker and it was way more red than I wanted so I went darker the same day. Probably not the healthiest thing I could have done but I didn't experience any problems or notice a difference in my hair.

• Options
    I'd wait about a week and just make sure that you're really conditioning it well. Sleep with conditioner in if you can, or warm up some coconut oil and soak your hair with it and then put a shower cap on or wrap your head in saran wrap to seal in the heat. And then if you can take it, rinse with cold water, it'll seal the conditioner into your hair. 
    ... I've done many a bad self-dye job....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I haven't dyed my own hair since 6th grade (my mom was pisssssed). But to get rid of a golden color, I don't think it's necessarily color (dark to light), I think it's tone (cool to warm). From what I understand, there's something about balancing out brassiness with cooler tones. I'd be worried about layering dye boxes upon dye boxes and then having to go to a salon and paying buko bucks to fix it.

Maybe someone on here is a hairdresser and can explain it?
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Same as hair salon suggests, at least 6 weeks.
  • Options
    Thanks y'all! Okay it's good to know others have had to re-dye and it hasn't made their hair fall out or anything :P. I've been deep conditioning all week and my hair is generally really healthy, so I think I'm going to attempt the re-dye this weekend (which will be a week after the original dye).

@drid your suggestion about the coconut oil + shower cap is genius, definitely going to try that!

@southernbelle0915 that's a good point- honestly I think some of it is really just blonde hair showing through, I didn't leave the brown dye on the full recommended time because I got freaked out about it being too dark (haha, should have just followed instructions) but if it persists after re-dying I'm going to try a purple shampoo to eliminate brassiness and see if that helps!
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2016
    Your title made me pause.  I think you meant "dyeing"?  I thought you might be seriously ill since all that appears in the Index is "Question about dying...."
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    Your title made me pause.  I think you meant "dyeing"?  I thought you might be seriously ill since all that appears in the Index is "Question about dying...."
    Haha my bad! I'll fix it to avoid further confusion :).
  • Options
    A few months back my sister dyed her hair at home and hated it, I helped her dye it to a different color about 5 days later. Her hair was a little dry so I gave her the deep conditioner that I use and it helped a lot. Its only $6 bucks at target, its L'oreal Paris Advanced Haircare total repair 5 damage erasing balm.

• Options
    Thanks y'all, I re-dyed it last weekend and it turned out great! No notable damage to my hair and the color did exactly what I wanted it to. Thanks for all the suggestions!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards