Chit Chat

Catering Rant..

I really need to complain about my caterer. I could use a fresh perspective on if I'm being irrational, or if this really is a terrible experience. 

My FMIL found this company. A friend of hers used to work with them. We met with the lady, and the pricing was AMAZING. It's a buffet set up for $59.99/head. We were told the price included linens, china, silverware, 2 types of glasses, passed finger foods during cocktail hour, and a 2 tiered buttercream wedding cake. When we were making our decision, she told us that their pricing was going to go up by $5/head within that week. So we jumped on the good deal and booked her. This is long running company (20+ years) and the food we sampled was absolutely wonderful. 

We had a very unfortunate circumstance and a week or so after invites went out, we had to change the wedding venue. The new wedding venue is not convenient. It's an hour further away from the caterer. It's a 3rd and 4th floor walkup, instead of the original outdoor venue. When I contacted her to discuss the change, she was very kind and accommodating. She told me I would have to pay more for travel/set-up (which I completely understood). She then told me it would be too inconvenient and difficult for her staff to carry china due to the stairs (the kitchen is on the 4th floor, the ceremony/reception is on the 3rd). She told me that it would be better for her servers if we used plastic plates instead of china. She then told me the plates were nice, and looked similar to china. I asked if I could see one, and she told me she gets them from Costco, so I could go check them out if I wanted to before making a decision. I didn't think much of it, and figured I would check them out on my next visit. 

Lo and behold, a few days later, I get a revised invoice where I'm being charged $90 for 60 plastic dinner plates and 60 plastic dessert plates. I sent an email asking why in the world I was being charged for plastic plates when my package included the use of china. Further, the idea of using plastic for my wedding isn't the exciting for me. I was only considering the option to be kind to the servers who would be carrying the plates up and down stairs. 

Out of curiosity, I went to Costco and looked at the prices. Costco sells sets of 25 dinner and 25 dessert plates for $17. Which means she would only be spending $51 on these plastic plates for her own staff's convenience, but then charging me $90. 

When I brought this up to her, she was very condescending telling me it wasn't for her staff's convenience and that I needed to watch my attitude. She even indicated that she would have preferred to cancel the contract rather than work in my selected venue. Mind you, my exact wording my email to her was: "I don't understand why I'm paying extra for plastic plates, when my package includes the use of china. I would prefer the china, but I was considering the plastic plates because you indicated it would be more convenient for the staff." 

Instead of going to war with her, I just told her I'd provide the plastic plates myself. I also told her I wasn't trying to be rude, I was just shocked that I was being upcharged on plastic plates. I'm still a bit shocked that all this drama happened over $51 considering I'm paying her $5k for the entire event. 

Fast forward to yesterday. I called asking about when I could pick up the linens. She told me to email her the number of tables I would need linens for. In my email, I asked her if my package included linens for 3 cocktail tables and 2 black linens for the bar/dj. She responded saying they would be extra, and did I want her to order them. I responded within two hours saying no. If they weren't included, I didn't really need them. 

Well... Today I get an email saying she placed the order for the extra linens and that it was too late for her to cancel the order. So I'm being charged close to $125 for linens that I did not need. 

Am I being a bridezilla? I was so grateful she was willing to change venues, but it's just been one thing after another with her. I was fine with additional charges for the stairs/travel time. But I'm so confused at what what I feel is a lack of professionalism. 

Re: Catering Rant..

• I really need to complain about my caterer. I could use a fresh perspective on if I'm being irrational, or if this really is a terrible experience. 

My FMIL found this company. A friend of hers used to work with them. We met with the lady, and the pricing was AMAZING. It's a buffet set up for $59.99/head. We were told the price included linens, china, silverware, 2 types of glasses, passed finger foods during cocktail hour, and a 2 tiered buttercream wedding cake. When we were making our decision, she told us that their pricing was going to go up by $5/head within that week. So we jumped on the good deal and booked her. This is long running company (20+ years) and the food we sampled was absolutely wonderful. 

We had a very unfortunate circumstance and a week or so after invites went out, we had to change the wedding venue. The new wedding venue is not convenient. It's an hour further away from the caterer. It's a 3rd and 4th floor walkup, instead of the original outdoor venue. When I contacted her to discuss the change, she was very kind and accommodating. She told me I would have to pay more for travel/set-up (which I completely understood). She then told me it would be too inconvenient and difficult for her staff to carry china due to the stairs (the kitchen is on the 4th floor, the ceremony/reception is on the 3rd). She told me that it would be better for her servers if we used plastic plates instead of china. She then told me the plates were nice, and looked similar to china. I asked if I could see one, and she told me she gets them from Costco, so I could go check them out if I wanted to before making a decision. I didn't think much of it, and figured I would check them out on my next visit. 

Lo and behold, a few days later, I get a revised invoice where I'm being charged $90 for 60 plastic dinner plates and 60 plastic dessert plates. I sent an email asking why in the world I was being charged for plastic plates when my package included the use of china. Further, the idea of using plastic for my wedding isn't the exciting for me. I was only considering the option to be kind to the servers who would be carrying the plates up and down stairs. 

Out of curiosity, I went to Costco and looked at the prices. Costco sells sets of 25 dinner and 25 dessert plates for $17. Which means she would only be spending $51 on these plastic plates for her own staff's convenience, but then charging me $90. 

When I brought this up to her, she was very condescending telling me it wasn't for her staff's convenience and that I needed to watch my attitude. She even indicated that she would have preferred to cancel the contract rather than work in my selected venue. Mind you, my exact wording my email to her was: "I don't understand why I'm paying extra for plastic plates, when my package includes the use of china. I would prefer the china, but I was considering the plastic plates because you indicated it would be more convenient for the staff." 

Instead of going to war with her, I just told her I'd provide the plastic plates myself. I also told her I wasn't trying to be rude, I was just shocked that I was being upcharged on plastic plates. I'm still a bit shocked that all this drama happened over $51 considering I'm paying her $5k for the entire event. 

Fast forward to yesterday. I called asking about when I could pick up the linens. She told me to email her the number of tables I would need linens for. In my email, I asked her if my package included linens for 3 cocktail tables and 2 black linens for the bar/dj. She responded saying they would be extra, and did I want her to order them. I responded within two hours saying no. If they weren't included, I didn't really need them. 

Well... Today I get an email saying she placed the order for the extra linens and that it was too late for her to cancel the order. So I'm being charged close to $125 for linens that I did not need. 

Am I being a bridezilla? I was so grateful she was willing to change venues, but it's just been one thing after another with her. I was fine with additional charges for the stairs/travel time. But I'm so confused at what what I feel is a lack of professionalism. 

It's time to pull out the contract and go over it.  Explain what you were expecting when you signed it and she is not sticking to the contract.  You know the contract was changed slightly due to the farther distance, etc., but it also seems like she is now trying to nickel and dime you.
  • I don't think it is unreasonable for you to feel frustrated about this. I agree with @OliveOilsMom that you need to go over your contract and see if she is going against it. I don't think that you should have to pay for the plasticware, but there may be somewhere in your contract that states it is up to you to pay for that if china is not used.

I will say, though, she absolutely should not have ordered linens that cost extra without hearing from you first.

• I've double checked the contract several times. It says nothing about plastic plates or what happens if china is not usable. I did some research (because I'm a nerd and a lawyer), and I discovered that in these types of contract, a portion of the amount paid covers services, while another percentage covers the use of the rentals (such as china). So, legally, she should have applied a credit to my account equal to the portion of the invoice that related to the use of the china. I assume that if that percentage wasn't enough to cover the cost of the plastic plates, I would be liable for the remainder.

While that makes sense to me, I felt very restricted in what I was able to say. We were about a month out when the plastic plate debacle happened. And I was worried that she would cancel the contract and possibly refuse to refund my deposit. Even though that would have been illegal as well, it would have destroyed my catering budget and made it very difficult to find a replacement in that short of time and money. So I decided to bite the bullet and get the plastic plates on my own. 

On the good side, I was able to get decent plastic plates that actually match the theme of the wedding. And it only put me out $60. So that wasn't a terrible loss. 

As for the linens.. I just can't fathom why in the world she would place an order that I hadn't approved. 
  •  

As for the linens.. I just can't fathom why in the world she would place an order that I hadn't approved. 

STUCK: 

Those linens come home with you, right? 
  • It sounds to me like her attitude has turned unprofessional and I agree with you on the linens. 

However, her China is likely stock whereas the plastic needs to be purchased and cannot be reused. She could have waived the additional cost of course since its minimal. However she runs a for profit business; of course she's going to mark up the cost and not pass it on at cost or less.

While its kind of you to pass on the China, don't underestimate how much additional work this new venue still causes. They have your entire meal, kitchen gear, catering dishes and tools, decorations, trays and garbage to now bring up and then down four flights of stairs. Are they providing the bar too?  Wine cases are a bitch. 

Finally, how many people are you inviting? You'll need twice the amount of plates/flatware as people for a buffet so if you're planning 50 plates for 50 people, that's your bigger problem IMO. 
    I would have understood if she offered to split the cost, since a portion of what I paid did go for the rental of the china. But she was just nasty about it.

I have 150 dinner plates and 150 dessert plates. We have 64 guests. I would hope that'd be enough? 
  • kvruns said:

STUCK: 

Those linens come home with you, right? 
    Rentals. So no.
  • It sounds to me like her attitude has turned unprofessional and I agree with you on the linens. 

However, her China is likely stock whereas the plastic needs to be purchased and cannot be reused. She could have waived the additional cost of course since its minimal. However she runs a for profit business; of course she's going to mark up the cost and not pass it on at cost or less.

While its kind of you to pass on the China, don't underestimate how much additional work this new venue still causes. They have your entire meal, kitchen gear, catering dishes and tools, decorations, trays and garbage to now bring up and then down four flights of stairs. Are they providing the bar too?  Wine cases are a bitch. 

Finally, how many people are you inviting? You'll need twice the amount of plates/flatware as people for a buffet so if you're planning 50 plates for 50 people, that's your bigger problem IMO. 
    They are not handling the bar. Nor are they carrying up the items. I offered to hire workers to help carry up and down all the equipment for them. My offer was out of kindness and happened before she became unprofessional with me. I was trying to make the process as easy as possible due to the venue change. The workers will have to carry down the food for the buffet and then the water pitchers. But that should be all. And I agreed to pay a higher gratuity and hire an extra server to make it easier on them. 
  • Legally, you're lucky she didn't cancel your contract when you moved your wedding a hour away and four flights up. Stop lawyering your own wedding. 
  • MeetTheLarasMeetTheLaras member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Answer First Comment
    edited September 2016
    Legally, you're lucky she didn't cancel your contract when you moved your wedding a hour away and four flights up. Stop lawyering your own wedding. 
    Had I known these difficulties would arise, I would have cancelled the contract myself when the venue changed. I only had paid the initial deposit, and I could have easily moved forward without that amount. The issues didn't arise until after I had already paid over 75% and we were a month away. 

As for lawyering my own wedding, I didn't even bring up the legal aspects to her when talking with her. I usually try to avoid springing law on people in my day to day life. It's not a fun thing to do. I only brought up the legal argument here, because PP's brought up reading the contract. 

Also, perhaps to some people, $90 here and $125 there don't seem like much. But with the unexpected venue change and my FFIL inviting 6 guests without letting us know, I'm scraping the bottom of the reserve budget. And I can't afford to be nickeled and dimed. 
  • This catering company is charging me almost a thousand dollars more due to the venue change. I think I've paid my fair share for any inconvenience it may be causing. I'm not complaining about any of those charges. I'm venting about the nickel and diming and the unprofessionalism. 
    I don't think you're being a bridezilla and I agree that she's nickle and diming you now.  Probably out of spite for having go upstairs and farther.  She probably should've just said she couldn't do the venue instead of giving you attitude.  Maybe she only kept the contract since she's your FMIL's friend?   It sucks that the venue change was so last minute, your hands are really tied.  Good luck!
  • eileenrob said:
    This catering company is charging me almost a thousand dollars more due to the venue change. I think I've paid my fair share for any inconvenience it may be causing. I'm not complaining about any of those charges. I'm venting about the nickel and diming and the unprofessionalism. 
    I don't think you're being a bridezilla and I agree that she's nickle and diming you now.  Probably out of spite for having go upstairs and farther.  She probably should've just said she couldn't do the venue instead of giving you attitude.  Maybe she only kept the contract since she's your FMIL's friend?   It sucks that the venue change was so last minute, your hands are really tied.  Good luck!
    I feel like I'm being crazy, because all these interactions are driving me bonkers and it's over such a small amount of money.

And yeah, my FMIL is friends with a former employee of this catering company. I've only heard great things from reviews. But my experience has not been as great. My guess is she didn't want to refund the deposit and maybe now regrets that decision. I knew the distance wouldn't be a problem (they advertise they cover the entire state, and I'm still in state), but I guess the stairs really threw a wrench into things. 
  • I have no advice but just sympathy. Between your FMIL recommending this company and FFIL inviting extra guests, your inlaws have really resulted in some extra headaches (innocently I'm sure). 
  • Ironring said:
    I have no advice but just sympathy. Between your FMIL recommending this company and FFIL inviting extra guests, your inlaws have really resulted in some extra headaches (innocently I'm sure). 
    Yeah.. it's definitely been a wild ride. Four more days, and then I can say it was all worth it. 
  • I totally sympathize with you. I know not every company is the same but I worked for a catering company in an old 4 story theater and there were many an event that I was hiking crates of china, boxes of wine, etc. up a couple flights of stairs. If we changed anything to be for our servers' convenience and comfort with the client's approval, they wouldn't be charged for that change. She had the opportunity to cancel the contract but chose not to and I think her current attitude is showing her regret. 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2016
    You hired your caterer for one scenario.  You then changed the entire location on her, which meant a lot more work for her employees.  She probably banged her head against the wall when you delivered the news.
    Should you pay for disposable plates?  Yes.  Should you pay for linens that she has to purchase just for your new location?  Yes.  Should she be snarky about it?  No, but I can see her side of it.

I once had a client hire me to play the organ at a church with a beautiful pipe organ.  She then changes her mind and wanted to be married in an historic chapel, 25 miles away.  I agreed to play at her second location, even though it was inconvenient and I was not paid for mileage..
    There was no organ at the new location.  They had a cheap electric keyboard from Walmart attaches to speakers.  (Yes, really!)  I did my best.  The bride then had the nerve to complain about my performance, even though she was the one who decided to get married in a chapel with no real organ!  She also wanted bells to be rung on her exit.  Guess what?  No bells at that chapel.  (I later found out that after changing her location, Bride asked two other organists, trying to find someone who would do it cheaper.  They both turned her down flat.  Yeah, we musicians do know each other.)
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • edited September 2016
    banana468 said:
    CMGragain said:
    You hired your caterer for one scenario.  You then changed the entire location on her, which meant a lot more work for her employees.  She probably banged her head against the wall when you delivered the news.
    Should you pay for disposable plates?  Yes.  Should you pay for linens that she has to purchase just for your new location?  Yes.  Should she be snarky about it?  No, but I can see her side of it.

I once had a client hire me to play the organ at a church with a beautiful pipe organ.  She then changes her mind and wanted to be married in an historic chapel, 25 miles away.  I agreed to play at her second location, even though it was inconvenient and I was not paid for mileage..
    There was no organ at the new location.  They had a cheap electric keyboard from Walmart attaches to speakers.  (Yes, really!)  I did my best.  The bride then had the nerve to complain about my performance, even though she was the one who decided to get married in a chapel with no real organ!  She also wanted bells to be rung on her exit.  Guess what?  No bells at that chapel.  (I later found out that after changing her location, Bride asked two other organists, trying to find someone who would do it cheaper.  They both turned her down flat.  Yeah, we musicians do know each other.)
    But the caterer advertises a full state area for service.   

If this was too much she should have said no.   
    She's still meeting that, just charging more, which would probably would have been in the original quote. For my catering gigs I'm not paid mileage if the event is within x mile perimeter of where the company is located. I get mileage reimbursement for anything outside of that (and parking when applicable). That reimbursement cost is calculated  into the cost to the client. This is my second company with the same policy. 

The snark is wrong and uncalled for. Is working on the fourth floor a PITA, yes. They chose to keep the gig and need to be professional about it. I wouldn't be surprised if she's having a hard time staffing the day and passing along her frustration. Still unprofessional. 

@lulawife youre a better person than I am because I would be pissed if I showed up and had to carry everything up flights up of stairs and still be expected to have the stamina and muscle to carry trays of champagne or apps. I also think you didn't think about staff hours. If the company traditionally charges for 2 hours of set up and everything has to be hand carried to a difficult location, the client was probably charged for 3 or more hours of set up per staff to allocate for that time spent hauling the equipment. If not, that was a poorly quoted job.

ETA:  I feel for you and can see why this is stressful @MeetTheLaras , I just don't believe you're being nickled and dimed. All of these changes so close to the day aren't fun but at least you're almost there. 
  • I love how people have misconceptions about lawyers. A lot of young lawyers make less than a manager at Kohls. And definitely less than the $25/hr you made catering. So.. I don't think we should attack an entire profession based off what you see on TV. 

And again, I repeat, I completely 100% was happy that she agreed to the new venue. I understand additional charges and a revised invoice. Never did I complain about any of those things. I suppose my main peeve with the plates was that she suggested them on the phone, and never once indicated it would be an additional charge. It felt very underhanded. Had she told me when we were having a discussion about them that they would be extra, I likely would have taken the plastic, but I wouldn't have felt like she was trying to be dishonest. From our original conversation, I had no idea at all that it wasn't going to be included. So it was more the shock and feeling of dishonesty that bothered me. 
  • But in all, it looks like I was too hard on her over the plastic plates. I can understand that. 

Thanks for listening to my venting!
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2016
    I love how people have misconceptions about lawyers. A lot of young lawyers make less than a manager at Kohls. And definitely less than the $25/hr you made catering. So.. I don't think we should attack an entire profession based off what you see on TV. 

And again, I repeat, I completely 100% was happy that she agreed to the new venue. I understand additional charges and a revised invoice. Never did I complain about any of those things. I suppose my main peeve with the plates was that she suggested them on the phone, and never once indicated it would be an additional charge. It felt very underhanded. Had she told me when we were having a discussion about them that they would be extra, I likely would have taken the plastic, but I wouldn't have felt like she was trying to be dishonest. From our original conversation, I had no idea at all that it wasn't going to be included. So it was more the shock and feeling of dishonesty that bothered me. 
    Umm, I'm not sure why you think I think lawyers make a lot of money.  I said the industry itself is known for nickel and diming clients.  

And BTW my opinion based on having to hire a lawyer or 2 in my lifetime. Not what I've seen on TV.

If they pay their lawyers low salaries, that is a whole another issue.  

How is it dishonest?  You contacted her with the venue change.  She gave you some quotes verbal and then a few days later gave you the rest written on an invoice.   At that time you have the ability to negotiate (which you did).    

Being dishonest would have been giving you the invoice after the event.   That did not happen here.   She seems to have been pretty upfront about the costs, even if some of them were a few days delayed.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
    edited September 2016
    lyndausvi said:
    I love how people have misconceptions about lawyers. A lot of young lawyers make less than a manager at Kohls. And definitely less than the $25/hr you made catering. So.. I don't think we should attack an entire profession based off what you see on TV. 

Umm, I'm not sure why you think I think lawyers make a lot of money.  I said the industry itself is known for nickel and diming clients.  

And BTW my opinion based on having to hire a lawyer or 2 in my lifetime. Not what I've seen on TV.

If they pay their lawyers low salaries, that is a whole another issue.  

How is it dishonest?  You contacted her with the venue change.  She gave you some quotes verbal and then a few days later gave you the rest written on an invoice.   At that time you have the ability to negotiate (which you did).    

Being dishonest would have been giving you the invoice after the event.   That did not happen here.   She seems to have been pretty upfront about the costs, even if some of them were a few days delayed.
    Then we just have different expectations for interacting on a professional level. If I tell a client that it would be more convenient for me and my colleagues to change a term in the agreement and at that time, I knew it would cost my client additional money, but failed to inform them until several days later. I would consider myself rude for interacting that way. When something costs extra, it's customary (at least in my opinion and experience) to be upfront about the costs. Not just put it on the invoice without making any mention of it. Especially if it's for my convenience.

If you disagree, fine. I still think it's rude and dishonest. I will acknowledge that I was likely too harsh in my criticism of the caterer on this point. Still correct on the linens though. 
    edited September 2016
    Also, I'm not here to defend my profession. I only brought it up to explain that I can get to the "legal" answer. But that's not always the right answer. And I needed to vent/get different perspectives. Didn't really expect to be the punching bag for people's bad experiences with lawyers. 

Edited for words.
  • Also, I'm not here to defend my profession. I only brought it up to explain that I can get to the "legal" answer. But that's not always the right answer. And I needed to vent/get different perspectives. Didn't really expect to be the punching bag for everyone's bad experiences with lawyers. 
    If it makes you feel better, my business lawyer was one of my favorite people ever. However, it did sting a little when my attorney took 50%+ of my auto accident settlement, but it was likely more than I would have gotten on my own. 

Also, I am having some issues with my caterer as well. I am glad you got them all hashed out before your big day. Now breathe and have fun!
  • How hard is it to understand it might take a few days to gather up all the information needed to figure out the additional costs?

Catering managers often get additions/changes to an event.  They do not always know the prices of everything being added/changed so they will gather the information.  Sometimes it takes a few days, especially if they are getting information from others.   I.E going to Costco to see the price of plates.    Sometimes the costs are more than they originally thought and need to pass that on to the client.

They revise the BEO (banquet event order) and then pass it on the client.  

The client then decides if they approve the changes, negotiate, make more changes, etc.     It's not unusual for there to be a lot of back and forth before the BEO becomes final.

This is pretty standard way of operating an event. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    How hard is it to understand it might take a few days to gather up all the information needed to figure out the additional costs?

Catering managers often get additions/changes to an event.  They do not always know the prices of everything being added/changed so they will gather the information.  Sometimes it takes a few days, especially if they are getting information from others.   I.E going to Costco to see the price of plates.    Sometimes the costs are more than they originally thought and need to pass that on to the client.

They revise the BEO (banquet event order) and then pass it on the client.  

The client then decides if they approve the changes, negotiate, make more changes, etc.     It's not unusual for there to be a lot of back and forth before the BEO becomes final.

This is pretty standard way of operating an event. 
    All of this....what do you think happens when there's a change the day of, or during the event?  Is the coordinator supposed to know off the top of their head how that change will effect the cost?  No, it's reflected in the invoice. Otherwise, I'd round up every time in a big way.

I have worked events where the client has provided the liquor and ran out of something and asked us to get more. Should I warn them that it will cost money?  No, they're aware. Should we charge them cost for that?  No, there are expenses attributed to that run and overhead costs to maintaining a business that should be applied to everything.   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards