Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Plus ones for wedding party

MCmeowMCmeow member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited September 2016 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
Hey, so I'm not sure what the general consensus is with this. We're on a tight budget so we're not giving plus one's to truly single guests. I did add plus ones to single wedding party members but my fiance doesn't like that idea. He doesn't like the idea of bringing strangers into the wedding and that they'll be alone during the ceremony and cocktail hour (We're both antisocial, so that would be a nightmare for us, but probably not for others).
Anyway, the only two single members on my side is my brother (Who of course knows everyone there), and my best friend (I've added her family to the invite and she knows my entire family and our group of friends is invited). Would you side eye them not getting a plus one? This seems like a gray area for me but I'm new to weddings so no clue...

Edit: the reasoning wouldn't just be my fiance's reasoning (Personally I think it's silly because most people aren't anti-social) but it would help us budget wise, if we can cut costs in any way without offending people.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Plus ones for wedding party

• Options
    You don't have to, but I agree that you really should. These are people you are honoring and if they want to bring someone with them, I think you should give them the option. 

We we did this and the truly single guests in the WP didn't choose to bring anyone, but I wanted them to feel comfortable doing so if they wanted. 
  • Options
    I agree that you should. You don't have to etiquette wise, but it's nice to do since the people in your wedding party are honored guests. 
    So there are two people on your side that are single, what about your FH's side. We are talking about a handful of extra people, I don't see how that would break the bank.

• Options
    It's a very nice gesture if you can.  One of my MOH's and my BM were single and both were invited with a plus one but they declined bc they knew so many people attending. It's safer to budget them with plus one's anyway, since for all you know they'll be in relationships by your invites going out anyway. 
  • Options
    I'm in the camp of 'nice if you can'.   Unless your reception and budget are really bare bones, two additional people shouldn't break the bank. 
  • Options
    MCmeowMCmeow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2016
    Yeah I completely agree with you guys. Thanks for the perspectives!

P.S: were your grooms also etiquette challenged? Ha, I mean I know most dudes aren't into researching wedding stuff so it can be frustrating but at least he's willing to learn when I learn. For a long time he was convinced it's ok to only invite one half of a married couple.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Not required, but I would.

2 people shouldn't break the bank. And if they do really know a lot of other people, they may not wish to bring a plus one anyway.
  • Options
    It's okay to invite people alone to a wedding (as long as they're not part of a social unit). In fact, weddings have traditionally been a favored way for single guests to meet potential partners, not least because the common friend/relative connection serves as a form of pre-vetting (and conduit for contact information, if necessary).

I would think this would be especially true for the wedding party, for all the reasons you mention.
  • Options
    Count me on team "You don't have to, but it would be nice to offer". I also think that I likely wouldn't bring a guest in either of their situations, and they would likely not either (having to entertain a friend may feel cumbersome, may put a lot of pressure on a "just started dating" situation, etc.) but it would make them feel nice to feel like a valued guest whose comforts were being prioritized.
  • Options
    Count me on team "You don't have to, but it would be nice to offer". I also think that I likely wouldn't bring a guest in either of their situations, and they would likely not either (having to entertain a friend may feel cumbersome, may put a lot of pressure on a "just started dating" situation, etc.) but it would make them feel nice to feel like a valued guest whose comforts were being prioritized.
    I don't understand this last sentiment. Especially as a member of the wedding party, I can't imagine dragging a virtual stranger to an event like this. And my comfort wouldn't be affected because I'd be separated from my "date" for large parts of the evening.
  • Options
    LtPowers said:
    I don't understand this last sentiment. Especially as a member of the wedding party, I can't imagine dragging a virtual stranger to an event like this. And my comfort wouldn't be affected because I'd be separated from my "date" for large parts of the evening.
    Unless you were in the wedding of someone who realized you shouldn't be separated from your date for large parts of the evening?
  • Options
    In our 6-hour wedding I can't see them being separated for more than an hour for the ceremony and photos.

But coincidentally my best friend just told me this morning she's "talking" to a guy. Which makes me really happy for her, and would make this plus one situation a lot more clear whether or not something comes of it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    I'm in the camp of 'nice if you can'.   Unless your reception and budget are really bare bones, two additional people shouldn't break the bank. 
    Yep.

Not sure when you wedding is, but if it's far out just add a plus one just in case they are in a relationship by the time your wedding rolls around.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    MCmeow said:
    Hey, so I'm not sure what the general consensus is with this. We're on a tight budget so we're not giving plus one's to truly single guests. I did add plus ones to single wedding party members but my fiance doesn't like that idea. He doesn't like the idea of bringing strangers into the wedding and that they'll be alone during the ceremony and cocktail hour (We're both antisocial, so that would be a nightmare for us, but probably not for others).
    Anyway, the only two single members on my side is my brother (Who of course knows everyone there), and my best friend (I've added her family to the invite and she knows my entire family and our group of friends is invited). Would you side eye them not getting a plus one? This seems like a gray area for me but I'm new to weddings so no clue...

Edit: the reasoning wouldn't just be my fiance's reasoning (Personally I think it's silly because most people aren't anti-social) but it would help us budget wise, if we can cut costs in any way without offending people.

I think it's not required, but really you should do it. We are talking two people here, and your bridal party members in particular have usually played a significant role. Your FI's "reasons" are just plain dumb. If the person they invite as a plus one hates the idea of being alone at a cocktail hour, they can just say no. And, in all likelihood if they are single and know a ton of people at the wedding, they probably won't bring anyone anyway. 
    Or you know, you could invite these two dates along with you to take the damn pictures so they aren't alone among strangers!

I'd offer them Plus Ones.  As others have said, they may actually be in relationships by the time your wedding rolls around anyways.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    scribe95 said:
    I'm amazed that adults can't be on their own for a few hours without being handheld and allowed to tag along for pictures. Jeez.
    Oh my God. It's not a matter of "can." It's a matter of "they shouldn't fucking have to because it's not a big deal just to have them if that's where they'll have more fun."
    This.  What's with the attitude of "OMGZ they can't be separated from their SOs for more than a few hours what's wrong with them?!" That's clearly not what anyone's saying. 

Formerly martha1818

• Options
    Yeah I'm confused of where this led to lol. I think the only person in the OP that had that sentiment is my FH and he already realized it's a non issue, hurray?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited October 2016
  • Options
    edited October 2016
  • Options
    Sorry but I have several friends that sleep around and I'm not dropping money on whoever they may be banging when they get the invite. 6 months or longer is what I consider long term. 
    Seriously @LauraLynn128?  That's your qualifier?

How about the person said that the relationship exists.   Because unless it's your relationship, it's not about what you consider long term.   Once the person in the relationship tells you that it matters that's all the information you need.   To do otherwise essentially tells your friends that you have better judgement than they do.   And well, by saying that you proved you don't. 
  • Options
    scribe95 said:
    We are only inviting 26 people to our wedding and do not have a wedding party. Around 6 of our guests are single. On our wedding website we included FAQs and one was "Can I bring a guest?" For the response we stated that spouses and significant others from long term relationships are welcome and to contact us about any specific situations. 
    Ugh. What's long-term? Don't judge someone's relationship. If they have a significant other then they should be invited. No caveats or justifications needed.
    @banana468 personally I think it should be common sense that you don't bring a plus one to a wedding unless it is a serious relationship but this is not common sense to everyone. 6 months is around what I figure but I have no real cut off. I am paying for my entire wedding and it is a small wedding. As I already stated, long term relationship guests and spouses are fine. Because my wedding is small I personally know everyone invited and I am well aware of who is in a long term relationship and who surfs tinder on the weekends. However, I stated that if someone wants to invite someone and they are not in a long term relationship or married, they can call me about it. I think that is fair. 
  • Options
    edited October 2016
  • Options
    edited October 2016
  • Options
    @LauraLynn128

Are there any guests invited to your wedding who have been in....say....a 2 month relationship? Or is it all long relationships vs. single and dating. I think we may be getting into semantics here and arguing over nothing.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards