Wedding Woes
Options

Tuesday

Good morning, ladies!  How's it going?

Back from Chicago.  Man, I forgot how hard it is to fly with a little-little kid.  But we made it.  My grandma's party was awesome.  We had a good time, and she was so happy.  DH and the kids tried Polish food, and (mostly) liked it.  Took the kids to a couple of museums, spent some time with my dad and brother, it was nice.  Our AirBNB was great.  Even had dinner with a good friend of mine up there, which was fun, even though Wooz acted like I was leaving them on the front steps of an orphanage, and DS made a "babysitting" comment.  (I really thought I had trained him better.)  The promise of wine and good conversation got me through.  :)  We even got my mom to the party via FaceTime!  (I told DH she probably mingled more than she would have if she had been able to make it in-person--everyone loved passing her around.)

Now we are back, and gearing up for DS's party and my mom's birthday this weekend.  Trying not to freak out at the thought of flying these two to the UK next summer for my brother's wedding.  I think it will be a great experience overall, but now that I remember what it's like, the logistics are daunting.  Oh well, DS will be almost a year older.  If all else fails, there's Benadryl and Scotch.  (For me, not them.)

Re: Tuesday

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Thirty years ago benadryl and scotch would have been fine for both of you, @Heffalump

I'm exhausted. I didn't leave work until after the debate last night and I was back in the office by 8:30 this morning. How much coffee is too much coffee today? 

Also, can you have an hangover from adrenaline? I was anxious/nervous/a little terrified last night and it feels like I was up drinking. Which sadly, I was not able to partake in any debate night drinking games. 

• Options

I'm glad you had a good weekend, Heffa! We had great weather so this was a great weekend to come!

SSDD for me. Last night I had a ton of shit to do so I didn't even sit down until like 9 and then slept like shit. I'm trying not to use the sleeping pills I love so much but I'm 0/3 so far.

I did get the fitbit I wanted and that tells me that I was restless 56 times last night and awake six. As much as I love my dog, my next will not have such a short beak.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2016
    Your weekend looked so fun, Heffa!  :D  

I am in final prep mode for our vacation.  I'm STILL waiting to get a closing date on our refi.  I'm hoping they call me today.  I have this afternoon off to go to the lady parts doc.   

Since we are leaving the kids, I am definitely having a lot of anxiety about what 'could' go wrong (they're staying with my parents and will be on fall break.  Many fun things are being planned for them).  I remember feeling this way before we left the kiddo 10 years ago for our honeymoon.  We're just going to be so far away and for so long and 3:15am is the perfect time to think about it all.  I tried to ease my mind by playing Tetris on the iPad, but DefConn was in bed with me.  I woke him up with the light and he was all, "Is time to get up? Can we eat?"  Yeah, no kid.  Of course, neither of us wanted to wake up when it was time to get out of bed. 
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2016
    yes, @Heffalump, you chose a good weekend to come out here. 

Last night FI came home from work after being up for at least 36 hours so he fell asleep watching the debate with me.  I feel like he would have fell asleep even if he did have enough sleep beforehand.  Tonight I have a facial after work and then my friend and I are going to see "When the bough breaks" since it looks like a really cheesy lifetime movie on the big screen.  It's 1/2 off Tuesday's. I wouldn't pay full price for it.  
    edit: words

• Options
    My dad called last night to tell me my mother is in the hospital.  

I called her for the first time in about a month over the weekend, and I was shocked by the way she sounded on the phone.  She told me, when I asked if she was okay (because she sounded MILES away from it), that she has, in fact, been diagnosed with depression and anxiety, and is on medication to treat both.  It also sounds like her job is taking a toll on her physical and mental health, and from our conversation, it sounds like she's also under a lot of stress... but she's prone to hyperbole and is very tightly wound to begin with.  Not that I doubted her, but she's one of those people who just makes things harder on herself than it absolutely needs to be (if that makes any sense).  

Regardless, she didn't sound great, and we had a serious chat about how she needs to take charge of her health and either quit her job or make some changes somewhere else.

She admitted that she has had several lapses in memory/cognition over the last couple of weeks, and actually thinks she might have had a mini-stroke.  I don't get my obstinacy from just anyone, so she ignored my advice and ended up having another one of her mental lapses yesterday, got lost in a city she is intimately familiar with, and totaled her car.  No one is hurt, but it rattled her cage enough that she checked herself in to the hospital.  They are running a battery of tests and scans and things on her to see if there's an actual physical issue, but so far, there's been no news.

I'm trying not to think about it.  Honestly, I think it's stress, and I think it just finally got to her.  Butbutbutbutbut...

But now I'm staring down the fact that my parents are both in their 60's and I'm not prepared for any of it.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    @Heffalump  glad your trip was good. Hopefully your UK trip will be smooth also!

@charlotte989875  as long as your body can handle it, there is no 'too much coffee' lol

@ShesSoCold  Boo being restless :( I know you've got sleeping pills but have you tried "ZzzQuil" ? It doesn't work for me {but I can pass our pretty quick on gravol} but I've heard people using it and it working.

So last night we got home, got shit together and started moving things. Pretty much one room done and part of the another. Good progress since we had to do stuff. Ended up having to stop at Home Hardware for anchors so H could put up curtains and ended up buying a stool {*gulp* $30 stool!? fuuckkkkk!} but we'll need it later.

Got stuff some stuff put away, so we could reuse some bins. Like wine glasses, teas, towels, some mugs. I think we're going to need to figure out how to use the storage closet to our benefit because I'll be surprised if everything fits in our cupboards ....

We ended up stopping about 8pm because H wanted to show me the new John Oliver episode, and we were hungry. Throw pizza in oven and I am DONE for the night.

Tonight is more of the same, except I think we'll be doing more bags and bringing clothes also.
  • Options
    HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2016

@ShesSoCold and @CharmedPam, definitely--the weather was beautiful!  My kids are so southern, though--it was in the 50's when we left the townhouse yesterday a.m., and they were both complaining about how cold it was.  I'm like "Try waiting for the school bus when it's 5 degrees out and -15 wind chill."

Y'all, just for kicks I checked airfare on American for next July, and it is running $1500 apiece.  $6000 total.  :O  Luckily, I have tons of time to shop around.  We usually fly American if they're reasonable, since our miles are there (legacy of the old US Airways days, pre-merger), but for $6000 I think I can make an exception. 

• Options
    My dad called last night to tell me my mother is in the hospital.  

I called her for the first time in about a month over the weekend, and I was shocked by the way she sounded on the phone.  She told me, when I asked if she was okay (because she sounded MILES away from it), that she has, in fact, been diagnosed with depression and anxiety, and is on medication to treat both.  It also sounds like her job is taking a toll on her physical and mental health, and from our conversation, it sounds like she's also under a lot of stress... but she's prone to hyperbole and is very tightly wound to begin with.  Not that I doubted her, but she's one of those people who just makes things harder on herself than it absolutely needs to be (if that makes any sense).  

Regardless, she didn't sound great, and we had a serious chat about how she needs to take charge of her health and either quit her job or make some changes somewhere else.

She admitted that she has had several lapses in memory/cognition over the last couple of weeks, and actually thinks she might have had a mini-stroke.  I don't get my obstinacy from just anyone, so she ignored my advice and ended up having another one of her mental lapses yesterday, got lost in a city she is intimately familiar with, and totaled her car.  No one is hurt, but it rattled her cage enough that she checked herself in to the hospital.  They are running a battery of tests and scans and things on her to see if there's an actual physical issue, but so far, there's been no news.

I'm trying not to think about it.  Honestly, I think it's stress, and I think it just finally got to her.  Butbutbutbutbut...

But now I'm staring down the fact that my parents are both in their 60's and I'm not prepared for any of it.
    Lots of ((((hugs)))), @AtomicBlonde.  I hope your mom gets some answers soon and makes a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    @Heffalump, that sounds really high!  Is it prime tourist season?  I don't know much about season peaks.  I watch air fares for Dublin since I want to go and cheapair.com gives me some good deals every once and awhile.  Their email alerts aren't too overwhelming.  Good luck!

• Options
    @AtomicBlonde I'm sorry for the stress this is causing you, but based on your previous posts I'm so happy your mom is finally seeking medical health, both for her mental and potentially physically issues.  I know what you mean about aging parents/family members.   When my dad was in the hospital last year I thought it was the beginning of the end; but it scared him straight and now he's resilient and healthier than he's ever been.  Hopefully your mom is the same way.

@ShesSoCold I'm an insomniac too and I refuse to take medicine, but post surgery my sleep is so jacked up.  I finally tried sleeping in our bed for the first time and slept from 2-4 last night.  At 7 I got up and took 1/2 of a norco just so I could sleep.  It's the worst.

My doctor made an exception to the 2 week no work rule for a customer of mine who is on a tight deadline and needs to meet this week (Thursday).  The stipulation is no driving and no opening doors, so I told my boss he needs to pick me up.  Well, yesterday he says we need to meet beforehand, and can I come in tomorrow.  I was reluctant and explained the doctor just made a second exception so I could go to a funeral and didn't think it was a good idea but he persisted and finally I said I guess I could Uber in.  

Well, the more I thought about it, the more pissed I got and at 9pm last night I sent him an email that basically stated that I have thought about it, and don't think the trip in is worth jeopardizing my health because an infection or hematoma will set me back and require more time off work.  I included the attachments for everything he needs to review, and said we can talk about it via phone.  He hasn't responded yet.
  • Options
    Yesterday we took employees on a bowling outing. It was fun.   I even bowled pretty well.   The bowling ally was just renovated.  Their kitchen isn't open yet, but we saw the menu (since we are all food and beverage people the new owner was happy to show of the menu.)    OMG,so they sous vide their chicken then flash fry it.   I love fried chicken and can't wait till it opens to try it out.  

The annoying:

Ugh.    The carpet cleaners are coming today.    The washer repair guy is coming today.    The landlord has a potential buyer who is on us on when we will move out.  

Answer is we have paid until Oct 31.  We get the keys to the new place on Oct 3.  It's literally across the parking lot.  We are planning a slow move, but hey, if the landlord is willing to prorate and return some of last month's rent we will move earlier.

2 more showings tomorrow.

I seriously hate when a property is on the market.  Especially when it's not my own.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    @heffalump what museums did you go to? We're headed to Chicago this weekend and the weather looks rainy so I need some indoor options. I love the art museum and was sad to see it is only free on Thursdays to Illinois residents - it used to be free to anyone at certain times and I used to like to go during it.  The aquarium is on my list as I think H would like it but he isn't much into museums and I'm not sure what ones might be good (he has the attention span of a kid so any you went to might be good!). Museum of Science and Industry is my other idea.  
  • Options

I use a Walgreens OTC sleep aid and I LOVE IT. But I'm trying not to depend on it. I'm not a fan of the zzzzquil. Made me groggy.

@kvruns I LOVE THE AQUARIUM. The Field museum is fun too but will likely be a PITA on Sunday because there's a home Bears game. I think that affects the parking at the Shedd and the Planetarium too, FYI.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options

So sorry @AtomicBlonde. Sending you many hugs and prayers.

@Heffalump glad you had a great trip!

Nothing too new here. DH and I watched the debate last night and argued over whether Neapolitan ice cream is good or not (it isn't).

I mentioned a few weeks back that there's some shady stuff going on at my work, and it just keeps getting shadier. It's getting to the point where I'm having a hard time even convincing myself to come in in the mornings. Long story short, recently my boss has done some things that could be considered mortgage fraud (which is a felony) and is expecting all of us to lie to our compliance manager for him about it. Which I am obviously not going to do. But I also don't want to work somewhere where things like that are expected of me. Why the hell would I put my personal and professional reputation on the line for someone who is doing something illegal? No no no no no. Not happening.

*sigh* Back to the old job hunt drawing board. 

• Options
    All the hugs @AtomicBlonde. Glad your mom is seeking help, hopefully there is an easy, obvious solution to help her. 

FH wedding band should arrive today.
    I have a meeting with the DJ tomorrow. I am really excited to meet her and to get a lot of questions answered.
    Thursday, FH comes home.
    Saturday, I have my final dress fitting and it is our RSVP deadline. We are still waiting for the majority of the guestlist and I am afraid either the RSVPs or the actual invitations got lost in the mail. 

This shit is getting real. ;)
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    @heffalump what museums did you go to? We're headed to Chicago this weekend and the weather looks rainy so I need some indoor options. I love the art museum and was sad to see it is only free on Thursdays to Illinois residents - it used to be free to anyone at certain times and I used to like to go during it.  The aquarium is on my list as I think H would like it but he isn't much into museums and I'm not sure what ones might be good (he has the attention span of a kid so any you went to might be good!). Museum of Science and Industry is my other idea.  

We took the kids to the Field [Museum of Natural History] and the Shedd (Aquarium).  DH and I really wanted to do the Adler (Planetarium), especially since one of our early dates was there.  Unfortunately, with limited time (and kid stamina), it didn't happen, but that's a good one, too. 

The Field currently has a special exhibit of terracotta warriors from China, but the kids had zero interest.  Sue the T. rex is there, too.  The Field has a cool exhibit on Ancient Egypt, and a ton of animal dioramas that the kids loved.  Like, DS was literally running from one to the next, clapping with delight every time he saw another animal. 

I liked the Shedd.  It is a world class aquarium, and the kids love sea creatures, so it was good.  We also happen to live much closer to another great aquarium (the Georgia Aquarium) and visit a couple of times a year, plus we've been to the Shedd a ton.  So if I had had my way, we probably would have chosen something else.  (As aquariums go, I think I actually prefer the Georgia Aquarium.) However, we had been dragging the kids all over the place and meeting tons of people, and they really wanted to see the aquarium, so we made it happen. 

Love the Art Institute.  Didn't make it there on this trip.  Ditto for the Museum of Science and Industry.  There are also a ton of smaller but excellent museums that don't always get as much attention as the bigger ones, depending on what you and your DH are into: the Museum of Contemporary Art, Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum, DuSable Museum of African American History, Chicago History Museum, etc.  We only make it back every few years, so we tend to focus on the headliner attractions, but these others are great, too.

And ditto @ShesSoCold re: Bears home games.  The Shedd, Adler, and Field are all on one big campus that includes Soldier Field, so if you head down that way on game day, be prepared (and/or take public transit).       

@Heffalump, that sounds really high!  Is it prime tourist season?  I don't know much about season peaks.  I watch air fares for Dublin since I want to go and cheapair.com gives me some good deals every once and awhile.  Their email alerts aren't too overwhelming.  Good luck!

Summer is high season for Europe, but fortunately we have some time to bargain hunt.  In happier news, the bride's parents have completely booked out the venue and we're getting a great rate on the rooms.
  • Options
    I'm going to Ireland in March and got a great deal on flights leaving from New York for $560. I booked it as soon as I saw it, because I knew tickets would go fast. It's going to be chilly then, but I will bundle up.
  • Options
    thanks @shessocold we are going Thursday afternoon through Sunday. Most of our activities will be Thursday afternoon, Friday, and Saturday. Good to know about the game though, definitely staying away from that area on our way out
  • Options
    I'm going to Ireland in March and got a great deal on flights leaving from New York for $560. I booked it as soon as I saw it, because I knew tickets would go fast. It's going to be chilly then, but I will bundle up.
    That is so exciting!  Are you going with anyone?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Hugs to you and healing vibes to your Mom, @AtomicBlonde!

I can relate, @ShesSoCold. I slept maybe three decent hours last night; the rest was tossing and turning. Time to start taking melatonin again.

So excited for you, @NOLABridesmaid! I hear you about traveling with your Mom; my Mom and I get on each other's nerves within 48 hours. I could travel with my Dad with no problem, but Mom and I are too much alike.
  • Options

So sorry @AtomicBlonde. Sending you many hugs and prayers.

@Heffalump glad you had a great trip!

Nothing too new here. DH and I watched the debate last night and argued over whether Neapolitan ice cream is good or not (it isn't).

I mentioned a few weeks back that there's some shady stuff going on at my work, and it just keeps getting shadier. It's getting to the point where I'm having a hard time even convincing myself to come in in the mornings. Long story short, recently my boss has done some things that could be considered mortgage fraud (which is a felony) and is expecting all of us to lie to our compliance manager for him about it. Which I am obviously not going to do. But I also don't want to work somewhere where things like that are expected of me. Why the hell would I put my personal and professional reputation on the line for someone who is doing something illegal? No no no no no. Not happening.

*sigh* Back to the old job hunt drawing board. 

Holy shit! That's awful! Hope you find something better soon!
  • Options
    hugs @AtomicBlonde

This is one of my marathon weeks.  The weekend was completely filled so I couldn't even rest up for it.  Yesterday I had a ton of work, plus teaching a class, then straight to hosting card club.

Our bedroom sits over the garage.  This morning at 5 am I hear it going up and down and up and down and up and down...........for whatever reason it was stopping 1' before the ground and DH was just standing there putting it up an down before finally disengaging and going to work. 6am the dogs across the street started going nuts and never stopped.

I'm already tired from last night and now I'm trying to catch up on work and I have a 2 hr meeting tonight.  Blergh

And because I didn't have enough going on this week I volunteered to bake a bunch of shit for a fundraiser Saturday.
  • Options
    Yes, OWK. We last about 48 hours too, and then everything changes.
  • Options
    *vibes* to everyone with job fvckery going on.

@AtomicBlonde it's hard.  After my divorce, I seriously contemplated blowing this city.  I was talking to my mother about it over dinner and she got this really funny look on her face.  She basically asked me not to leave, b/c they need me.  That was really hard for her to admit.  Though I've kept a close eye on my father for years now b/c of his health/decline, I've always just assumed my mother would be fine until she just dropped dead.  We had a serious conversation at that point about some of her health/physical issues that she had downplayed.  Now, it almost feels like it's all I can see.  Big hugs to you.  It's hard to realize your parents are not only adults, but aging adults.

I've had to do a bunch of computer work today.  I'm also writing a statement in conjunction with K.  Her derby league, I think, is working up to kicking her out over her taking a knee at the national anthem.  

Other than that, SSDD only now with WINE!  (Hey, I'm unemployed and bored).
  • Options
    6fsn said:
    hugs @AtomicBlonde

This is one of my marathon weeks.  The weekend was completely filled so I couldn't even rest up for it.  Yesterday I had a ton of work, plus teaching a class, then straight to hosting card club.

Our bedroom sits over the garage.  This morning at 5 am I hear it going up and down and up and down and up and down...........for whatever reason it was stopping 1' before the ground and DH was just standing there putting it up an down before finally disengaging and going to work. 6am the dogs across the street started going nuts and never stopped.

I'm already tired from last night and now I'm trying to catch up on work and I have a 2 hr meeting tonight.  Blergh

And because I didn't have enough going on this week I volunteered to bake a bunch of shit for a fundraiser Saturday.

For some reason, it won't let me quote just a portion, but re: your garage door, are the sensors out of alignment?  Ours did the same thing a couple of weeks ago, and DH determined that that was the problem.  Tweaked them and it started behaving again.

Good luck with your marathon week.

• Options

Random -

My coworker says "jeepers" when she's upset. How does she even do that? How does she not swear when she's frustrated? Who are these people?

My other coworker is diabetic and says his doctor told him he can't eat any more bananas because of the sugar. I'm no doctor or nutritionist, but I'm pretty sure the several cokes he has per day have more sugar that bananas.

I think my fitbit subconsciously makes me swing my arms more when I walk because I want every step to be counted. Now I'm self-conscious about my walk.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards