Attire & Accessories Forum

Strapless dress in winter?

Hey everyone,

Originally I wanted a dress with sleeves, but those are hard to come by! I went ahead and bought this dress but now I'm a little worried I'll look ridiculous because we're getting married in the dead of winter January 7th!
Image result for nicole miller meme

Answers

• As long as you're not getting married outside in January (please don't), the strapless dress is fine.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Beautiful dress. Strapless is fine in winter, you may want/need something to cover your shoulders in and out of the venues. My sister did strapless, but had shoulder-cape thing made that was easy on and off. 
  • I was married in February and my dress was strapless.  I was fine running from the church to limo and limo to venue and the temperature was in the 20s...all that excited/nervous energy I guess.  I've seen a few other brides (in person and on fb/insta) who also go strapless in winter...just don't plan on spending much time outside.  Pretty dress!  The swirly detail kind of warms up the design.
  • Like others said, I don't see anything wrong with strapless assuming your wedding is indoors.  With that being said, I LOVE some of the cover-ups they have nowadays, so if you can afford one, I'd buy something  really pretty to wear between venues or just for the heck of it.  I imagine  you might be taking some photos outside?  

SaveSave
  • Agree with PPs. I got married in December and had a dress with 3 inch straps, so not much. I think strapless will be fine but you could get a shawl or bolero to have some sort of cover.

• My friend was married on Jan 4th and she wore a strapless gown.  We are in NJ and it was record breaking cold the week of the wedding!  She had a wrap that she wore while outside.  No problems with a strapless dress in the winter, many dresses are designed strapless nowadays. 

My dress was also strapless, but I always intended to add straps to the dress once it arrived.  We ordered extra fabric from the dress designer to accomplish this.

• vikinganna87vikinganna87 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2016
  • I was married in January and wore a strapless dress.

When you're inside, it doesn't really matter what dress you wear. (We found our venue got quite warm during the dance portion and lots of people would step out onto the verandah for a few mins throughout the night).

I did buy a very nice white thick pea coat and black leather gloves for the day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards