Snarky Brides
Options

"Wedding trends that need to stop right now"

http://offbeat.topix.com/slideshow/17677?utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=17677&utm_term=NAATKK7668TSHF3C

I'm pretty sure there are a lot more than 23 of these. And clearly whoever wrote this HATES doughnuts.

Thoughts?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: "Wedding trends that need to stop right now"

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2016
    I agree with every single one of these, and especially the one about the wedding dress that costs more than a car!

Last night DH took me to Outback Steakhouse.  I ordered a rum punch drink and it came in a Mason jar!  I laughed out loud!  The manager said, "Oh, but it's trendy!"  I replied, "Maybe ten years ago."
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I don't get the doughnut and cupcake hate, and maybe I'm too cheesy, but I don't mind rhyming signs (as long as they're not soliciting cash or requesting an unplugged ceremony). I'm definitely on board with losing a lot of the others. I especially hate the "Last Chance to Run"-type signs.

ETA: And yes, I didn't count, but I'm positive that was more than 23.
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    I agree with every single one of these, and especially the one about the wedding dress that costs more than a car!

Last night DH took me to Outback Steakhouse.  I ordered a rum punch drink and it came in a Mason jar!  I laughed out loud!  The manager said, "Oh, but it's trendy!"  I replied, "Maybe ten years ago."
    Last time I was served a beverage (Kool-Aid, FYI) in a Mason jar was in a Southern fusion restaurant, where it sort of made sense.
  • Options
    Not just donuts, but this author hates all desert; candy, cakes, shooters, cupcakes. 

I don't hate all of these, particularly the ones that have nothing to do with me like attire. I'm also guilty of a couple like Pachabels and the long greenery centerpieces. 
  • Options
    I hate mason jars. Unreasonably and with a passion. 

I despise going to the pub, ordering a pint of beer and receiving a bloody jam jar with a handle. 

The one wedding venue we have looked at so far mentioned that they had this fun thing they do for the craft beer. Serve it in mason jars! My partner laughed later as he saw my forced smile and "oh, that's unique!" in response to this. 

Naked cakes look cool imo. Chocolate fountains are the worst, especially if I have to clean it. 
  • Options
    What about the photo of the cake smashing? Thats a no-no but "place your bets" bride vs. groom jars as a honeyfund? wtf

• Options
    Boo to who wrote this for candy bar! We had a complimentary one and people loved it.

Also depending on the person, I think personalized ways of asking to be WP is nice :)
  • Options
    Also side eyeing about the donuts and cupcakes. Does this person hate sweet food?
  • Options

Also depending on the person, I think personalized ways of asking to be WP is nice :)
    In theory, I like the idea of that (definitely just called and ask though). In reality it usually just seems to be a social media AW move than anything actually genuine. 
  • Options
    Also, who cares what I wear on my feet?
  • Options
    Ironring said:
    Also, who cares what I wear on my feet?
    Pinterest photo shoots care very deeply about this. 
    You got me there. As a guest, though, no one cares. I wanted to be comfortable so I wore Chucks. They were fabulous floral wedges.
  • Options
    I do think Pachabel's Canon is played-out, but it was Trans-Siberian Orchestra that ruined it for me, not weddings. (I love TSO, but the terrestrial radio stations around here think that "Christmas Canon" is their only song. So grateful for SiriusXM!)
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited September 2016
    So no chalkboard sign whatsoever.  Got it.  I don't think all of these are bad...but I agree with some.  I also hate the last chance to run things. I see that damn wedding cake topper a lot of the bride dragging the groom and loathe it.  Great way to start a marriage.  I'm pretty sure if FI didn't want to marry me, he wouldn't have asked me.

By the way, I originally wanted to walk down the aisle to Canon in D - but the babpiper we hired doesn't know it.  I went with Highland Cathedral instead.  Both, I'm sure, are overly played but I think both are pretty.

edit words

• Options
    This person really seems to hate donuts and most desserts. The only one of the food issues I agree with is the naked cake thing (I love frosting).

But I agree with most of the non-food items on that list.
  • Options
    Not just donuts, but this author hates all desert; candy, cakes, shooters, cupcakes. 

I don't hate all of these, particularly the ones that have nothing to do with me like attire. I'm also guilty of a couple like Pachabels and the long greenery centerpieces. 
    The hatred is not limited to dessert. The author also dislikes fruit disguised as dessert. I wonder whether that means couples should not serve any type of dessert or only traditional, white tiered cakes.
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse
  • Options

The hatred is not limited to dessert. The author also dislikes fruit disguised as dessert. I wonder whether that means couples should not serve any type of dessert or only traditional, white tiered cakes.
    I do understand the dislike of grey and metallic cakes. They are unsettling-looking. Naked cakes are all right, but the best part of cake is frosting!
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited October 2016
    I think donuts are OK at a brunch reception, but put them on a tray, not the wall!
    I must have played Pachelbel's Canon in D 500 times.
    ...and you all know that I hate Chucks at a wedding.  JMHO.

If I added a hate to the list, it would be sleezy DJs with tired, suggestive jokes and too much volume.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    A few items I did NOT agree with. Nothing wrong with fruit, donuts, cupcakes, candy bars or naked cake. I would happily consume all of them, and they do nothing to negatively affect the guests' comfort.

Most of what I took away from the post, was don't pick something as part of your food/theme/decor unless it's something that actually relates to you as a couple. For example.... barns and cowboy boots. Do you actually live on a farm? Do you wear cowboy boots in your daily life? Do you own animals or ride horses? If so- go for it! If not.... whyyyyyy?

The rusty watering cans made me laugh. "Girl, you've gone too rustic. Turn back now."

I very much agree about the signs held by the RB or FG. At first I thought they were cute, now they just irk me. So cheesy.
  • Options
    I kinda wanted to do the scrabble letters in some way, but it would have been appropriate for us since scrabble is my hands down favorite board game and everyone knows it. We didn't, because there were other photos we wanted more. If it had been any of our friends or family sharing that photo, though, I would have side eyed the shit out of it because they are the 80% who don't play Scrabble. 

I don't like cupcakes in lieu of wedding cake, but that's a personal preference. And none of my business. And I think cake toppers in general or just dumb. People know it's a wedding cake.

And ditto, absolutely, to those fucking signs. Obnoxious.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    banana468 said:
    CMGragain said:
    I think donuts are OK at a brunch reception, but put them on a tray, not the wall!

If I added a hate to the list, it would be sleezy DJs with tired, suggestive jokes and too much volume.
    Canon in D is a classic.    Sometimes brides work too hard at being unique.     Canon in D is almost soothing to me.      Like looking at a 3 tier frosted white cake begging for a finger taste.  
    I really don't mind Canon in D.  I'm just happy I don't have to play it anymore.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    banana468 said:
    CMGragain said:

Canon in D is a classic.    Sometimes brides work too hard at being unique.     Canon in D is almost soothing to me.      Like looking at a 3 tier frosted white cake begging for a finger taste.  
    I really don't mind Canon in D.  I'm just happy I don't have to play it anymore.
    I'm sure it gets boring.    

But I'd prefer old and trusted to new and trying too hard.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards